It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
Question about the body absorbing thyroid meds

I was wondering I have read many things regarding the body absorbing thyroid meds best on an empty stomach and not to take a calcium or iron supplement within 4 hrs of taking thyroid medication so the body can absorb the meds properly. My question is.....if your body is absorbing all the thyroid med properly would this be reflected in the blood work? Or is it possible that the blood work could be correct, but your body is not really absorbing all the meds and therefore not helping one's symptoms?

I know a bit confusing..

Old 01-24-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
Re: Question about the body absorbing thyroid meds

anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

I have a theory about all this. It seems to me that blood is not tissue and just because your blood test comes back appearing "normal" doesn't mean you are normal.

Since no one takes a hunk of flesh of ya to see what is going on inside the tissue cells...no one with any real sense could surmise what is really going on there, by a blood test alone. The blood test only tells what is "circulating"...rather than seeping into your tissues properly. Make sense?

This is why a blood test is very poor indicator...of what is going on in the vast set of molecules that make up the human body.

I don't think I've met a doc yet who has even bothered to think of this.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

That is a good point softcrush, you really seem to have a good grasp on this. I guess based on that one will never reaaly know if the meds were being absorbed unless like you said, we cut a hunk of flesh out and tested that. I am realizing nothing medically is easily answered or resolved.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
(female)

angeluv73 HB User

ok i eat cereal in the am for breakfast. I take my meds about a half hour b4 this. Does this mean its not absorbing?

Old 01-25-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Angeluv73 I'm not sure. I was told to wait an hour before eating for best results. Either way I'm not getting any, but I think that's because my dosage is wrong.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:35 PM   #7
(female)

angeluv73 HB User

OK, Wellsince Im having milk & cereal in the am does the milk make the meds not absorb? Does anyone know?

Old 01-26-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Definitely don't have milk. Calcium and iron should be taken at least 4 hrs after thyroid meds, that I definitely know.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

My med bottle has a label that states to take the meds in a.m. on an empty stomach 1 hour before meal, or 2-3 hours after eating. It has been reported that calcium and iron interfere with absorption. My assumption has been that the calcium referred to is supplemental calcium. You could take it at bedtime, if the 2-3 hour rule is followed then you could eat when you get up without worry.
Being consistent is the clue, IMO.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Coffee W/Milk

I'm so glad someone started this thread. It answers a question for me. I've been concerned about absorption, and the cause must be that I always have two cups of coffee about an hour after taking my thyroid med! It's about half milk. One could substitute non-dairy creamer, I guess, or, take it at night. I wonder if non-dairy has calcium. One would have to read the label.

The doctor said some people have reported the pill comes out looking the same as when they swallowed it. He was probably kidding, putting me on, and I didn't think to ask so what do you do about that?

Last edited by Eagle; 01-27-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

WEll,

There was a thread about this a while back and MEEP fostered a big idea about putting the med under the tounge. His theory is that it will dissolve and enter the blood stream faster...so you can eat faster. So..you get best of both worlds.

I like it...and I do it that way ALL the time now. Even thought the Armour gives one pretty stinky breath!

~S

Old 01-29-2005, 08:04 PM   #12
(female)

angeluv73 HB User

Does it taste bad?

Old 01-30-2005, 05:21 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Well, I can't say it tastes good! LOL The Armour is particularly BLECH!

The up-side is you can get on with things quicker, and you don't have to be so rigid about the eating thing, and you can getter better absorbtion that way. I think lots of folks on this board have decided to follow Meep's suggestion, and some report that it improving absorbtion significantly.

~S

Closed Thread