It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 06:30 PM   #1

scaredincollege HB User
Angry hypothyroidism???

I just got my blood work done today to test for hypothyroidism. When I was 15 the doctor told me to get my thyroid checked out because it was enlarged, but I didn't and every since then I have went from a weight of 125 all the way up to my present weight of 155 just in the past four years. I am now 19. I am always tired and my back always hurts all over. I am also always really cold and my stomach does not digest things very well. I only have a bowel movement about every two weeks but after I eat I always get bloated no matter what it is I eat. I have also been checking my keytones when I use the restroom and they are always low. Does this sound like hypothyroidism?

Old 12-13-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: hypothyroidism???

Sounds like you better get it checked out. Digestive problems, being cold, constipation and weight gain are all things that can be associated with a thyroid problem as well as many other things. If your thyroid has been enlarged in the past then there is a good chance that these things are being caused by some problem with your thyroid.
Be sure you get more than your TSH checked, they really need to check your FREE T3 and FREE T4 and both of those need to be in the upper 1/3 of the lab range, also you should be tested for thyroid antibodies, TPO and TSI.
Keep us posted on what you find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 05:55 AM   #3

scaredincollege HB User

Thank you...I should get the results from my test on Wednesday. It seems my thyroid becomes even more enlarged when I am stressed. I amgoing through finals right now and it is a very stressful time...but I just got done with my last one a few minutes ago now I just have to wait for those scores. But do you think there is any corelation with my low leverls of keytones since when metabolism occurs keytones increase, but mine do not even show up?

Old 12-14-2004, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

your keytones will be low if you use the bathroom a lot and drink a lot of fluid.

The best time to check your keytones is first thing in the morning.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #5

scaredincollege HB User

thanks for the info....I ussually do not drink much fluids at all...maybe one glass of water a day or one soda...I was actually told by the doctor to drink more. I always check each time I use the bathroom and even in the morning it is just as low as in the evening. Any clue to why this is. It also remains low even when I eat a balanced diet throughout the day.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

I guess I dont understand how ketones have anything to do with your thyroid function (or lack there of in most of our cases..) Do you think you are diabetic or something?

Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 AM   #7

scaredincollege HB User

I know that the more ketones present mean that metabolism is higher and the thyroid gland affects metabolism. I was just checked for hypothyroidism and am waiting for my results to come in.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

ah, I see. I hadn't heard of that being related..

you also might want to start recording your morning temperature.. it's also a good indication of thyroid function. I started doing it about 2 weeks ago and I'm finding that my temperature in the morning usually falls below 97.5, and rarely goes above 98 during the day.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Ketones are generally checked when one is diabetic, if they are moderate to high it would indicate there is a blood sugar problem like diabetes. Normally blood ketones should be low, urine ketones that are too low could indicate that you are having problems with low blood sugar. Blood sugar problems can also be associated with thyroid problems, they all link together.
When you say they are low, is it really low or just low normal? Do you notice that if you don't eat for a while you get sluggish, dizzy or shaky? Do you eat a low carb diet? This can cause low ketone levels.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:20 AM   #10

scaredincollege HB User

well i got a call from the doctor and my results showed an underactive thyroid.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:43 AM   #11

MollieJK HB User

glad you found a reason- are you going to go on Synthroid or some other medication?
You should find yourself starting to feel better after a few weeks- topping out at about 6 weeks, in which hopefully ur doc will test you again.

I am getting tested again Tuesday because my levels have fluctuated (especially due to taking BC Pills).

Old 12-16-2004, 06:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Scared, are you on a very restrictive diet? If you are then there might be ketones in your urine. If you're eating a lot of carbs and you still present with ketones you need to have some further tests done for diabetes. Ketones should only be present in healthy individuals when you are either fasting or restricting your carbs; Ketone bodies present in the face of high carbs is a sign that something is amiss with glucose metabolism and / or your insulin production.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredincollege
well i got a call from the doctor and my results showed an underactive thyroid.
Sorry you are having to deal with this, but at least you have an answer for your symptoms, now you can get things under control.
Did he say anything about treatment? You may also want to make sure that he will treat you based on the Free thyroid levels and not just the TSH.

Keep us posted.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:04 AM   #14

scaredincollege HB User

I am going in tomarrow for an ultrasound. My T4 were normal but my tsh were half of what is normal. I also have a goiter on my neck. My doctor just called me and told me that I will now have to have extra blood work done because I have vitiligo...a skin disease where the immune cells (cells which fight infection) attack the melanocytes and kill them. When the melanocytes in a certain area die the skin turns white. It is sometimes seen in patients with hypothyroidism as I had read. What types of test do you think they will give me??

Last edited by scaredincollege; 12-16-2004 at 12:58 PM.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Not sure what tests they do for the skin condition, but for the thyroid they really should test your FREE T3. Was the T4 they did a FREE or a Total? If it was a total then they need to check your FREE level as well, and if they didn't check you for antibodies, they should do that as well, TPO,Tg and TSI.

Closed Thread