It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

nimbeth HB User
Question Water pills side effects?

Hi,

My doctor prescirbed for me dyazide 37.5mcg (water pill)as needed. I took my first pill today? My heartrate has increased a little, is this normal?

I seem to retain fluid, causing bloating etc.

Thanks
Beth

Old 01-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User
Re: Water pills side effects?

Nimbeth, I was prescribed those and took them for 2 days. I became very dizzy and lightheaded and totally out of it. I think they are also considered to lower blood pressure? I already have low blood pressure though so they may not afffect you the same.
Anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

nimbeth HB User

annemv-

They also are making lightheaded, and slightly dizzy. My b/p is low, but my seems to had increased is this normal?

If I may ask, why did you take your water pills?

Thanks
Beth

Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User

Beth I took the pills for kidney stones. I have excess calcium in my urine and he said it would "dry" me out so that stones can not form. I stopped taking them after my second day. I dont know why your bp would go up. I dont understand this stuff.
Anne

Old 01-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi annemv,

I meant to say my pulse went up, not my B/P.

Sorry for the typo.

Beth

Old 01-04-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Yep, diuretics do lower blood pressure and can therefore cause dizziness and lightheadedness.

Beth, you should definitely have your blood tested for electrolyte levels shortly after beginning a diuretic. Dyazide is "potassium sparing," so you can actually wind up with too much potassium in your system (potentially causing muscle weakness and an irregular heartbeat).

Hope this helps,

LT

Old 01-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Loves Teaching

Would eating bananas help with the potassium issue?

Thanks
Beth

Old 01-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbeth
Loves Teaching

Would eating bananas help with the potassium issue?

Thanks
Beth
Beth,

No, you definitely shouldn't eat potassium rich foods (such as bananas) while on Dyazide. I used to be on Dyazide as well as another potassium sparing diuretic (each for a different problem). These were prescribed by my gyno, who is a nice woman (but not too knowledgeable). She could've killed me with these 2 drugs. My endo (who's annoyed me of late, but at least she's generally better informed than my gyno) caught this error and switched my Dyazide to Hydroclorothiazide (which is not potassium sparing). Now my potassium actually balances out to a normal level (because one of the diuretics depletes potassium while the other increases it).

Dyazide can cause increased potassium, so try to stay away from foods high in potassium.

Does your doc have you scheduled for another blood test soon?

Old 01-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #9
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Lovesteaching,

I am looking at the pharmacy sheet, and it says:
Common uses- This medicine is a potassium-sparing and thiazide diuretic combination.

I think this is the opposite of what you are saying, I am correct?

No, i do not have an appt. until February 3. My doc. said use as needed. I am wondering if the over the counter Diruex would work just as good, I know its probably not as strong, but do think that it would help me?

Thanks
Beth

Old 01-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbeth
Lovesteaching,

I am looking at the pharmacy sheet, and it says:
Common uses- This medicine is a potassium-sparing and thiazide diuretic combination.

I think this is the opposite of what you are saying, I am correct?
Nope -- I'm saying the same thing.

Dyazide is a combination of Triamterene and Hydroclorothiazide. The Triamterene is the potassium-sparing part. "Potassium-sparing" means that it keeps potassium in your body; thus, it has the potential to cause too much potassium to build up. This can cause some of the side effects you're experiencing.

The over-the-counter stuff is much milder, I'm sure. You could give your doc a call, tell him/her about the side effects, and ask him/her about the over-the-counter meds. That's what I would do.

Good luck,

LT

Old 01-04-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Thanks so much LT,

I did mention the OTC diruetic, and he (Dr.) said to go ahead and give it a try, but being that I want to get rid of the water now in my body asked for a prescription strength, and he gave it to me. But I am going to go with OTC diruetic for now. I have enough to deal with just being on the thryoid meds. What I mean by that is I have terrible constipation, and I rely on osmotic agents ex. Milk of Mag. or Mirlax, or sometimes dulcolax pills, and these things pull water into your colon (you probably know this already). So I dont want to mess with my electrolyte given this. Can you relate?
How long have you been hypo. for (hope you dont mind me asking)? What meds are you on?

Anyway thanks
Beth

Closed Thread