It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 06:12 PM   #1

caseyandjoey HB User
Question looking for help -hypothyroid

I am trying to find some info for my sister who is hypothyroid. She is 29, works full time, and feels awful a lot of the time. She can't use the computer very much because of severe arm pain so I am posting this in the hopes of getting some info for her. This hypo thyroid is so confusing to me. Here's her story in a nutshell. She was diagnosed last summer after a long time of just feeling awful - tired mostly. Finally a doc tested her thyroid and her numbers were way off. Super higher than they were supposed to be. So she started meds for it, and started feeling good for a while. Her numbers went back to normal and she was doing great. But now she is tired again, all the time. So tired that she has to go home and nap at lunch and sometimes sleeps through the rest of the day. So one would think, well her numbers must be off again, but she got re-tested 3 weeks ago and the doc said they were fine. She also had her iron checked and that was fine too. WHy does she still feel so horrible? If her numbers are fine, why the regression? ANy ideas? Thank you so much. I feel so bad for her! julie

Old 12-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
(female)

Christine L HB User
Re: looking for help -hypothyroid

Yeah, find a good endocrine doctor....check out the top docs endocrine site. I found one off this list and have my first appointment in Feb. I am so sick I can hardly stand, but at least someone will finally listen.

Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 07:05 PM   #3
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
Re: looking for help -hypothyroid

Her numbers can be in range and still not be at the optimum level. Most of us feel best with free T3 and free T4 in the upper third of the range and TSH right around 1. Itís not unusual for it to take a year or more to find the right dosage. Iíve been at it for nearly 2 years now, and Iím still changing doses every 3 or 4 months. Itís beginning to look like I need a lower dose in the winter, for whatever reason. Your sister really needs to find a doctor who will treat by symptoms and not just lab values. I ended up with an osteopathic GP.

Closed Thread