It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

kloet HB User
Question What exactly does Selenium do?

I have just recently started taking Selenium. I take about 100mcg per day. Is that a good amount or should I take more? I have found since I started taking this I am not as hungary and I am starting to feel alittle more energy. Just wondering if it was because of the Selenium or maybe something else is going on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: What exactly does Selenium do?

Selenium is the component of an enzyme that converts T4 into T3 at the cell level. That's why it's vital for thyroid health. Another thing it can do is reduce TPO antibodies by up to 49%, according to a large study.
Beyond thyroid health, it has antioxidant properties that help "mop up" free radicals which contribute to cancer. It may help in preventing heart disease. It's really great stuff!

Whether it's making you feel better is hard to say. Only way to know would be to have a trial period without it.
I have found that when I miss a few days without my calcium/magnesium, I get bad sugar cravings. That isn't an effect that I've read anything about, but it seems true for me. Very odd, I think.

The amount you're taking is good. You can assume you'll get at least a little from your diet... but probably nowhere near enough. If you take a multivitamin, check the ingredients to see if any is included in the formula. Just remember that 400 mcgs is the absolute upper limit to take, after which it becomes toxic.

And finally, for what it's worth, selenium from a yeast source is more absorbable than the other types. The label will give you that information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

kloet HB User

Thanks so much for the great info. So my other question would be that if my Free T4 levels were at the lower end of the range and everything else like Free T3 and TSH were within range would taking Selenium help with my Free T4? My Free T4 was 9.2(range 9.1-23.8), Free T3 was 4.6(range 2.5-5.7) and my TSH was 1.00 (range 0.3-5.0). Your advice would be greatly appreciated. So thanks so much and God Bless.

Last edited by kloet; 12-12-2004 at 02:11 PM.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Since Selenium is responsible for many enzymatic processes, it could very well help with synthesis of T4. I believe that it does, but it is much more beneficial for T3 than T4 levels. Low-ish T4 and "normal" T3 levels are more often seen in people that are wither Iodine deficient, or are taking Armour or a combination that has higher ratio of T3 than what that individual needs.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread