It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 07:42 AM   #1

Panther22 HB User
Rai

Well, I guess I just have a few questions. I am in the military and stationed in Germany. To make a long story short, I had my thyroid taken out in mid Dec. The reason being multiple nodual goiter (one was 5 cm) with inconclusive FNAB. I felt perfectly fine after ther surgery when I was started on my Synthroid. My thyroid was so "interesting" that they had to send it back to the states to see what the issue was. I just got the results back the other day and one of the noduals was minimal grade falicual carcoma (sorry I don't have the report next to my and I can't spell all that well). So of course now I have to go off the meds for 6 weeks and get RAI. My few questions are:

1) Can you drive to and from RAI?
2) How bad am I going to start feeling?
3) How long does RAI usually take (how many days in the hospital)?
4) And recomendations about anything???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
(female)

ccole2 HB User
Re: Rai

Dear Panther22,

I have had RAI, but not for the same reasons. I was Dx with Grave's disease (hyperthyroid). Your diagnosis is a fancy name for thyroid cancer (they have hopefully told you this) and the RAI is the best known therapy to cure this. It is a very curable cancer. How you will feel and many of the other questions you had are dependant on the dosage of RAI you are given. Your radiologist is the best person to answer these questions. For the most part, RAI has few side effects. I experienced acute thyroiditis with mine but that is unlikely for you since your thyroid has been removed. I have had some stomach problems since but have been managed with antacids. I hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
(female)

am3 HB User
Re: Rai

I had my RAI done in September of 2004. From my experience I would have been able to drive myself, but it was comforting to have someone with me. There isn't usually a stay in the hospital the day of the procedure, I had to go through counseling that morning then they gave me the pills (I had to take 2 for the dosage they gave me). You have a half hour before you actually become radioactive. As for how you will feel, I would say it is diffferent for everyone, I actually got a very upset stomach and got sick a few hours later. If you do get sick make sure that you don't go anywhere but in the toilet for contamination reasons. After that first day I just kind of felt like I had a cold. Achy joints and tired mostly. I was also very careful about contaminating others and stayed 6 feet away from others for a week until my gieger count was at around a 5. Then I got to be withing 3 feet of people until I was in the totally free range.
Good luck, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had invisioned it would be. I hope the same goes for you!

Closed Thread