It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

insignia HB User
do nodules change from cyst to solid?

New here. I had a 2 cm cold nodule biopsied last week. The ultrasound and endo said it was a fluid cyst with a small solid part, and the radiologist would drain it. At the biopsy, the doc said it was a completely solid nodule. I have a multinodule goiter. Does anyone have experience with a cyst becoming solid. It occured to me later that they may have gotten the wrong nodule. Also, the so-called Fine Needle Aspiration was really a punch biopsy which felt like getting shot in the neck, and the swelling made me dizzy for days -- I think it compresses my carotid artery. Has anyone else had this type of punch biopsy? It was spring loaded. I'm not eager to do that again. Has anyone had compression of the artery? Thanks for any input.

Last edited by insignia; 12-14-2004 at 09:48 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 12-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #2

dogtired HB User
Re: do nodules change from cyst to solid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insignia
New here. I had a 2 cm cold nodule biopsied last week. The ultrasound and endo said it was a fluid cyst with a small solid part, and the radiologist would drain it. At the biopsy, the doc said it was a completely solid nodule. I have a multinodule goiter. Does anyone have experience with a cyst becoming solid. It occured to me later that they may have gotten the wrong nodule. Also, the so-called Fine Needle Aspiration was really a punch biopsy which felt like getting shot in the neck, and the swelling made me dizzy for days -- I think it compresses my carotid artery. Has anyone else had this type of punch biopsy? It was spring loaded. I'm not eager to do that again. Has anyone had compression of the artery? Thanks for any input.
insignia
Did they do the biopsy under ultrasound guidance? If not then they very
well could have missed it.I've never heard of doing thyroid biospies
with anything other than an FNA. With a spring loaded biopsy the
needle could go completely through the nodule and not even get
a sample from it.with ultrasound guidance you know exactly which
nodule you are in and where the needle is in the nodule.Plus the
carotid artery and jugular vein are too close for my comfort to use
a punch gun.You may have a hematoma...you should have a follow
up scan to see what is going on.Typically you don't have swelling
with an FNA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #3
(female)

insignia HB User
Re: do nodules change from cyst to solid?

They did use ultrasound. They called today to say that yes, the nodule amazingly changed from cyst to solid, and the biopsy is benign. That's great news, I just wish I felt sure they got the right nodule. I'm going to get a second opinion. I'm in a small town. Going to the city. The nodule is right against the carotid, so it was totally scary getting that biopsy. I could see the pulsing artery on the monitor. The swelling is down, so I don't think it's a hematoma. Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread