It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
(male)

dimab HB User
Nature-Throid vs Armour

I believe somebody on this forum asked if anybody had a chance to compare Nature-Throid with Armour. I was curious about Nature-throid for long time. My doc told me it can't be obtained from a regular pharmacy and so I never bothered. Finally, I asked him for an RX and in two days got a bottle of Nature-Throid from Vons/Safeway. It was very easy and I didn't have to do anything special.

Impressions. Doesn't seem as strong as Armour. I was slowly bumping up the amount (until I reached 150% of Armour dose) but still didn't feel right. Eventually, I got heart arrythmia/palpitations and even then I still felt cold. After being on Nature-Throid for a week, I started to feel very sick again (bad fatigue, muscle pain, feeling cold) and switched back to Armour.

The interesting thing is that since my wife is also hypothyroid, she tried Nature-Throid with me as well. Double-blind family test :-). She started to feel worse sooner than me (mostly depression). She decided to bump up the dose and eventually increased it by 100%. She didn't get overstimulated like I did but she felt no improvement and was only getting worse. She kept saying that it feels like it's not potent enough. She's been back to Armour for a few days now and feels much better.

It's not clear why Nature-Throid felt so different from Armour. The formula is supposedly the same. I'm wondering whether Nature-Throid lacks the T1 and T2.

The next thing we're trying now is adding some T4 to our Armour diet. We'll report in a month.

And in case you're wondering how come a husband and wife have suddenly become hypothyroid almost at the same time, we're wondering about it ourselves. If you have any clues, please do let us know.

Warm regards,
Dima

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Nature-Throid vs Armour

Your observations on the differences are interesting. I thought Naturethroid was the same, too, but with hypoallergenic binders and fillers.
Most of the time, successful thyroid treatment is based on trial and error. What tests does your doc watch to gauge your progress?

Old 12-09-2004, 05:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

I take Nature Throid but only a 1/2 grain, the rest I take synthetic T4 (Unithroid). I have never taken Armour so I can't compare and have no idea if it would differ for me. I have done pretty well on it...so far. I was on a higher dose but had to lower because I got too much T3. As far as I know it is the same as Armour only different binders and fillers. My dr is very knowledgeable about this sort of stuff so I'll ask her next time I'm in and see what she has to say about the 2, she also has a thyroid problem and I believe she has tried both, it will be interesting to see what her thoughts are on the differences.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Interesting that you saw a difference between the Naturethroid and the Armour. Just food for thought... I don't know what could be causing that, but it would be well worth having the pharmacy check the expiration date on the bottle. What was the lot number? Have there been any recalls that include that lot number? Was the Naturethroid stored properly? Was it transported in a hot truck? The potency of any thyroid med is likely to reduce greatly if it is stored in the heat for any period of time.

Another thing to consider is that diferent people repond to different brands in different ways. I might find that the Naturethroid is stronger and have to reduce my dose while you and your wife didn't even do well when you increased your dose. (I amnot about to try to change my brands or dose, though, since I am stable, healthy and happy on my Armour/Unithroid cocktail. )

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
Inactive

sillysundy43 HB User

Meep, do you take both Nature-Throid and Armour? The reason I'm asking is because when I couldn't get Armour at my usual place on the internet, I found a place where I could get Nature-Throid and ordered a bottle of that.

I was going to finish taking the Armour before starting on the Nature-Throid, but was wondering why you do the combo? Does it work better?

Also, I was wondering how long you have been taking natural thyroid and how much weight you have lost.

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysundy43
Meep, do you take both Nature-Throid and Armour? The reason I'm asking is because when I couldn't get Armour at my usual place on the internet, I found a place where I could get Nature-Throid and ordered a bottle of that.

I was going to finish taking the Armour before starting on the Nature-Throid, but was wondering why you do the combo? Does it work better?

Also, I was wondering how long you have been taking natural thyroid and how much weight you have lost.

Thanks.
Meep only takes Armour and Unithroid. I take Nature Throid and Unithroid. The reason for the added T4 is to keep the T4 level up. Both Armour and Nature Throid have a lot of T3, the T3 to T4 ratio for some of us is not correct, we need the added T4 to keep our T4 levels at a good point.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Meep, do you take both Nature-Throid and Armour?
DEA answered that question just right!

Quote:
I have been on Natural thyroid for over four and a half years, and added the Unithroid to it a little over three years ago.

Weight was never a big problem for me, but I was over what I wanted to be. At my highest, I weighed 178. I maintained 172 until about a year and a half ago when I finally got my dose right and then magically lost about 10 pounds (163). I was still over what I wanted to be, but I was wearing clothes that hadn't been comfortable for years!

Next was getting rid of a bad habit I had of eating a snack before bed every night. Eliminating that one bad habit was good for another 10 pounds, and I now stay steady at my goal weight of 153. In total that would be 25 pounds.

Keep in mind that losing weight was NOT my goal. Feeling well and getting my levels where I wanted them was my goal, and the rest took care of itself.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-17-2004, 07:47 AM   #8
(female)

almondjoy HB User

Is Nature-Throid a prescription?

Old 12-17-2004, 08:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Yes, it's like Armour, only by prescription in the US and Canada.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:33 AM   #10

Renee' HB User

Quote:
... I found a place where I could get Nature-Throid and ordered a bottle of that.
Hi Sillysunday, you actually found Nature-Throid available over the net? I'd love to know where, sigh. I've searched and searched. I found one place that sold it but it ended up just being Armour, hahaha.

I would like to try the Nature-Throid just for comparison's sake, but my doc didn't want to be bothered.

Closed Thread