It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

nimbeth HB User
Question What is Normal Body Temp?

Hi,

What is considered normal body temp. in the a.m. and throughout the day. My temp. seems to drop at night by a whole degree is that normal. Also, at what point during a womens cycle does her temp. usually rise? I take my temperture throughout the day to moniter my progress .

Has anyone used a digital ear thermometer? I have one, but it seems to vary quite a bit from the oral digital thermometer.

Thanks
Nimbeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 08:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: What is Normal Body Temp?

Normal daytime body temp is 98.6F-ish. To be considered thyroid healthy body temp measured first thing in the morning on the days following mensturation (day 2-6 during the follicluar phase) should be above 97.8. Your temp at this time will spike shortly after you ovulate; around day 14 on average (but average is very subjective - I usually hit the spike in temp around day 16; my temps go from 98.0 to 98.6 at that time). Because of the spike you want to take your temp before this phase - if you want more detailed info the authority on the subject is Dr. Broda Barnes who used this method and found it more accurate than blood tests when diagnosing thyroid disease.

I've been taking my temp for about 4 years now and I've noticed that my late day temp will be almost a full degree higher than my waking temp; this is much more noticeable after ovulation (in the luteal phase). FWIW, a temp dropping a full degree before you go to bed does not sound normal. I know mine drops a little in the evening before bed, but not that much.

Ear thermometers are not considered accurate for this - bbt taking that is - your best bet is a shake down thermometre that you can get below 96F. You also need to take your morning temp before getting out of bed. You should take it for 10 minutes and you should have been in bed for 3 hours minimum. The time also matters - the longer you sleep in the higher your temp will be. Optimal time/temp is 7:30 am. You should subtract .1F degree for ever hour after 7:30 am. and add .1F for every hour before 7:30 am. you take your temp.

HTH
Nat

Last edited by Gopherhead; 12-30-2004 at 08:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Thanks so much Nat.

I use a digital thermometer. I dont have 10 min. in the am. (I sure wish I did!) My kids wake me up, so for that matter I use a digital thermometer. I think I need to start recording my temps, to really get a better picture of them. Overall, my temps have risen.

Anyway thanks again, and happy new year!
Beth

Old 12-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi, I have one question....

I am sick with a cold and sinus headaches. My temp. seems to fluctuate during the day. For ex. when I wake up my temp is about 97.5 - 97.8 and during the day is has been lower since I have been sick with a few occasional 98.9's. Is it normal when sick and hypothyroid, for your temp. to drop when sick. Or could it mean that I still need to adjust my meds.

Thanks
Beth

Closed Thread