It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

nimbeth HB User
Question Metabolism Test- Should I Take me meds?

Hi,

I am having a metabolism test. It measures your Basal Metabolic rate (BMR). The test involves either putting a mask over your face, or breathing through a tube with your nose clamped off. It is usally done first think in morning, before you eat. They also tell you not to do any work, where this artificially raises your BMR.

I had this test before last May, before I was any thryoid replacement. My BMR was very low, indicating I needed only 1181-1500 to maintain my weight, and in order to lose weight I needed 1000-1181 to lose weight. And during this time I was very physcially fit, I ran, lifted weights 5x week.

Anyway, should I take my Armour 1 grain before the test? I am wondering if the cytomel will raise it.

Thanks

Old 01-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #2

soccerspeed HB User
Re: Metabolism Test- Should I Take me meds?

the machine that measures your metabolism does so calculating how much oxygen you consume by breathing, since your body uses oxygen to create energy.

i'm not a pro on armour thyroid, and i'm not really a pro on cytomel (although i am a user), but i'd imagine that the t3 in armour behaves much the same as the cytomel.

my research suggests that cytomel will increase your body's rate of cellular oxidation for the few hours after taking it. in other words, you consume more oxygen after taking the medicine than you would without it. note, that it does what your body's own t3 would do consistently if you weren't hypo.

so to answer the question, yes, taking cytomel ought to increase your oxygen consumption for at least the few hours after taking it. this will result in an aritiificially high RMR reading. if you want a test of your metabolic rate sans medication, i wouldn't take cytomel (or i suppose armour) for about 10 hours prior to the test, maybe more to be on the safe side.

hope that helps!

Last edited by soccerspeed; 01-13-2005 at 10:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

nimbeth HB User

thanks

Has anyone else had this test?

Old 01-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #4
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Any thoughts, want to know before I go for the test.

Thanks so much.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I had this test about 3 months ago. Basically it said my BMR was average for a person who never exercises. Which I do 5-7 days a week for the past 10 years. They attributed it to my low cal diet at the time (even though I increased my cals my BMR didn't change) and also to my thyroid. The whole thing just depressed me knowing I never get any of the benefits, at least physically from all the exercise and healthy eating I do. They sent me back to my endo for further testing of my thyroid. They raised my dosage, so we'll see if that helps at all.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
(female)

nimbeth HB User

thanks bluehen

If you dont me asking what was your BMR? Yes, it is very depressing, my was so low despite all of the crazy amount of excericse it did, and how well I ate. When I saw that I had to 1000-1100 to lose weight, almost started to cry. I hope this time around it raised a little a bit given that I am on meds. (its only been 3 1/2 months, I am trying to optimize my Ft3 and Ft4.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Nimbeth

I don't know my exact numbers except that they said I needed 1400 cals to maintain all my body functions, like heart beat etc. They thought this was low for someone who exercises as much as I do. However, there philosophy to increase that number and lose bodyfat is NOT to eat less, that will make things worse, your metabolism can slow down even more because it things its being starved. To raise this number you need to build more lean muscle not eat 1000 cals. At the time they did this test on me I was on a 1300 calorie diet and they bumped me up to 1600-1800 depending on my workout for the day. I haven't lost any weight unfortunately, but I haven't gained either so that shows something right there. They sent me off to my endo to get my levels straightened out so that is where I am in this process. My endo upped my synthroid and next time, a month from now we will test my TSH, FT4, and FT3. Also I stopped taking the BC pill, I heard that sometimes hinders you from losing weight.

Let me know what your test says and good luck!! If you don't mind me asking how old are you? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, just curious.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
(female)

nimbeth HB User

I am 30. My MBR test said just maitain my weight I needed 1181-1535. Is it depressing. Have you the metabolism test recently? I am 5'5" and weigh 157, I and no matter what the scale dosent budge. Did you gain weight when they bumped you uped to 1600-1800 calorie diet? Were you worried that you would gain? The one thing that I hate about being hypothyroid, is not being in control of my body!

Old 01-14-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Wow Nimbeth, your almost like me. I'm 33 5'51/4", 145, 31% body fat. I am with you on the frustration. The part that kills me most is before my twin pregnancy I was a toned 125 and I always knew once I got preg I would never get it off again. My thyroid worsened through and after the pregnancy. I am the same way, I exercise 5-6 days a week, doing cardio 5 days a week 45mins-1 hr, weight training on a 4 day split schedule put together by an exercise physiologist. I literally can bench press 100 pounds, I am so strong, but looking at me you would never know what great shape I'm in. I am on an eating program put together by her as well and nothing. They kept changing my ratio of carbs/fats/proteins and still nothing. The only thing that ever gets me unstuck is ephedra weight loss products which are banned. Although I have a bottle of Tetracal (with ephedra) I ordered before they were banned, but I am saving it for the last resort before the summer. I already had 2 fat summers 1 preg and 1 with the weight still on I refuse to have another.

To answer your questions, I had the test done in Oct then they changed my diet and exercise program and retested it in Nov with no change. Yes, when they raised my calories I was very scared of gaining weight. I figured if I was just maintaining my weight on 1300 cals how on earth will I not gain eating 1600-1800? For whatever reason, I didn't and they knew I wouldn't either. They thought my body was slowing down because I wasn't providing it with the appropriate calories/nutrients to get going and build lean muscle tissue, which is key to lose weight. Many people think its a lot of exercise that makes you lose weight but really its what the exercise does to your metabolism that makes you lose weight. Increasing your lean muscle mass means you burn more calories all day even while you sleep and cardio also speeds up your metabolism, the key is to get that metabolism going.

I am with you on the frustrations, every month or so I have a breakdown to my husband about it. I look at my wedding pictures from 5 years ago or trips we took 2 years ago and I can't believe how good I used to look. Doubt I'll ever get that back.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
(female)

nimbeth HB User

You wont believe this but I also have b/g twins, they will be 3 in Feb. The lowest weight I have ever been was 150 lbs. before kids. About 10 yrs. ago I used to weigh at my highest 220 lbs. I cut the fat from diet and walked I lost about 25 lbs a year. So it was a very slow weightloss, which is a good thing because I changed my eating habits, and along the way of losing weight I tweaked my excerise program. I think I developed a thyroid problem about 4 yrs. just couldnt lose weight no matter what. Last year I did an 3 hour endurance triahtlon- no weightloss ( i worked my but off!) Then had a trainer did tons of cardio along with weight training - no weight loss, just a lot stronger. Had another trainer changed my eating to 5-6 a day with no sugar or white flour, and ate equeal amounts protein and carbs and fats. lost 4 lbs but gained it right back. ARGGGhhh! and played tennis! NO WEIGHT LOST! So frustrating. Thank goodness my husband is an angel. I even looked in to plastic surgery to remove these hips and rear, but this was before was put on meds for thyroid.
I think I am to scared to have surgery with all the risks.

Anyway how old are your twins? What sort of regimen (diet and excerise program are you on). What do the doctors say about weightloss for you? Did you say you are on Synthroid? I am on Armour, did you try this med?

P.S. I noticed I replied to you that I was 30(typo) I will 32 in March. So we have very similar background. Where do you live?

Last edited by nimbeth; 01-14-2005 at 04:46 PM.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Actually, I have 2 girl twins (not identical), they will be 14 months Jan 19th. Quite the handful as I'm sure you know.

I have always had a thyroid problem since I was about 26, but at that point it was so slight that the doctors thought it wasn't necesaary to be put on meds. Plus I had no symptoms so I didn't care. At that point I was exercising excessively and I weighed 116. The lowest weight I had been in my life, actually when I look at pictures I was too small. What's funny is I could do all the same exercise I was doing then and I wouldn't be able to budge a pound. Anyway, it all back fired on me when I was 27 1/2, right after I got married I hurt my knees really bad and developed a condition called patella femoral syndrome, where your knee caps instead of going up and down when you walk they go side to side. Extremely painful!!! Then on top of that I developed a condition called thickening plica which is a build up under the knee caps, I had to othroscopically get this shaved down by a doctor. I was out of commission for 2 years and learned my lesson well about over exercising. After I was able to exercise again I couldn't get most of the weight off. I got it off naturally til I was down to 140 then used trimlife to get down to 136, then a system called spirostim for another 6 pounds then tetracal for another 2-3 and within a year, I got it down to 125 again. All these drugs were ephedra related. I know you must think I'm a druggy or something, but I was going to Hawaii and was not going to be fat for that. Anyway, then it was time to get preg, never got the period back coming off the pill, did many fertility drugs and got preg. Gained weight about 60 pounds up to 185, then lost the water weight which brings us to Jan 2004 where I weighed 157, by may 2004 I was 145, and I haven't budged a pound since.

Basically now I am working with a weight loss place that has trainers and exercise physiologists. I would give you the name because they have a website you could look it up, but I think the board monitors will block it out due to violating board rule. Anyway, after many changes my basic exercise schedule is 5 days of cardio, I train with a polar hear rate monitor. 3 days a week I do an hour at mytarget heart rate, 2 days a week I do endurance cardio with my heart rate kept at 154 on average. I weight train 4 days a week doing chest, back and biceps 2 days a week, legs and shoulders 2 days a week. I take 2 full days off. Diet wise I am on about an 1800 calorie diet on workout days 1600 on non workout days, trying to keep my ratios......15-20% fat, 25-30% protein, 55% carbs, I used to eat much lower fat and higher protein but the new thing we're trying is higher healthy fats lower on the protein higher on the carbs.

I am on levoxlyn (sp). I've heard of the med your on (armour), do you think its better than synthroid or levoxyl (sp)?

I would tell you where I live, but they will black it out before you see it, your not allowed to post personal info.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #12
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Wow! They put me on Synthroid when I got pregnant, I actually was hospitalized for 2 wks due to ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, basically I accumalted about 50 lbs. fluid in body over the course of 3 days. Anyway, a nephrologist was brought in my case and did some test, and said that I needed Synthroid. I was on the lowest dosage. I really had not done the research that I am doing now. Anyway, I was on Synthroid for about 1 1/2 yrs. then developed SVT- a type of rapid heartrate. They put me on calcium channel blocker. I had all kinds of test, my electrophysiologist told me to elimiate the sythorid to see if this went away and eventually it did. About, 1 year so later a had a constipation problem, went to a gastro. doctor. Had a colonoscopy, nothing was found, they told me it was IBS. As i did more and more research with all my symptoms, Low body temp. low pulse, B/P, tired, insomia, constipation, bloating, water retention to name a few (ha ha). I finally saw an endo, he ran some tests. and he said they were fine. But, i did not believe it. Did some research on doctors. on a website. The doctor I go to know was listed as a "top doc". And sure enough he prescribed me Armour, (my choice). Its been 3 1/2 months so far.

Armour (natural desicatied pig glands- gross) as I have read from other posts, is great. It is combination of T4 and T3 (T3 is also cytomel-synthetic).

No, i dont think your a druggy! You want to try what ever will work. I would be to afraid to take ephedra with my SVT- which I havent had in long time. thank goodness.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:33 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Hi Nimbeth!! I'm not sure if I need armour because I have no idea if I need T3, I'm getting that tested next time. Synthroid and levoxyl just have t4 right? I'm getting my T3 tested next time so maybe I'll ask about armour.

I went to the gym last night, I always have to weight train at night after my hub comes home from work. Anyway, you know how you see the same people in these gyms the same days the same times every week? Well, it just kills me because I always see these girls in there in top notch shape. I watch there workouts and these girls don't nearly push themselves like I do, plus their cardio was almost non-existant. It pisses me off so bad. The first thing my husband asks when I tell him these things is......how old are they? Of course they look like there 20 but still, I think if you work hard you should get the pay off no matter what age. I don't know so frustrating.

I never had any problem with the ephedra drugs, I've always taken them before they knew they were dangerous. Too bad the ones they make now don't work at all, as I've experimented with them too.

What kind of a exercise/diet routine are you on? When are you going for your VO2 Max test?

Old 01-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #14
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi,

Well I sort have taken a break from exercisizing like a crazy, I had just started the Armour, and my energy ended up getting worse when I first started taking Armour, plus the T3 tends to make the heartrate a little a higher in the beginnning of treatment, but now it seems to have leveled off now. I just started back into an exercise schedule. I go to the gym about 4 times a week and do 2-3 x week of weight training. I was tired of living at the gym, and getting now results, eventhough I was working out twice a day on somedays.

I eat pretty healthy, other than picking from my kids plate here and there. Usually oatmeal, protein shakes, turkey, lots of salads, sometimes sugar free ice cream. I am not perfect. Lately my appetite has increased, maybe this means my metabolism is getting better. I try to keep my calories below 1600 I try to aim for 1300 calories.

I should be a skinny stick if I was normal, considering how much I exercise, and how good I eat. sooooo frustrating. My BMR test is this wednesday.

Do you take your Basal body temp? I take mine every morning, and sometimes throughtout the day. This last week mine has risen to about 98.0-98.3 in the am (they say thats a good thing!)

Old 01-15-2005, 11:04 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Wow, you actually were going to the gym 2x a day? That is nuts!!!

Thankfully, my kids are not eating real food yet so there is no chance to pick. My husband for a while was eating whatever he wanted, so all these unhealthy snacks were around, I basically stayed clear but it wasn't easy. Its also hard because I don't leave the house much with the babies. I find it diifficult and very inconvenient to drag them out to do errands. So I am home all day, so I could really do damage if I had no disipline. I keep a food and exercise diary on access and I track my total cals, fat, protein, and carb intake each day. I plan my meals and times first thing after I feed the babies. So there is no chance of trying to eat out of my plan. Also I give it to my exercise physiologist so she can give me advice on my diet. I forgot to tell you with my diet I also take some vitamin supplements my exercise physiologist recommended. I take flaxseed, tonalin, and green tea extract, and a recovery agent in the am, then at lunch my multivitamin (because it has iron I keep it far away from my levoxyl which I take at 7 am) then at dinner flax seed capsules, tonalin, calcium, magnesium zinc pill and then at night a recovery agent either in my post weight workout drink or by itself.

If you are exercising as much as you say you are, I think you shouldn't eat less than 1600 calories/day. Eat more of your calories in the first half of your day as well as more of your carbs and make sure you are eating carbs before you workout and eat within 45 mins after working out.

I know, if I was a normal person I would be a rail too. Do you have friends who are like....."Oh my god, if I worked out like you I would be in the best shape of my life!!" I hate those comments.

I don't take my temp, I never really thought about it because since the pregnancy I am never cold, so I didn't think that was an issue.

Where do you get your test done? At a weight loss place or a gym?

Closed Thread