It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 01:51 AM   #1
(female)

kiya HB User
Question about "foggy" mind...

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I've not been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My TSH is 2.17. But...

I was wondering whether there are any natural remedies for getting rid of (or even just improving slightly) the fogginess I seem to have every single day? It's like I'm waking up all day long. Slightly detached from everything, not quite here and definitely not as alert as I used to be.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated. I'm taking vitamins A, C & E, zinc and selenium daily (have only been doing this for less than a week though).

kiya.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Question about "foggy" mind...

Hi Kiya, Is TSH the only test they did? If you are having a foggy mind that could be from hypoT. I know I had a foggy mind with hypothyroidism.

You also need the freet3 and freet4 tests. It can give a clearer picture of how the thyroid is working. If you have those tests, you can post them here along with their ranges and one of the experts here can interpret them for you.

Everyone has their setpoint in the ranges that they feel best at. Your TSH is 2.17 but that might not be right for you. It all depends on how you feel. Do you have any other symptoms besides foggy mind?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

kiya HB User

Yes, unfortunately. I have chronic fatigue, exhaustion, muscle aches and pains, cold hands/feet, forgetfulness and lack of co-ordination... Doctor won't send me for any more tests as they all came back "normal" and I haven't been able to find a new doctor yet.

I just wondered if there was something I could do or something I could buy in the pharmacists that would help.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Oh these doctors!! Did you happen to tell the doctor all of your symptoms?
Some doctors will listen and some won't.

I wish there was something I could tell you to take that would help. I have also had trouble getting my doctors to understand how I feel.

Maybe someone else here knows something you can take now.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:38 AM   #5
(female)

kiya HB User

I've just phoned my doctors to ask them about having a fT3 and fT4 done as well. They've asked me to phone back on Monday. Hmm, who wants to place bets on whether the doc will give me the blood test form??? Worth a shot though.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hmmm!!! I am not going to bet on that one cause I could be wrong. You might just get what you want.

Just tell them you want something done because you feel awful. I have an idea of what might help. Go to the sticky ARCHIVES at the top of the boards.
There is a post that shows all the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
If you could print it out somehow, and check the places that shows your symptoms. Take it to the doctor and let him look at it.

Hope you can get something done. Take care!!

Old 12-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Express how hard it has become for you to drive your car. You are afraid of being a danger to the community. You are only trying to be responsible by checking into this.

Just as an example of how this may work: My hypo symptoms showed.....BEFORE my TSH rose, although it was higher than your is now. One doctor told me that the text books don't address why this is or that it even happens. Most doctors do not ever consider this.

Tell them that you know of people with this same symtpoms...and it took them many doctors to get the right testing...and you are only looking for a little help with this.

Good luck!

~S

Old 12-13-2004, 03:52 AM   #8
(female)

kiya HB User

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!! Just phoned the doctor's surgery and she's refused to write a blood test form for TSH, fT3 and fT4!!!! I hate the doctors in the UK; they have such power over who has what done, it's like they're playing God with their patients.

Sorry... kinda felt the need to vent.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:13 AM   #9
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Hi Kiya,

JMHO, but it may be time to aggressively look for a new doctor. I've been seeing the same endo since 1988, and I just decided to see someone else for a consultation/second opinion (I have an appointment this week). A doctor should never refuse to order blood tests for a patient who asks for them. You have many hypoT symptoms, and you need to be tested.

Best of luck to you.

LT

Old 12-13-2004, 05:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya
Yes, unfortunately. I have chronic fatigue, exhaustion, muscle aches and pains, cold hands/feet, forgetfulness and lack of co-ordination... Doctor won't send me for any more tests as they all came back "normal" and I haven't been able to find a new doctor yet.

I just wondered if there was something I could do or something I could buy in the pharmacists that would help.

If I didn't know you posted this I'd have thought I posted it myself - we sound so alike...

Old 12-13-2004, 06:03 AM   #11
(female)

kiya HB User

It's comforting to know other people are in a similar situation though.

LT - I wish finding another doctor was easy... unfortunately, I live and work locally; work at a doctor's surgery and have worked with most of the other doctors in my area. This only leaves one practice and apparently I'm outside their practice area.

Basically, my doctor's diagnosed CFS and that's the end of the story as far as she is concerned. I'm going to write a letter to her explaining my reasoning behind having further tests (I hate blood tests - they make me faint - why would I have more than I feel I need to?!). There's a great article on an Australian thyroid website about research done in Norway on 65,000 people, which proved that most people have a TSH of 1.0-1.5 and that anything over 1.5 is "unlikely" to be normal. Think I'll print that out to show the "knowledgeable" ol' doctor!!!

Closed Thread