It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

May3 HB User
Levoxly vs Synthroid

This is so confusing. I was on Levoxyl(0.1MG) for about a year. Went in for my one year checkup and before scheduling a blood test to test the levels, my doctor renewed my prescription(which I thought was 'Levoxyl' and found out he switched it to Synthroid (.01MG) had the blood test and the nurse said it was normal. About a month or two later, I went to see a
dermatologist and asked to take another blood test, since the medication was switched and my hair has been thinning more.

The results came back the TSH was very low.
If the TSH is very low, does it mean that the hormone level is high?
My primary doctor received the results and decreased the medication Synthroid to (0.075MG).

Besides my hair falling out more and my eyes hurting and very dry. My vision seems to have gotten worse, my skin seems to be very dry, and I'm just tired.

I know I need to call the doctor tomorrow so I can reschedule another blood test to see what's going on. I'm just afraid he's going to tell me everything is normal.
What is normal?
Does Synthroid affect the heart in anyway?
My left hip and bones started hurting and was very stiff. I wasn't aware that being on 'Levoxyl' would cause my bones to start thinning. Now I'm on Acetonal for that.

What other symptoms are there to watch out for?

Thank you.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Levoxly vs Synthroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by May3
I was on Levoxyl(0.1MG) for about a year. Went in for my one year checkup and before scheduling a blood test to test the levels, my doctor renewed my prescription(which I thought was 'Levoxyl' and found out he switched it to Synthroid (.01MG) had the blood test and the nurse said it was normal. About a month or two later, I went to see a
dermatologist and asked to take another blood test, since the medication was switched and my hair has been thinning more.
I will assume you made a mistake in the Levoxyl dose unless you let us know otherwise. Should it actually say "0.01" - meaning that the Levoxyl and the Synthroid dosages are equal? If you were doing well on Levo, you should never have been switched to Synth. It obviously isn't working for you. There is plenty of evidence that says people who are doing well with one thyroid med should NOT be switched, especially without their consent. The mistake of changing brands was compounded when the dose was subsequently reduced. From all the symptoms you're reporting, it appears you are being undertreated, and your hypoT is becoming worse due to these changes.
Quote:
The results came back the TSH was very low.
If the TSH is very low, does it mean that the hormone level is high?
Absolutely not. TSH is irrelevant once a person is in treatment. My own TSH is suppressed to .01, but my free hormone levels are not too high... Indeed, they probably aren't high enough.
Quote:
What is normal?
It's a little bit subjective. "Normal" is when all the symptoms associated with your hypoT disappear; but in general, as a practical guideline, most people feel well only when their free hormones are in the upper third of their lab ranges. Insist on the "free" T4 and T3 tests to see where your own levels are.
Quote:
Does Synthroid affect the heart in anyway?
Only when it's being Rx'ed in the wrong dose. If under-replaced, hypoT has its own detrimental effects to the heart; and over-replacing can cause dangerous heart arrythmias.
Quote:
My left hip and bones started hurting and was very stiff. I wasn't aware that being on 'Levoxyl' would cause my bones to start thinning. Now I'm on Acetonal for that.
Levoxyl doesn't cause bone thinning, but underdosage can... because undertreated hypo is a major cause of bone thinning. If you have joint and muscle aches and pains, they're probably caused by undertreatment as well.

I'd say you need a more knowledgeable thyroid doctor. If you have test results and lab ranges, post them so we can see what's happening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
(female)

May3 HB User
Re: Levoxly vs Synthroid

Thank you for the information. I rechecked my prescription receipts since I started the medication. I started on Levoxyl which was 0.1MG (100 MCG)
Then after my yearly check-up, I was put on Synthroid 0.1MG (100 MCG)
Then I was switched to Synthroid 0.075MG (75MCG) after the last blood test showed my TSH was very low.

I'm calling the doctor tomorrow to schedule another blood test and ask for copies of my last two tests results, so I can see for myself what the numbers are.
Thank you.

Closed Thread