It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

kacl HB User
Question Advice Needed

Hi Everybody,

I don't post much, but I lurk on this board pretty regularly. I have Hashimoto's and I just got the results from my last blood test. I am on Armour thyroid and am currently taking 75 mg ( 1 1/4 grains). I had been taking this dosage for 7 weeks when the blood was drawn at 8:35 AM and I did not take my thyroid meds until after the blood draw on the day of the test. Here's the results.

TSH 0.059
FT4: 1.2 ng/dL [0.8 - 1.9]
FT3: 2.9 pg/mL [1.8 - 4.2]

I feel okay, but I think I could feel better if my FT4 and FT3 levels were a little higher. The reason I think this is that I was taking 90 mg before, which turned out to be too much. But on the way up and then on the way down, I hit the sweet spot for a little while where I felt quite good. The problem is my current doctor thinks I need to cut back a little because of my low TSH. He only uses TSH to determine the dosage and based on my interaction with him at my last appointment, it's useless to try to change his mind about this. He's the 4th doctor I've tried and so far all 4 really only use TSH to monitor treatment. I found my 3rd doctor from the thyroid top doc web page; she claimed to treat symptoms and not lab tests, but when push came to shove, she treated my lab tests.

So I have two questions for you all. Do you have any thoughts about adjusting my dosage? The two thoughts I've had so far is adding a smidgen more Armour, about 1/8 of a grain, or adding a small amount of T4. Based on past experience, I don't seem to be very good at converting T4 to T3 and I do take selenium.

My other question is does anybody know a good doctor in Los Angeles county? Doctor shopping is such a pain. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Katherine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacl
Hi Everybody,

I don't post much, but I lurk on this board pretty regularly. I have Hashimoto's and I just got the results from my last blood test. I am on Armour thyroid and am currently taking 75 mg ( 1 1/4 grains). I had been taking this dosage for 7 weeks when the blood was drawn at 8:35 AM and I did not take my thyroid meds until after the blood draw on the day of the test. Here's the results.

TSH 0.059
FT4: 1.2 ng/dL [0.8 - 1.9]
FT3: 2.9 pg/mL [1.8 - 4.2]

I feel okay, but I think I could feel better if my FT4 and FT3 levels were a little higher. The reason I think this is that I was taking 90 mg before, which turned out to be too much. But on the way up and then on the way down, I hit the sweet spot for a little while where I felt quite good. The problem is my current doctor thinks I need to cut back a little because of my low TSH. He only uses TSH to determine the dosage and based on my interaction with him at my last appointment, it's useless to try to change his mind about this. He's the 4th doctor I've tried and so far all 4 really only use TSH to monitor treatment. I found my 3rd doctor from the thyroid top doc web page; she claimed to treat symptoms and not lab tests, but when push came to shove, she treated my lab tests.

So I have two questions for you all. Do you have any thoughts about adjusting my dosage? The two thoughts I've had so far is adding a smidgen more Armour, about 1/8 of a grain, or adding a small amount of T4. Based on past experience, I don't seem to be very good at converting T4 to T3 and I do take selenium.

My other question is does anybody know a good doctor in Los Angeles county? Doctor shopping is such a pain. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Katherine
Your upper 1/3 or 70% target range would be 1.57 for the FT4 and 3.48 for the FT3, so yes you are low and could use more.

Sad that these drs say they go by symptoms and then go by the TSH. The TSH once on treatment can be very very deceiving. I agree you need more meds not less and upping by a small amount may be the answer.
Its usually best to get the drs approval on med changes but if you have a stubborn dr and you know your numbers arn't right and he's talking about lowering meds and you KNOW you don't need it lowered, then you may need to try a dose increase on your own, but small amounts is the key. Depending on the size pills you have you can divide them in half or in quarters.
Your FT4 really needs to be stable in the upper 1/3, so adding the T4 would probably help, but then you'd have to talk your dr into a prescription. I'd first try to up the Armour by a smidgen as you said and give that a while to see how it affects you.

Hopefully you can find a better dr and not have to worry about this.

Take care

Old 01-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
(female)

kacl HB User

Thanks for your input, Dea4. I've learned so much from you, Meep, and others on this board. I've decided to try doing a phone consultation with Dr. John Dommisse. I'm tired of dealing with the T4/TSH doctors; I just don't fit into that box. If people are interested, I can report on how that goes. I'm going to call this Friday to make an appointment.

It is sad that doctors get so hung up on TSH. My 3rd doctor thought my thyroid problem was cured because my TSH was 1 even though I was telling her I still had a lot of symptoms. My last doctor actually said thyroid patients don't have symptoms until their TSH is at least 20 and he believes that the potency of Armour thyroid varies from tablet to tablet. I know that's not true, but although I tried, nothing I said changed his opinion. It was pretty obvious he wasn't going to listen to anything from me because I don't have MD after my name. It's so frustrating. And the worst part is my DH thinks I'm being arrogant for thinking I know more than the doctors. I don't think I know more than doctors about all things medical, but it's not that hard to learn more about thyroid disease than the average doctor. OK, enough venting.

Katherine

Old 01-05-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacl
I've decided to try doing a phone consultation with Dr. John Dommisse. ... If people are interested, I can report on how that goes. I'm going to call this Friday to make an appointment.
Yes! Please do report back... I'm more than interested.

Quote:
My last doctor actually said thyroid patients don't have symptoms until their TSH is at least 20 and he believes that the potency of Armour thyroid varies from tablet to tablet. ... but although I tried, nothing I said changed his opinion. ... And the worst part is my DH thinks I'm being arrogant for thinking I know more than the doctors.
The arrogance is with the profession, not us. I've heard before similar reports of medical viewpoints about TSH and Armour from others here, and it's frightening. I've also had other relatives... not my sweet DH, though... consider me to be the smart alec in not listening to the MD, who theoretically, knows it all.
And as for MDs not listening to anyone without the magic "MD" behind her name.... My ex-PCP actually asks on his pre-visit "get to know you" interview form what the patient's education level is! I found out the hard way that if you answer "high school", he won't bother explaining anything to you.... He immediately adopts the attitude that he knows best, and you better not ask your stupid questions, because you're too dumb to understand the answers anyway!
Who needs that baloney?
OK, enough venting from me, too...

Old 01-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

hehehe, I won't vent any, I'll just fully agree with you both, some drs are just sooo obnoxious. O.k. so I vented a little

Old 01-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
(female)

kacl HB User

Quote:
Yes! Please do report back... I'm more than interested.
OK, I'll post a report after I have the consultation.

Quote:
My ex-PCP actually asks on his pre-visit "get to know you" interview form what the patient's education level is! I found out the hard way that if you answer "high school", he won't bother explaining anything to you.... He immediately adopts the attitude that he knows best, and you better not ask your stupid questions, because you're too dumb to understand the answers anyway!
Good Grief! That is obnoxious.

Katherine

Closed Thread