It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
(female)

scriv HB User
Unhappy low TSH low T3...Help please

Hi..I am new here with a big worry. Please help.

My lab results are not normal...T3 of 4 (range 3.95 -6.8) but TSH of 0.12. I am def not hyper!! The doctor is to retest in early February.

However, I also have eye probs...intermittant stabbing pain behind the eye and headaches...I am worrying that it is a pituitry tumour pressing on the optic nerve.

Anybody any experience of anything like this?

Old 12-10-2004, 05:57 AM   #2

wanttobehealthy HB User
Re: low TSH low T3...Help please

Did you have free T4 done? It could be seconary hypo?
My TSH and free T4 are both low & was diagnosed with secondary hypothyroidism.
Secondary is caused by failure of the pituitary & could be pituitary tumor or cyst.

Last edited by wanttobehealthy; 12-10-2004 at 05:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 06:40 AM   #3
Inactive

westin4 HB User

scriv,

I have had the stabbing pain behind my eyes and for me it is tmjd related. I had for a few years and then it stopped with a proper tmj splint. Have you ever had tmj or jaw problems?

Karen

Old 12-10-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Scriv, are you on any thyroid meds at this time? If you're taking hormones then your TSH means little, you want to go by your FTs (not your Total T3, but your Free T3)

Also, are you eating low carb? Very low carb can cause both T3 and TSH to be lowered - it's your body's way of slowing metabolims when it percieves that you're dieting. Restricting carbs low enough to cause ketosis can hinder your body's ability to convert T4 to T3, simply increasing carbs if you're doing LC can help aleviate this.

FWIW, when my FT4 was really low I had constant headaches and I'd get this eye twitch that just wouldn't stop; it was very scary and quite distracting.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

scriv HB User

Thanks everyone...
I am on 125 mcg thyroxine and the T3 is the free T3 reading. For some reason they did not do a T4 test, but my doctor has asked for a full thyroid profile at the beginning of Feb.
No, I know about the low carb problem. I am easily hypoglaecaemic so have to watch an adequate and frequent carb ontake anyway.
I also have a constant headache and annoying twitch at the moment as well.
I must admit I am thinking of a pituitary tumour..I have been in contact with my optician today and he is to check the optic nerve on Monday.
I'm sorry, I don't know what tmj is, angel....

Old 12-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

scriv HB User

Wanttobehealthy, what caused your secondary hypothyroidism and what did they do about it?

Old 12-10-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Inactive

westin4 HB User

tmj is a malfunctiioning of either the jaw joint itself or the muscles and tendons surrounding it. It often causes pain in the eyes. It is dental related
Karen

Old 12-10-2004, 02:24 PM   #8

Renee' HB User

Scriv, I've got the same problem. Low tsh & low T3. This past week, and even now, I've got mild headaches, and pressure in my eyes. They aren't dry, everything just aches. If you figure out what is going on, please post it. How does one know if their pituitary gland is in rebellion? What are other symptoms? Will it show on regular blood work?

Old 12-10-2004, 05:07 PM   #9

wanttobehealthy HB User

As far as secondary I was diagnosed with a low TSH & T4 before I was on medication for it. Maybye you have a conversion problem?

I was just diagnosed about a month ago & it took a lot of years to figure it out cause the docs only tested TSH.

I am in the process of further testing of hormones & MRI to check the pituitary.

So I'm not sure yet the cause. I have family members with the same problem. It is hereditary in my family.

My aunt is now having her growth hormones tested & also getting a MRI.

Pituitary causes a lot more problems then thyroid & I am just learning all this.

This explains why my symtoms go beyond Thyroid. There is someone one here that has this problem Chris I think was explaining some of this to me. He has more experience & could help.

Last edited by wanttobehealthy; 12-10-2004 at 05:12 PM.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:56 AM   #10
(female)

scriv HB User

Renee, I'm so pleased to find someone else with the same problem.. I think my doc is trying very hard not to worry me. She can't retest until Feb - she said the thyroid could be affected by stress or a virus, so wanted to give it time to settle down (or otherwise) before another reading, which she hopes would clarify what is going on. She is also testing for antibodies - I think the TSH receptors on the thyroid can sometimes be blocked by these.
But I still worry about this eye business...a few weeks ago the eyelid drooped significantly, but went back.

I

Last edited by scriv; 12-11-2004 at 03:56 AM.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:15 AM   #11
(female)

scriv HB User

Am just updating as I have been to the optician again today. He did a vision field test, which was quite normal. So no evidence of a pituitary tumour there then.

In the meantime, my eye still aches, hurts, twitches and stabs!! I feel hypothyroid and am still worrying about whether anything is wrong with the pituitary.

Closed Thread