It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Who has heart palps with hypothyroidism?

Is this a common symptom of hypothyroidism? Can they last for some time when they are occuring (continuous as opposed to sporadic)? Does it resolve with proper treatment?

Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: Who has heart palps with hypothyroidism?

Yes yes yes, many many many of us have heart palps. Generally with proper treatment and when your levels are optimal for you the palps will lesson or pretty much disappear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks dea4! Mine have been getting much worse lately, so I think I need a dose increase. I am seeing a different doctor tomorrow. I really hope he is knowledgeable.

Old 01-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Yes I have them on and off too. That was a major symptom for me before diagnosis. I still have them from time to time.
Good luck with your new doctor!
Barb

Old 01-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
(female)

elggon HB User

That is what first got me to the doctor was heart palpitations. Mine come and go depending on the day.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone for your responses. This symptom certainly can be worrisome.

Barb, thanks for the well wishes. I will let you know how the appointment goes

Old 01-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Ticker,
I had been seeing a cardiologist for over a year for palp. And actually admitted overnight after an episode with crushing chest pain on Mother's Day last year.
The next week I saw a new internist (had the appt for a month already). After reviewing my full thyroid panel, he told me he was suprised I wasn't in the hospital in a coma. He said my whole body was shutting down. No wonder I had such bad heart palp.
He has slowly been increasing my meds since last may and my heart palps are so infrequent that when I do have them - I'm shocked. I was having them about every other day prior to getting my meds right and now maybe once a month. I also am no longer taking HBP/heart palp. medicines either. My BP is now excellent too.
So - coming from someone who has been there - done that - YES Heart Palp. ARE a hypoT problem!
Wishing you all the best!
hrtofluv

Old 09-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #8

lcouser HB User

Ticker,

I have been reading your posts regarding heart palp and hypothyroid. I have some symptoms of hypoT and then others I do not have. I was diagnosed several years ago with thyroiditis but was told I did not have any levels that justified meds. But, now I am thinking I need to go to a different doc. Like many of the posts -- I got extremely frustrated. Have you ever tried Julie Hendrix in Franklin? I was considering calling her for an appt.

Any advice would be very much welcomed.

Thank You

Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I have Hashi's (hypothyroid) and have palps. They come and go. I also have the spiking blood pressure and anxiety attacks that comes and goes. I will have it for a week or so and maybe go several months and it starts all over again.

TSH .113..............range 35 - 5.5
Ft3 2.9.................range 2.3 - 4.2
Ft4 1.2.................range .8 - 1.8

I feel that if I could increase my meds they would go away, but dr. won't increase meds because of suppressed TSH. My gp finally agreed to let me, but my blood pressure rises and I have anxiety attacks and it scares me. (I have never had these in my life before now)She gave me a small amount of Cortef, 5mg day and it makes me feel fuzzy headed. I have 2 nodules 1.5 and 2, (benign) that I feel must be releasing hormone from time to time. I have no TPO antibodies and only 35 AgTbodies. If the antibodies are what kills off your thyroid, in my case it may never.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
(female)

Calore HB User

I am hypo and from time to time experience palpitations. I have been away from this board but came to check out what you all had to say on some of the problems I have as my symptoms have reappeared. My endo and internist look at me like I am nuts when I tell them I have palps which to them is not a symptom of hypot.
Well, its good to see I am not alone!! I mean with palpitations and hypot!
I told them I get anxious spells sometimes too..so internist wanted to put me on propanalol. Told him forget it, I'll manage... I thought he was gonna suggest tranquilizers--typical
Turns out my TSH was down and lately going up + along with it, those nasty palps so I guess we just have to keep on our toes, look after ourselves and consult this Board! thanks for the reassurance all...and good health!
Calore

Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #11
(female)

boata HB User

Heart palps can also be caused by low ferritin which is stored iron. If your level is below 70 you could be helped by getting this number up. Most doctors will not check ferritin unless you ask specifically for it. Also, palps can be an issue with adrenal fatigue. Also, other hormones can come into play - I only have my own experience to go on this, but in my case - progesterone deficiency when on thyroid meds can cause palps. Please don't self treat with progesterone creams unless a blood or saliva test shows you are deficient as this can cause problems also. I have not had palps since treating low progesterone. Also of interest, after going on supplemental progesterone I had to lower my dose of Armour. To me, this indicates that they somehow work together. Just MHO.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

I had heart palps for many years before I got diagnosed with hypo, hashi's.
I got diagnosed 14 months ago!!

I did have a thyroid blood blood test back in october 2003 that was normal.

The doctor always said to me that it was stress!!!

I do still get them now and then....Mandy

Old 09-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #13
(female)

Texiss HB User

Just curious...you guys are saying "heart palpitations" but do you mean "rapid heartbeat" or "foreceful heartbeat"? I suffer from rapid heartbeat and am Hashi HypoT. Just curious.

Chris

Old 09-29-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Heart paps.....................heart will skip beats, flip flop, irregular, etc. Sometimes this can happen with a fast heartbeat, but can also happen with normal or slow heartrate. But just a fast heartrate is not heart paps.

I have them more with regular or slow heartbeat and when I have anxiety.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi lcouser. I did not see your post until today.

Did you see Dr. Hendrix? I have never seen her.

Closed Thread