It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 07:10 AM   #1
(female)

SweetSPN HB User
Question Newbie, Help my Thyroid Ultrasound resluts are in!

undefined Iam nervous and scared. I was in here last night trying to locate inforamtion and I found lots pertaining to thyroid problems. This is my problem I went in to doctor's a couple of weeks ago due to frequent menustration. Five to be exact in 45 days. I gained six pounds in two weeks and have beenbattling the weight for bout 8 months. During all this time Doctor said I wasn't eating right, and was too stressed. He then prescribed an antidepressant and was given Atipex a diet pill and Amour. No results.

Until 2 weeks ago doctor said well I think we ned to check for a pituaitary tumor and then he felt my neck and said the thyroid felt enlarged. He then scheduled and Ultrasound.. Here are the findings...Normal size thyroid gland with hypoechoic nodule identified with a single hypoechioc nodule identified in the right and left thyroid lobes, no specific. Doctor called me Friday night to tell me they have found three small nodules... measurements one focal area in right thyroid measuring 6x3mm. Second area in left measuring 9mm.x10cm..x4mm. What does all this mean?

My TSH, freeT3, FreeT4 were normal as of November 30. could somoene please tell me what is going on and what all this means? I am having a thyroid uptake scan done otday and tomorrow and i am a nervous wreck. I am 26 with four kids, a recent LPN grad, no thyroid cancer in my family. A quick response will be greatly appreciated. I have not slept in almost a week witha few hours here and there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User
Re: Newbie, Help my Thyroid Ultrasound resluts are in!

What were your TSH, FT3, FT4 results?

Having your doctor say they are "normal" doesn't mean they're normal.

My TSH result falls within the normal range right now and I can tell you - I'm not normal.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSPN
[SIZE=3]During all this time Doctor said I wasn't eating right, and was too stressed. He then prescribed an antidepressant and was given Atipex a diet pill and Amour. No results.
This doctor is a lawsuit waiting to happen. He should absolutely NOT have given you Armour without doing bloodwork to see if your thyroid needed help. It is not a diet aid, and should never be prescribed as such. (I'm not saying you don't have thyroid disease, but he apparently didn't know that at the beginning.) And the trite old pseudo-diagnosis of "depression and stress" is negligence.
His comment about a pituitary tumor is even worse. Without bloodwork, he couldn't possibly suspect it, and he was wrong to scare you by even mentioning it without testing. Pituitary tumors are rare, and I seriously doubt you have one. You might want to double-think continuing with this guy.

I can't comment much on your ultrasound findings, except to say that many, many people have thyroid nodules, and up to 98% of the nodules are not cancer. The odds of yours being cancer are low. So relax and go take a nap now....

Quote:
My TSH, freeT3, FreeT4 were normal as of November 30.
To his credit, he did the right tests. I'd like to see thyroid antibodies added to them, though. Otherwise, I doubt they really are "normal". Just being within the lab range doesn't mean the levels are good for you. Post the results and lab ranges if you have them. We can tell you for sure.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
(female)

SweetSPN HB User

I can't find my copy of the lab. I do remember that the TSh was 0.65. The range was 0.34-???. The Doctor's office called about an hour ago and told me I am scheduled for a full body MRI next Thursday. I still feel so left in the dark.

As for the Amour they never did intial blood work they did run a TSH some time during my amour experimentation. Again MY labs were supposedly normal although I never seen copies. They were suspecting Wilson's thyroid syndrome because I had such low body temp that was the only reason they even put me on thyroid meds. A few months later I had a bout of high blood pressure with a very rapid heart rate that put me in the ER for several hours. My heart rate was 162 beats aminute. I was taken off all meds and sent to a cardiologist in which nothing was found to be wrong after an echo and wearing a monitor for a month.

I have no visiable lumps in my neck or anything but I have been tired for a long time have been diagnosed with almost everything from chronic faitigue syndrome, fibromalagia etc. What is goign on?

Old 12-13-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
(female)

superstring HB User

Dear Sweet(ie): I can tell you are blown out of your tree by this. But have faith: Most thyroid nodules are benign, most thyroid cancer especially in a young person is slow growing & very curable, and with a good doctor you can get your possible hypothyroidism under control. This is a really good board. There also are some very helpful websites out there (real ones, not the goofy ones) with a lot of information about thyroid. Midwest knows a lot more than I do about hypo & hyper thyroid--my area of half-baked expertise is thyroid nodules. Until last July I didn't really even know where my thyroid was. Then a nodule was felt in my neck & I had tests which showed the nodule & some cysts & finally surgery in November because of a low but not zero risk of cancer in the solid nodule. Turned out to be benign...I found this website the day before I was to leave for surgery! As Midwest says, most thyroid nodules are benign. I can't tell from your first email how big they were--take another look, maybe you had a typo? They typically measure them in centimeters--when a nodule is over 2 cm they start calling them "large" in some of the literature. Also hypoechoic means it's a cyst, i.e. fluid filled, not a solid tumor. Sounds as if you have what is called "multinodular goiter" (like me), apparently pretty common, and less risky for cancer than a single nodule (although both are low risk). Now, what they should do with this is first measure your TSH, free T3, free T4 (but as Midwest says, you can still be hypo or hyper even if your numbers are in the normal range--this would be pretty much dependent first on your symptoms..Midwest knows more about where to go from there.) For enlarged thyroid, ultrasound--your doctor apparently felt your thyroid was enlarged, and this is an appropriate test. Since he found nodules, it is appropriate to do a thyroid scan. This will show if any solid or partially solid nodules are "hot" (hyperfunctioning, i.e., putting out a lot of thyroid hormone--mine was hot) or "cold" (not putting out thyroid hormone). "Cold" nodules are a higher cancer risk than hot ones. (They can be "warm" too...) But really, if there is a solid nodule, or a partially solid one, they ought to do a fine needle biopsy to see if they can identify the cells (don't worry, this is no big deal, although it sounds terrible; I had 2 of them. But don't let just anybody stick a needle in your neck; should be done by a radiologist, and guided by ultrasound.) This way if it is cancer they can take it out with no more screwing around. If not--well, they still should keep watching you with ultrasound and TSH etc for any changes. I agree with Midwest--it's time to see a real endocrinologist, someone who specializes in thyroid. And don't be satisfied with just one opinion. Also, you can get copies of all your test results just by asking for them & signing a release. And this board is a great place to get people to explain them to you in human being terms!! Best of luck. I probably left out something, but I just want to get across to you that this is nothing to be losing sleep over!! You will come through just fine. But it's time to become a student of the thyroid gland!

Last edited by superstring; 12-13-2004 at 06:17 PM.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:44 AM   #6

dogtired HB User

Quote:
undefined Iam nervous and scared. I was in here last night trying to locate inforamtion and I found lots pertaining to thyroid problems. This is my problem I went in to doctor's a couple of weeks ago due to frequent menustration. Five to be exact in 45 days. I gained six pounds in two weeks and have beenbattling the weight for bout 8 months. During all this time Doctor said I wasn't eating right, and was too stressed. He then prescribed an antidepressant and was given Atipex a diet pill and Amour. No results.

Until 2 weeks ago doctor said well I think we ned to check for a pituaitary tumor and then he felt my neck and said the thyroid felt enlarged. He then scheduled and Ultrasound.. Here are the findings...Normal size thyroid gland with hypoechoic nodule identified with a single hypoechioc nodule identified in the right and left thyroid lobes, no specific. Doctor called me Friday night to tell me they have found three small nodules... measurements one focal area in right thyroid measuring 6x3mm. Second area in left measuring 9mm.x10cm..x4mm. What does all this mean?

My TSH, freeT3, FreeT4 were normal as of November 30. could somoene please tell me what is going on and what all this means? I am having a thyroid uptake scan done otday and tomorrow and i am a nervous wreck. I am 26 with four kids, a recent LPN grad, no thyroid cancer in my family. A quick response will be greatly appreciated. I have not slept in almost a week witha few hours here and there
SweetSPN
Your ultrasound sounds pretty typical the nuc med scan would be nice though to
see what if anything those nodules are doing.I have several isoechoic
nodules that never showed up on the nuc med scan.Be sure to be off
the thyroid meds for at least seven days before the scan and npo
after midnight the night before. Try to get some rest and post your
results here when you get them.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:16 AM   #7
(female)

SweetSPN HB User

I knew about being off meds however I had to be off of em for 3 weeks prior to test. I did not need to fast either. I did glance at computer screen on my way out of the Nuc scan and seen all three pics they took said high

Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
(female)

SweetSPN HB User

Hi, just wanted to let you know that hypoechioc means it is solid not cyst atleast that is what the doc said.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:43 AM   #9

dogtired HB User

Quote:
I knew about being off meds however I had to be off of em for 3 weeks prior to test. I did not need to fast either. I did glance at computer screen on my way out of the Nuc scan and seen all three pics they took said high
Eating supposedly interferes with the absorption of the radioactive iodine.
I guess all facilities are different but I only had to be off meds for seven
days.

Last edited by dogtired; 12-14-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #10

dogtired HB User

Quote:
Hi, just wanted to let you know that hypoechioc means it is solid not cyst atleast that is what the doc said.
Actually the terms hypoechoic and anechoic are interchangeable and
mean a cyst. Hyperechoic and isoechoic means a solid or cyst with
internal echos i.e. hemorrhage

Old 12-14-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
(female)

SweetSPN HB User

Is it possible to have goiter and have no visable lumps? Someone said it kind of sounds like a multi goiter! My doc specifically stated when calling me on phone that they found three small, solid nodules on thyroid during ultrasound. As I said on computer screen today with all three pics it said high.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:55 AM   #12
(female)

SweetSPN HB User

Can you be hyper but still have symptoms of hypo?

Old 12-14-2004, 12:12 PM   #13

dogtired HB User

Quote:
Is it possible to have goiter and have no visable lumps? Someone said it kind of sounds like a multi goiter! My doc specifically stated when calling me on phone that they found three small, solid nodules on thyroid during ultrasound. As I said on computer screen today with all three pics it said high.
When a patient has multiple nodules whether they are cystic or solid
it is usually interpreted as a multinodular goiter which is very common.
You can't always feel them either if they are small like yours.What your
doctor stated on the phone and what you posted in your first thread
are contradicting each other.Hypoechoic does not mean solid.I don't
know about what you saw on the computer screen was this the first
day of scanning or were you having the uptake done today?

Old 12-14-2004, 12:16 PM   #14

dogtired HB User

Quote:
Can you be hyper but still have symptoms of hypo?
Like midwest stated you should have all your antibodies tested as well.
Some of the symptoms of hypo and hyper overlap..and I've been told
if you have high antibodies you can fluctuate back and forth between
hypo and hyper like I'm doing.It can all be very confusing.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #15
(female)

SweetSPN HB User
Angry Re: Newbie, Help my Thyroid Ultrasound resluts are in!

Dogtired: Beleive me I know how confusing it sounds but everything i told you is what was told to me by docotor and what says in my ultrasound report. i had the actual scan today and i saw under all three pics before i left all white and above em it said"high".

Doctor called me this evening and said this... beleive me it gets more confusing. He said well your labs came back and you have quite a bit of TSH in your blood but, your levels are a little low. Your scan shows alittle extra activity however your three nodules are gone!! I said do oyu want me to resume my armour he said no no more thyroid. Let me remind you that i had my thyroid profile done on Nov. 30 and they were normal now two weeks later they are crazy.. Two weeks ago I had three nodules/solid but they are now gone.

He said well this is why I am sending you to Cleveland to amke sure there is nothing wrong with the pituaitary which too can screw up the thyroid. I should feel reli8eved but I feel frustrated! I guess I will be checking in with the pituitary threads.

Closed Thread