It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 04:43 AM   #1

Colomolo HB User
Scan results - Cold nodule

Hi everyone,

I got my uptake scan back today and it said I had a non functioning cold nodule. The doctor said it was like an 80% chance of being benighn.

Does anyone have advice on this?

Im obviously worried, she told me not to be. She said if it is malignant then they just take it out. She said she cant see any lympth node swelling and that if it is bad news then they take it out and will be fine. I asked if it was large and she said no.

Next I have to have the biopsy and ultrasound. Im not sure when they happen.

Im worried about the bad stomach, diarreah etc Iv had for 4 weeks, even though its improved my stomach is really not good and Im conerned its medallry.

What is the cold nodule all about? What do they do with it if benign or malignant, whats the process?

I also wanted to thank everyone for being so helpful, Iv only just got back and this is the first place I have come to.

Last edited by Colomolo; 12-16-2004 at 04:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Scan results - Cold nodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomolo
Hi everyone,
I got my uptake scan back today and it said I had a non functioning cold nodule. The doctor said it was like an 80% chance of being benighn.
Colomolo, I've seen the number as 90% not 80. My advice right now is not to stress, I know it's not easy, but the likelihood that this is benign is very high. The biopsy (FNA) will tell you for sure - I'd be calling my doctor to have it done as soon as possible, this is not something you want to live with over the holidays.

Quote:
Next I have to have the biopsy and ultrasound. Im not sure when they happen.What is the cold nodule all about? What do they do with it if benign or malignant, whats the process?
This is pretty standard procedure, FNA (Fine Needle Aspiration) is how they determine if it's benign. This procedure involves numbing the skin over the nodule and inserting a tiny needle into the nodule for 10 to 60 seconds to obtain thyroid tissue for microscopic examination. Quite a few members here have had this done, I am sure they can tell you more about it.

Thyroid nodules are usually small and painless, and they typically do not cause any pressure effects in the neck. Most patients do not even notice the swelling. Larger nodules (over 1cm) can be felt by the doctor through the skin, they are usually firm and smooth. Smaller ones can only be detected via ultrasound. Thyroid cancer usually differs from benign thyroid nodules. The nodule is often very hard and there may be associated swellings in the lymph nodes in the neck if the tumour has spread. But because you cannot tell for sure just by checking for touch the FNA and scans are needed.

Nodules, like the one you have, which do not take up radioactive iodine are called "cold" nodules. Nodules that take up most of the iodine at the expense of the rest of the gland are called "hot" nodules. "Hot" nodules can become overactive and cause hyperthyroidism. Nodules which take up the same amount of iodine as the rest of the gland are called "warm" or functioning nodules.

Please keep us posted on what's going on, colomolo
Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 07:50 AM   #3

Colomolo HB User
Re: Scan results - Cold nodle

Thank you. I am waitng to hear back from the doctor, I am just so scared right now and keep thinking the worse case situation. I have read stuff on the net and saw it said its a higher chance of men having it malignant. My head is spinning, I keep thinking things like what if its spread and what if its the worse type.

My doctor also told me not to stress , Im just shocked. Just little over a week ago i didnt even know I had a swelling on the neck at all and this week seems like the longest ever.

My doctor told me that if it is malignant they will fix it but I know its not that simple.
I just feel really alone with this right now.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
Veteran

west end girl HB User

colomolo , I know it's very easy for me to say , but please try not to worry
to much , it will just make you feel worse ,
I was in the same position as you and I know waiting is tough and I also
know how many tears I shed .. I had a nodule ( size 4 cm ) , I had a FNA
( please don't worry to much about that , It took 10seconds and the worry I put
myself through was much worse than the FNA ) & the ultrasound well I'm sure you
know what that is and that is nothing to worry about at all ..
I had a benign nodule and it was removed ( surgery to remove half my thyroid ) back in
may this year .. please don't worry yourself to much about that either , yes it's not
mice BUT it's not to bad ..

( sorry this post is short but i'm really busy at work with Christmas etc )

Please know I am thinking of you {{{hugs}}}

Sara xx

Oh the one bit of advice I have is , when you go to see a doctor etc take someone with you
( family/friend) as I found I was so nervous i didn't really listen and it was wonderful to have someone
with me who I trusted to take in and remember every thing I was told ..

Old 12-16-2004, 08:24 AM   #5

Colomolo HB User

Thanks Sara,

Its just so odd how suddenly you can have something. I know people on this board have all different thyroid issues and some diagnosed as malignant. Reading those posts also gives me a sense of hope even if the news is bad. Right now I cant even think straight, 2 weeks ago I was worried about my phone bill and now Im worrying about having this, puts things into perspective' if nothing else.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:40 AM   #6

dogtired HB User

Good luck to you Colomolo and remember you're not alone,this place
is great!

Old 12-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran

west end girl HB User

Colomolo , I know just what you mean , I was worried about all kind of silly
stuff until I found out I was ill , it really puts you life into perspective doesn't it .

I was just the same , I had been rather tired etc , but thought it was just
because of work etc , then the next day I was in the shower and felt a lump in
the front of my neck ( I know the feeling of 'panic' ) next day doctors , day after
ultrasound & FNA ... keep strong and hang on in there you will be ok

Sara xx

Like dogtired said this place is great and we are all here for you always

A thing i do when I feel nervous/down etc is listen to some happy music or watch a
silly funny film , sometimes it really helps to lose yourself in something {{hgus}}

Old 12-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Thank you. I am waitng to hear back from the doctor, I am just so scared right now and keep thinking the worse case situation. I have read stuff on the net and saw it said its a higher chance of men having it malignant. My head is spinning, I keep thinking things like what if its spread and what if its the worse type.
You're welcome

Not stressing is almost impossible, I know, but usually what you imagine is far worse than what you end up facing. It's that fear of the unknown that gets us so worried and anxious. It can't help that this is an already very stressful time of the year.

Hang out here with us, where you know you're not alone - when you're scared and worried this is a great place to get some help and support

Nat

Old 12-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #9

Colomolo HB User

Thanks again everyone. You are all keeping me sane at the moment, i do keep thinking the worse case and end up looking on the net to confirm my fears but at the end of the day I cant change the outcome or determine it from the net.

Im trying to keep postive in terms of statistics but at the same time I feel if I think the worse case than anything else is a bonus. The doctor said she would ring me today but hasnt so I will find out what happens next tomorrow. My meetings with the doc become a blur. Maybe I should start writing things down.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Colomolo, writing things down is a good idea, so is taking someone else with you along for the appointment. This helped me enormously when I saw the Endo for the first time. My hubby really helped with the emotional support. He was also able to stand up for me, in case I wasn't able to.

Let us know when your next appointment is, OK?

Old 12-16-2004, 01:02 PM   #11

Colomolo HB User

Thanks I will do that. I have a very close friend I would take with me but she is away at the moment, my parents I dont feel happy taking in the room because it will be very emotional for them so Im hoping my sister will come down and support me when I go next time.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:25 PM   #12

dogtired HB User

Quote:
Thanks again everyone. You are all keeping me sane at the moment, i do keep thinking the worse case and end up looking on the net to confirm my fears but at the end of the day I cant change the outcome or determine it from the net.
It's good to educate yourself... but at the same time...sometimes a curse
b/c you get all these ideas in your head and more things to worry about.
You're not alone I do the same thing.

Closed Thread