HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Hypo and Hyper thyroidism (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/236975-hypo-hyper-thyroidism.html)

My Romance 12-29-2004 01:35 PM

Hypo and Hyper thyroidism

Does anyone have this? I've had Hyperthyroidism (or graves disease) for a year and there is no known cause. It's really common among alot of women, mostly asian women for some reason. (according to my doctor). You can usually find out if you have it through a blood test.

yawningdog 12-29-2004 07:08 PM

Re: Hypo and Hyper thyroidism

Hyper, you have too much thyroid being produced. You are probably losing wieght, jittery, your eye may bulge, and you may get a goiter. This is cured by destroying all or part of your thyroid gland.

Hypo, I have this, you have too little thyroid. You are probably over wieght, tired, and cold all the time. Your normal body temperature is 2 degrees cooler than everyone else, and you have dry skin. This is solved by taking synthetic thyroid once a day.

Both are determined by a blood test, and I haven't heard of asian women having more problems, but women more than men are hypo.

You are in the wrong group, check the thyroid desease section. good luck.

Lady50 12-30-2004 09:38 AM

Hi Romance, I had Graves/hyperthyroidism. I am now hypo from RAI, and antithyroid drugs.

The medicine only controls it. You will always have the graves antibodies. If you have any further questions just post for K9mom for she is well educated about Graves. :wave:

AprilPow 12-30-2004 11:04 AM

You can take antithyroid meds first before destroying or removing your gland. You can go into remission and be "normal" with no meds.

April

Sarah_89 01-02-2005 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=My Romance]Does anyone have this? I've had Hyperthyroidism (or graves disease) for a year and there is no known cause. It's really common among alot of women, mostly asian women for some reason. (according to my doctor). You can usually find out if you have it through a blood test.[/QUOTE]
:) Hi My Romance

I have hyperthyroidism and I was diagnosed December 2003.. I have done so much research on this disease its not even funny... First off Im not sure if your Dr. told you this but they have not completely come up with a reason to Hyperthyroidism as opposed to Hypothyroidism... Anyway not all the symptoms are like the Dr. tells you for instance because we are Hyper which means we producing to much hormone that we are suppose to be losing weight well Im opposite Im gaining weight, my eyes do not bulge out, I loose my hair, I do get hot flashes, I sleep like theres no tomorrow.. anyway you get the idea, they put me on medication for heart palpitations in which I did not have any but when I started taking the medication I surely had it now and they gave me Thyroid medication to control it and little did they tell me it kills your white blood cells and cancer runs high in my family and I need all the white blood cells that I can get so obviously I stopped both of those medications... I refuse to go through surgery or take the iodine radiation treatment because if you go through surgery it will kill your thyroid or however much they need to take out because again hyperthyroid is only on one side of the neck not both sides like hypo.. and radiation iodine has long term affects also... so my research that I have done brings me to this product that I found from China that is of natural medicine it tells you so much more than the Dr.'s do from here.. I was amazed.. it costs alot though but it will take you back to normal.. Anyway if you want to email me you can.. Im not sure how I give you my email address but if you want it I can give it to you to discuss this some more.. I did not know how many woman out there it affects but it is amazing and this is a major functioning part of our body that I did not even realize until I got this. They say that normally when it finally comes out either hypo or hyper its due to a major event in ones life.. and mine was my mother passing away from Breast Cancer.. Well I just wanted to share some info with you.. Take care and God Bless.
Sarah :)

[ [b] please carefully review the posting rules - no emails [/b] ]

AprilPow 01-02-2005 07:05 PM

There is a CHANCE that it can lower your white blood cell count, but not even remotely likely. I would be more concerned about not treating the graves than the white blood cell count dropping.

Surgery or RAI will more than likely make you hypo and you will be on meds for the rest of your life.

A lot of docs say it's easier to treat a hypo person than a hyper person, but ask a few hypo's on here how they feel and you will see that's not that case.

You need to make a decision in what works best for you and your situation. There are risks with ANY medication or treatment...it doesn't mean it will happen. You need to weigh the risks against the benefits .

April

Lady50 01-03-2005 06:19 AM

My nuclear medicine doctor told me that there could be some longtime side effects from taking PTU for an extended period of time.

I think he was just wanting to make sure I take the RAI. ;) After your levels become normal, then you reduce the dose.

I took PTU for almost two years. Decided to take RAI because I thought it would be a quick fix, didn't happen. It took 5 months and I went hypo.

In my opinion it is better to stay with the antithyroid drugs. Of course, if you are allergic to them or they lower your white blood cell count, then it would not be a good choice.

Just my two cents :wave:

Kootie Pie 01-03-2005 08:55 AM

My doc told me I have IBS . I'm not really sure about that. I lost 30 pounds in a week and haven't gained it back(it's been over a year) sick, go to the bathroom just in the morning. he also said i have a lot of stress and anxiety. i'm tired all the time, cold pains all over my body. My eyes don't bulge out there ust always runny. (I can actually take the stuff that's in your eyes and pull it out of my eyes in a long string) And I can the jerks sometimes (I was on apo-lorazepam for the stress and anxiety to help me sleep but i haven't taken any in maybe 3 weeks) Now i had blood tests and x-rays and stuff done and they said i have IBS. Could it be possible that maybe I have something else?