It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
back from Dr report

New endo is going to do these things are these enough blood tests to start with? serum thyroglobulin, thyroid antibodies, Comp metabolic panel, lipid panel, CBCw/diff/platelett, T4, TSh 3rd gen. He is also going to do a whole body thyrogen scan. What is a thyroid cascade profile and should I need it? I am just happy that he was informative and listened to me and his credentials are great. He read my symptoms list and actually examined me, my PCP will not touch me and stays across the room from me. I keep seeing Free t3 and t4 mentioned what is that? Am I getting the test for it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: back from Dr report

I am bumping this to try to get an answer about these tests thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzi
New endo is going to do these things are these enough blood tests to start with? serum thyroglobulin, thyroid antibodies, Comp metabolic panel, lipid panel, CBCw/diff/platelett, T4, TSh 3rd gen. He is also going to do a whole body thyrogen scan. What is a thyroid cascade profile and should I need it? I am just happy that he was informative and listened to me and his credentials are great. He read my symptoms list and actually examined me, my PCP will not touch me and stays across the room from me. I keep seeing Free t3 and t4 mentioned what is that? Am I getting the test for it?
The tests I highlighted in blue are thyroid blood tests. No, he hasn't ordered the free T4/T3. "T4" is total T4, not free.
I don't know what a "cascade profile" is, nor do I know anything about thyrogen scans. Sorry I can't help there.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Free T4/T3 are not even on my lab request so it must be a special test? Maybe I do not need those yet? Maybe these tests are useless for someone with total thyroidectomy? He is trying to rule out that the cancer has spread so maybe its first things first. If my Whole Body Scan comes back negative maybe then he does all the "Free" tests? I am surprised at the lack of info on www on the subject of thyroid cancer spread. I have just joined a group that is dealing with just thyroid cancer so maybe I will get some help there. I hope so I am pretty nervous about all of this talk of medical emergency scans ect....

Old 12-09-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

No, the free tests aren't "special". They may be named other things on the form - "free thyroxine" perhaps, or "triiodothyronine free"... something like that perhaps.

Anyway, I had forgotten when I last answered you about your cancer issues. So yes, I think the doctor's probable main focus right now is determining if you have a recurrence. Once you've been cleared - or heaven forbid, treated for it - he'll probably concentrate on getting your hormone levels just right.

I told you I don't know anything about the scan you're facing, so I probably shouldn't even comment... but I have a big mouth, so I will . The risk of the test is probably infinitismal when compared to the risk of not discovering the possible recurrence. So if it were me, I'd have it done in a heartbeat and not let the risk worry me.
Hope that helped, at least a little.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
(female)

Jooly22 HB User

Hi Benzi,

Are you from Arizona? If you're from the Phoenix area who is your endo? I live in Chandler, AZ and I'm trying to find a good endo.

Thanks!

Julie

Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

midwest1, I agree with that, I am by nature a risk taker anyway, I am also a little tight with my pocketbook and don't want to do one scan with Thyrogen then have some Dr. say " looks like we need to do a real scan". Maybe it does not even work like that. This Thyrogen is not indicated for heart patients I did read that somewhere. I will let everyone know just how it feels to go from Tsh of say 7 to 50 in 24 hours. I just made that up I really don't know how high TSh must go.

Closed Thread