It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 07:55 AM   #1
Inactive

westin4 HB User
hypo and hyper all in the same day????

I have really been feeling wacky and need some opinions.

I have hashi's with normal labs, but anitbodies are off. I have quite an inflammed thyroid and dr is willing to let my try synthroid with the normal labs to see if it helps my symptoms.

Here is my question, some days I feel like I go between hypo and hyper all day long, can that be possible and if so, what will happen if I take synthroid? Will it stabilize this?

Thanks as always for your help,
Karen

Old 12-08-2004, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: hypo and hyper all in the same day????

Which comes first or does one? When first diagnosed with my disease my labs were fine but my energy came and went. I had plenty of energy for the first 5 hrs of the day then Zap none for the next 5 then another surge of energy right before bedtime and then trouble sleeping. I don't know for a fact that this was from thyroid disease, but it does seem like it to me. Out of the last 15 years I only remember a couple where my energy level was welllllll LEVEL Those were years that my meds were working good and I had NO Symptoms at all. By the way are you zooming around, trying to get things done (making up for lost time) and overtiring yourself? Also are you getting regular exercise? No not housework, something like a walk or jog in the park?

Last edited by Benzi; 12-08-2004 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Benzi,
I do exercise regularly. I work everyday even if I have to force myself. I do the same thing. I am like a bomb in the morning.....work like a dog....house it spotless, laundry done by 9am. Then, I crash in the afternoon but by 10 pm I am doing something like painting the hallway! It is crazy, sometimes my husband just sits there looking at me flying around the house like a mad woman! I don't know if the ole thyroid is just sputtering out of control after all this time with the hashi's? I eat a very healthy diet....tons of fruits and veggies, I drink 10 bottles of water a day, I take selenium to help with the thyroid antibody suppression and I work out. At least my dr doesn't think I am a nut case, that is why I have to stick with her instead of an endo. That is why I am so confused about the synthroid issue.....to start or not to start.

Karen

Last edited by angel47630; 12-08-2004 at 08:29 AM.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I would try the synthroid if It was me. It might level you out, the reason I can't say for sure is that part of the problem may be that you are like me, a type A person anyway, I feel a real distress if my house gets dirty and my idea of dirty is most peoples idea of clean LOL The more tired I am, even if severly hypo, the worse a dirty house bothers me, its like my body is too tired to do the work and ol Type A takes over and says " you Have to be cleaner just because you feel bad" I know that makes no sense but I almost feel like I must be extra diliagent with the house to keep this tiredness from taking over my life. Then I just wear myself out, by the way I will paint anything that can't run away from me. LOL

Old 12-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

heh - I'm the same way with the house NEEDING to be cleaned all the time. If it wasn't I'd be pretty anxious about the whole thing..

Saturday was my usual day for cleaning around the house and usually my boyfriend would force me to sit down for anhour and just stop. It was really hard..

Old 12-08-2004, 08:52 AM   #6
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Oh, you two have pegged me to a T!

I am a perfectionist in the house. I have to feel like my house if perfect in order for me to rest. But, the trouble is, I can never achieve the level of perfection I need for myself so I can say, now I can rest. Even if I am sick, I am vacuuming and dusting just in case I get sicker and can't do it......it's really pathetic.

I too will paint anything and everything.........queen of touch up. I am constantly touching up the walls, painting the hallway, you name it. My son will be at a friends house on the weekend and my hubby will announce we are going to sit and watch movies all day and then I will end up popping up and down all day because I just can't sit still anymore. Then I have this crashing tiredness......the whole thing has to be thyroid because I have lost control of my own actions. My biggest fear and I don't want to sound vain, is weight. I don't want to gain any of the weight back I have lost and I am afraid synthroid will make me do that.

KAREN

Old 12-08-2004, 09:32 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User

I am going to pop in here with something totally off the wall.
Last year I moved into a house and repainted the whole thing while I was living in it. After about a month started feeling badly.
Anyway to make a long story short I read your posts about painting alot and I am wondering if paint could have something to do with damaging the thyroid?
Just a thought........

Old 12-08-2004, 09:39 AM   #8
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Hey, I am up for anything anymore. I have also been dealing with severe tmjd and I am at my wits end with all of this. I only use latex paint and our home is newer so it wouldn't have lead paint or have any plaster...........I also heard this recently on a health show...........anti-bacterial soaps suppress the thyroid! They were saying with all these soaps beint anti-bacterial and the clorox wipes and such ( all of which I use daily ) are a real cause of thyroid problems, so one never knows what is causing them problems. Hey, thanks for the idea.

Karen

Old 12-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I too use latex but I also like to varnish things, I think that its because it makes me feel like I am in control of this disease and its symptoms. I know I wear myself out cleaning. I actually vacume floor at least 2 times a day LOL. I am trying to control this but its hard because I keep feeling being too clean, is a virtue. Not only that now the people in my life are starting to EXPECT a germ free house, I hate to let them down and I really hate to let them think this disease is getting the best of me! I have started setting limits (no cleaning after 3pm) The painting while it does make things look cleaner, helps with my creative impulses and helps with stress. We may have to move this post to compulsive disorders LOL just kidding!

Old 12-08-2004, 10:17 AM   #10

Felix73 HB User

I just had to jump in here!! Annemv, what you said about the paint really struck a cord. I had just started painting my house and suddenly, I was too exhausted to do any more. I have also wondered whether there was some connection between the paint and my thyroid problem.

I also have the cleaning bug. Since I've been ill, I've become even more of a control freak. I'm not sure whether its because I spend more time at home these days or whether its got something to do with being more aware of my environment. Probably both!

Felix x

Old 12-08-2004, 10:49 AM   #11
Inactive

westin4 HB User

I had to crack up..........I am a compulsive vacuumer......"hello, my name is Karen and I am addicted to my vaccum. hahahah

I do it each and every day. God forbid if the dog tracks in a leaf cause then I have to do the whole house again. I also have a strict policy.......shoes off at the door!

I guess we are a bit overly controling since we have no control over our health?

Karen

Old 12-08-2004, 11:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Must be, You make me laugh though and that's a good thing. I have a vacume cleaner collection also starting a carpet cleaner collection. I go through at least 2 vacumes a year. Carpet fresh for pet odors is my favorite scent. Why don't they make a vacume that looks like a decoration so I could leave it in the living room? LOL It has to be a control issue with me, and its not that I resent or hate doing it. I love va****** floors.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #13
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Hehehehehehe I hear ya! I go through them too. Seems like most people get one a lifetime and I always need a new one. I got a Hoover bagless last year and I love it!!!! I also use the carpet fresh pet odors myself.......love that!

I don't resent it either..............it is quite pleasurable to me!

Closed Thread