It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #1

MydeadSea HB User
how do they test your thyroid?

well Im brand new to this part of the health board n i have a question. I promised my b/f I'd get my thyroid checked cus we both think I have a problem but Im PETRIFIED of doctors, so ,..could someone please tell me EXACTLY how they test your thyroid?...I mean, would I have to remove any clothing or anything? Im really scared but i really need to get it checked so any information would be appreciated.

Also, if they find a problem w/ it, how is it fixed, and will it help me to lose any weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
(female)

Mellybean HB User
Re: how do they test your thyroid?

Testing your thyroid is through blood tests, the most common tests are the TSH which test the amount of thyroid stimulating hormone in your blood, the free T3 and the free T4 test. The only peice of clothing that would have to be removed is a jacket, and your sleeve rolled up. They also might feel your neck to tell if your glands and thyroid are swollen, too small, or whether there are any nodules on it. I was just diagnosed less than a week ago and i went for another blood test today, it really isnt that bad. The way they treat a thyroid problem really depends on the problem you have, whether it is overactive or underactive. I dont really know much about a hyperthyroidism, or an over active thyroid. I am sure someone more experienced with thyroid problems can explain that to you. What makes you and your boyfriend think that you might have a thyroid problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 03:59 PM   #3

MydeadSea HB User

thanks for the reply The reason we think something may be wrong is because I've been on a diet for some time now with no results, so he looked up the symptoms of an underactive thyroid and I have several of them, including:
Tiredness
weight gain
dry skin
feeling cold all the time
depression
muscle cramps.

I know it could be a number of things, so if it isnt my thyroid atleast i'll have it narrowed down that much. Im also afraid that if I go in and nothing is wrong with it, I'll just look like some fat chick who's too lazy to diet,but given my symptoms, something has to be wrong..I'd just like to find out what it is, and get it taken care of, the sooner the better

Old 01-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
(female)

Crazy4ever HB User

It is better to have it checked an possibly not have a problem than to have a problem and never know. I would also have them check your fasting glucose. Some women can have inuslin resistance or what they are now calling Pre-diabetes. This is also done by a blood test. If you are indeed insulin resistant, they will give you a perscription for Metformin(generic name) or Glucophage(brand name). You will then need to watch your carb/sugar intake. There is an insulin resistance diet out there and will help you loose weight if you eat like you should. Make sure that you exercise every day. Walking is a great exercise. I find it very refreshing to take a walk whenever I can.

Make a list of all your symptoms, questions and concerns before going to the doctor. This way you will not forget anything.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #5

MydeadSea HB User

Alright, thanks, Im going to make an appointment to go. The doctor I had the last time I went for something was really cool so I hope I get him.....But some of the doctors there are really stuck up and I could get stuck with someone who thinks Im making it all up to get a miracle pill to lose weight...Hope that doesnt happen Also I have been exercising but not for very long...I just started doing my tae bo tape again,and I'm currently on a low carb diet, so, with all that, and getting my thyroid checked, I hope I can find out whats going on and start losing some serious weight

Closed Thread