It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

diana665 HB User
Unhappy Metallic taste in Mouth

I have a horrible metallic taste that I can't get rid of. It has invaded my entire mouth, and has effected my eating ,sleeping and my husband says bad breath is now an issue.
I have read that it could be my Thyroid... any info on this.....please Help!!

Old 12-08-2004, 08:42 PM   #2
(male)

mikeb HB User
Re: Metallic taste in Mouth

About 2-3 years ago, I began to experience a "metalic" taste in my mouth.
I searched these boards and found alot of info about "amalgam" dental fillings.
Some claimed that the metal taste was being caused by the metal fillings in my molars. I did alot of other research and decided to have my "amalgams" replaced with "Composite resin dental fillings" (8 of them total).

The metalic taste dissapeared immediately.

If you have amalgam fillings, they could be the culprit.

These boards have alot of good info on the topic and there are plenty of other websites as well. If you talk to a dentist about this try ahead of time to determine if they are experienced, equipped and trained in/for the task of amalgam R&R.

My 2 cents,
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Thyroid malfunction can cause taste aberrations like that. I had a burning tongue before treatment; my mom had a salty taste in her mouth.
But if that's the only symptom you have, it isn't likely to be from your thyroid. Thyroid disease causes signs and symptoms in most of the body's systems. You can find symptom lists in our "Information Archive" sticky thread at the top of the subject page.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I agree with midwest1 about if that is your only symptom, I have had the metal taste in my mouth a couple of times when hyperthyriod, I don't have metal fillings or any fillings, as matter of fact, but the symptom which always came with this metal taste was chest pains, racing heart 140 bpm and over, intolerence to heat not actually feeling hot, but would have a mini heat stroke and get very sick. This happened in Arizona both times the temp was over 114 and I was hyper on arrival at the hospital. They called it thyroid storm and kept me there for 3 days both times. There are other conditions which cause the metal taste, some of them just dental conditions, also GERD though these to have other symptoms, so I would not worry too much if that was my only symptom.

Last edited by Benzi; 12-09-2004 at 08:00 AM. Reason: add

Old 12-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #5

KeriLea HB User

I just thought I would add that the only time in my life that I had a metallic taste in my mouth was at the beginning of my second pregnancy and it can indeed be a symptom of pregnancy. It may be something to look into if there is any chance that you could indeed be pregnant.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Mercury poisoning (amalgam fillings) can cause the metallic taste, AND the foul breath.

Another thing that could be indicated here is lead poisoning.

My first impression was an infection or abcess. It might be a good idea to get to a dentist and have a professional look at it.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread