It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 03:44 AM   #1
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User
Question Problems With Conversion From T4 To T3: Help!!!!!

Hi All
As I was writing a reply to someone that responed to another question of mine, it dawned on me there has to be someone out there that has problems with converting T4 to T3, and I am wondering if anyone as any info on it. Everytime I try and take T4 I have a problem. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem might be or help find the info.

Thanks Bunches

God Bless You and Yours

Old 12-10-2004, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Problems With Conversion From T4 To T3: Help!!!!!

I have located an article by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum that applies to your question brilliantly. I'm waiting approval by the moderator to post the URL for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 04:05 AM   #3
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
I have located an article by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum that applies to your question brilliantly. I'm waiting approval by the moderator to post the URL for you.
Thanks Midwest, I appreciate your research can't wait to read it. Thanks for using your valuable time to do this for one of your fellow thyroid suffers.
May God Bless You and Yours

Old 12-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Sorry to say the webpage I wanted to direct you to is an unapproved link... But I can paraphrase what Dr. Teitelbaum said there.

The reasons for poor conversion are much like those Meep outlined in your earlier "Readings and combo meds" thread. (Trust Meep's information to be as good as any doctor you can find.) Any kind of severe physical or mental stress can cause poor conversion, because the body wants to conserve energy by turning active T3 into 'reverse T3'. Even once the stress is relieved, the inability to convert may persist. Dr. T says that if the problem is with the thyroid gland itself, Synthroid can work fine, but that if the problem is poor conversion, treating with Synthroid alone usually makes the condition even worse. For what it's worth, I have read - I forgot who - that most people have some degree of conversion problem. No one does it perfectly... That's why Armour works best for most people.

Dr. T also refers to Dr. John Lowe... a noted fibromyalgia and thyroid expert... who says fibro patients usually need much higher-than-standard doses of T3 to feel well. You might want to look up his work for more information.

I have read Dr. T's first book From Fatigued to Fantastic. The focus of the book is on CFS and FMS, but there is a lot of information about the connection between those conditions and hypoT. I understand he also has a new book, which I haven't read, and don't know how it might or might not apply to you.

Like you, I had to start treatment very slowly and progress like a snail. I had a horrid reaction to Synthroid... couldn't take it... which might corraborate Dr. T's theory about poor converters needing Armour.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

Selenium can help with the conversion. 200mg daily for a month or so to start and then you can back down to 100.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:40 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

I've read a few other doctors who say t3 is necessary because as many as 25 percent of the cells in the body require "direct" t3 as opposed to "converted" t3.

Many other doctors are simply still not convinced of this. As a patient, startved of t3 for the last few months, I found PROFOUND improvement in adding even a tiny portion of t3.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
(female)

Lynn** HB User

Thanks Midwest for your excellent post! Trying to understand just what the heck one's body is doing is certainly HELPFUL with well informed, helpful members like you taking the time to help those of us who just don't know! Thank you!

Mental stress has CERTAINLY been a huge part of my life in the past 12 years...so it's NO WONDER why I'm in the condition I'm in! But, until reading what you wrote...I didn't really realise it could truely been working that much against me.

The CPounding Pharmacist talked about reverse T3 with me...so I need to learn and read up on what it all means! Thanks for your kindness, caring and sharing Midwest!

Old 12-15-2004, 05:52 AM   #8
(female)

pickapro1999 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
Sorry to say the webpage I wanted to direct you to is an unapproved link... But I can paraphrase what Dr. Teitelbaum said there.

The reasons for poor conversion are much like those Meep outlined in your earlier "Readings and combo meds" thread. (Trust Meep's information to be as good as any doctor you can find.) Any kind of severe physical or mental stress can cause poor conversion, because the body wants to conserve energy by turning active T3 into 'reverse T3'. Even once the stress is relieved, the inability to convert may persist. Dr. T says that if the problem is with the thyroid gland itself, Synthroid can work fine, but that if the problem is poor conversion, treating with Synthroid alone usually makes the condition even worse. For what it's worth, I have read - I forgot who - that most people have some degree of conversion problem. No one does it perfectly... That's why Armour works best for most people.

Dr. T also refers to Dr. John Lowe... a noted fibromyalgia and thyroid expert... who says fibro patients usually need much higher-than-standard doses of T3 to feel well. You might want to look up his work for more information.

I have read Dr. T's first book From Fatigued to Fantastic. The focus of the book is on CFS and FMS, but there is a lot of information about the connection between those conditions and hypoT. I understand he also has a new book, which I haven't read, and don't know how it might or might not apply to you.

Like you, I had to start treatment very slowly and progress like a snail. I had a horrid reaction to Synthroid... couldn't take it... which might corraborate Dr. T's theory about poor converters needing Armour.

Midwest, sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Thanks for info went to Dr. Lowe's site and read alot. Funny that you mentioned Fibro. I was diagnosed with it 10 or more years ago. At the time the doctor tried cytomel on my husband and myself with not very good results. And like the endo says if you have one auto-immune you have more I have been diagnosed with about 5 through the 10yrs. And now that I have hypo. I would imagine more will pop-up if I don't get my meds situated. It is really hard to get this figured out with so many factors involved. Thanks Again You have been a big Help.

May God Bless You and Yours & Have a Great Holiday Season

Last edited by pickapro1999; 12-15-2004 at 05:54 AM.

Closed Thread