It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
(female)

kini23 HB User
Thyroid and weight

Hi all I have a few questions about my thyroid condition. I was feeling pretty bad so I went to the doc to have my levels checked. When the tests came back the doc said I was very hypothyroid. She prescribed an increase in my synthroid but did not really explain what I was up against. I dont know if my weight will go back to normal and how long will it take? She wants me to come back in two months. I guess I just need to know if I am going to have weight issues my whole life because of this. I am also extremely depressed and I am having major mood swings. I have been taking the new dose for about two weeks now and I feel better physically but my weight has not gone down and I am really depressed. I have an eight month old daughter and I need to be 100% healthy for her. I guess I just would like to hear from someone else who understands what is going on and I need to know that I am not the only one going through this.

Old 12-13-2004, 05:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User
Re: Thyroid and weight

I'm also dealing with weight issues, very bad mood swings, and being quite cold all the time - it really does suck, and you aren't alone. At least your on synthroid! I'm still waiting..

From what I understand though it does take time for the synthroid to fully get into your system - so maybe 2 months isn't enough?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #3

soccerspeed HB User
Re: Thyroid and weight

kini23,

i gained 15 lbs in two weeks right before i got dxed with hashi's. this was despite compulsively running and starving myself. literately.

anyhow, i've been on meds for i think 5 or 6 weeks now (25 of cytomel 50 of synthroid, plus 200 mg of selenium and a multi-vite) and i've lost 12 of the 15 lbs that i gained. mind you, i'm young (early 20's), and active (at least 10 miles of running and at least 8 of biking per day). i'm pretty sure the weight wouldn't have melted off if i weren't so active, but nonetheless, don't lose hope!!

one thing that i learned from these boards is not to starve yourself. i am owe a huge debt of gratitude to the boarders here (you know who you are) for telling me to get my head out of my rear and take care of myself.

i am confident that i will get back to 100 percent. and you will too.

(FWIW, i presently eat about 3000 calories per day throughout the day, i'm around 5'6'', 13% body fat, and 135 lbs. this is down from eating 0 - 500 calories per day, being 15% body fat, and 148 lbs last month. go figure.)

Last edited by soccerspeed; 12-13-2004 at 09:28 AM.

Closed Thread