It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #1

KBT's mom HB User
Question How do you take Armour?

I finally have some good news. The doc called and I was able to convince her to let my daughter try Armour. I am so exicited and praying that this is the answer! She is starting her on 1/2 grain. My question now is what are the guidlines for Armour? I have read that it is best to split the dose in half and take it twice a day. She takes her meds now at bedtime under the tongue on an empty stomach and that seems to work best for us-can we continue this with the Armour and when should the second half of it be taken? Also, if it's not best to take it at bedtime can one take it with food?
Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 07:13 AM   #2
Inactive

naanee HB User
Re: How do you take Armour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBT's mom
I finally have some good news. The doc called and I was able to convince her to let my daughter try Armour. I am so exicited and praying that this is the answer! She is starting her on 1/2 grain. My question now is what are the guidlines for Armour? I have read that it is best to split the dose in half and take it twice a day. She takes her meds now at bedtime under the tongue on an empty stomach and that seems to work best for us-can we continue this with the Armour and when should the second half of it be taken? Also, if it's not best to take it at bedtime can one take it with food?
Thanks!!
Hi, first of all i have to admit your girl is brave to put armour throid under the tungue. that is the best to way to eat. But my girl took her thyroid medician first thing in the morning. she wait onr hr. to eat her brakfast. she know's not to eat any kind of calcium till 4 hrs. or any food that contain calcium in it.

Last edited by naanee; 01-10-2005 at 07:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Really you have to find what works best for you or in this case for your daughter.
Most find that taking it in the morning works well, many need to split the dose and take the other half about 8 hours after the first but some find it makes no difference so they take it all at once, there again its an individual thing.
She can dissolve the pill under her tongue in the a.m. and then eat shortly afterward since it will absorb directly and not have to go through the stomach first.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #4

KBT's mom HB User

Thanks for your response! I just picked up the prescription and saw that they gave me a generic brand. Do you think the generics are as good as the name brand? Also, do you think we could follow our normal routine and take the Armour at night? Thanks to everyones help on this board I think we are finally on the right track!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I believe that generics can be as good... but here's the thing...
"Generic" is not one product. Many manufacturers make produce products for the generic market that technically carry no name on the label, but which can be different from any other mnfr's "generic". Your local pharmacy may not buy its generic from the same mnfr each time, so you may end up with a different "generic" medicine each time you refill.

If your pharmacy can guarantee that the same mnfr's product would be available to you consistently, (presuming that product worked for you in the first place) it would be ok to use the generic. If they can't guarantee they won't switch mnfrs, I would switch to Armour next time and stick with it.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Good advice Midwest!

I should also think one would want to avoid taking Armour at night..since the t3 in it can jack you up and make you want to run a marathon. (not good for catching Zeees)

Most peeps try and get second half of dose into them by 2pm at the latest to avoid this.

Closed Thread