It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

KnuckleDown HB User
i really need some help.does anyone know if this sounds like a thyroid problem?please

hi. i posted this earlier in the Anxiety section, and a girl there suggested to me that my problem might be thyroid-related. i'd never really heard anything about thyroid disorders before but i read some of the symptoms on this page and i can really relate to some of them. especially the sense of de-realization, of just being in a total fog. and of just being almost dumb sometimes, like you really cant follow or participate in a conversation at all. nothing to say, nothing in my head. also my legs feel really heavy and weighed down a lot, which i read was a symptom also. i dont know, here's what i posted before, i think it explains it as well as i know how to explain it(which isnt too well):

dont know what will come of writing this, but i'm doing it on the off chance that somebody will be able to give me some insight into what my problem is. which may not even be possible. but all i can do is try.

every day i go through the same round of questions in my head. why why why can't i reach my real potential? i've always been very unique, and i dont just say that because it's what people have told me, i say it because i believe it. i see things in a very different light than most people. i know i have the capacity to be very intelligent, to make life-long friends, and to have a hell of a lot of fun in my life. but instead i wake up in the morning go to bed at night and in between i just sort of pass time. but not really even pass time. i just feel stuck, always. so my problem is this: i dont know who i am. every day i feel different because every day i try to fill in the blank spaces inside with something else. but i never fill them in at all. i have friends, people who love me who i could call anytime, but i dont. and when they call me, i just press the ignore button. and when i actually do force myself to hang out with one of them, its just uncomfortable the whole time. because on the surface, it seems like i just dont have anything to say. which i know is the farthest thing from the truth imaginable. i mean, i SHOULD have things to say. but my head is always just foggy and unclear. i honestly never know what i think or feel. i would if i could just get past this barrier. this{REMOVED}in my head that wont let me be free. i used to think it was anxiety, and even went on Paxil for a while but it did nothing, and i realize now that i dont think it is anxiety. so i dont think its any sort of chemical imbalance in my brain, its just me. and i dont understand why i keep doing this to myself. i never DO anything. the fact that i just woke up an hour ago means nothing really, just a new day to battle this confusion in my head. this huge gaping hole inside of me. and i'm not depressed really, because i dont even really feel anything but confusion. blank blank blank. cant feel anything when you're thinking all the time "WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?" i have a journal filled with pages of lines asking the same questions, and there are no answers. i just keep asking. so i guess that's what i'm doing here too. i'm asking if anyone out there has any idea what my {REMOVED}problem is. its a long shot, and i know this whole post is probably pretty vague and maybe i didnt even make sense. i'm just so tired of not having a life, and its especially maddening because i know what a great life i COULD have if i could just get the{REMOVED}out of this.

if anyone read that whole thing, i really appreciate it. i guess i'm just looking for any insight, any advice, anything really. thank you.

forgot to mention: i also have a couple lumps on my neck, one is on the left side of my neck in the middle its almond-sized/shaped and feels soft, moves if i touch it. the other is on the upper right back side of my neck at hairline, its pea-sized and is hard. also, the right front side of my neck just seems bigger than the left, like its inflamed almost, but it doesn't hurt or anything. i'm just wondering if any of these might have anything to do with the thyroid. i havent had them checked out ever.

Last edited by KnuckleDown; 01-24-2005 at 11:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
(female)

KnuckleDown HB User
Re: i really need some help.does anyone know if this sounds like a thyroid problem?please

maybe i'll get no help here then. if someone does read this who has any ideas for me, please help me out.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: i really need some help.does anyone know if this sounds like a thyroid problem?please

Do you have any of the other symptoms? What you're discribing is depression and it can be a symptom of thyroid problems. And antidepressants generally don't work for people with thyroid disorders. I was put on Prozac and later my doctor added Xanax to the Prozac I was already taking. Neither of them worked. It was a major symptom for me. Eight months I spent in that fog before I was tested and found that I'm hypothyroid.
Call your doctor and ask to be tested.
Good luck!
Barb

Old 01-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

KnuckleDown HB User

yeah i get the foggy, de-realization feeling too. and i'm very sensitive to cold temperatures, feel like my legs are weighed down, like sometimes it just feels weird to walk, and almost as though my balance is off. i dont seem to have any problems with weight, and my skin isn't too dry except i guess for my scalp and my legs. i guess i just posted that to see if anyone could relate to how i felt, maybe before they were treated or something... hell if i know what i'm doing, honestly. i guess i might get it checked out yeah. i'd really like to know if anyone else has any input first though. i know i'm not good at explaining. i'm sorry.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
Wink Re: i really need some help.does anyone know if this sounds like a thyroid problem?please

Knuckledown - I am so glad you posted your story on this board. I read your last reply to me, and you had me in tears. I'm giving you the biggest hug right now. You just seem so caring and wanting to be you. I don't know where you are but if I was there I'd drag your tush to the doc to get checked out. Hell, I'd even pay for it. There are lots of great people on this board who have answered a ton of my questions. I noticed that quite a few people have read your story. I do belive that there is something going on with you. Maybe it's not the thyroid but it's something and I think you have come to the realization that whatever it is there may be help for you. And I believe that whatever it is there is help for you. I didn't have the weight issue either when I was diagnosed. I think that is a common one for a lot of people.

I've been thinking about you, so I want you to keep in touch on one of the two boards. I will be looking for you. GET THAT TEST DONE!! You never know. The thyroid is such a hormonal thing. It is amazing what it can affect.

Take care hun! I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Last edited by Stacia; 01-25-2005 at 07:36 PM.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Knuckles:

The best thing you can do is get on the phone and starting calling for a endocrinologist with a specialty in thryoid. Once you get there, you can have your neck examined and scanned, if they have a machine on site. You will be sent for a thyroid blood panel.

Then you will have a game-plan formed to know one way or the other...what needs to be done from there.

I would get on this right away. Its important that you push yourself to do it even if your are feeling stuck right now. Okay?

My prayers are with you.

~S

Old 01-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I agree totally with softcrush. It's very important that you get to the bottom of this. If it is your thyroid that's causing all of this, without treatment, it can get much worse. Please find an endocrinologist who specializes in thyroid issues. Get tested and get well.
And please keep in touch. We're pulling for you.
Barb

Old 01-26-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
(female)

KnuckleDown HB User

thanks for the advice. no one mentioned whether those lumps i was asking about sounded like they could be thyroid-related. anyone have any idea? can i just go see my regular doctor or do i have to see an endocrinologist? what should i say to him/ask him exactly? i mean just that i'm having symptoms that may be related to a thyroid disorder and i wanted to see if he could run some tests or what? i'm nervous. but i know i should do this, just so that i'm not wondering later on if maybe this really was what's wrong with me. i pray that it is, as weird as that may sound. knowing there may be a name/cure for what has happened to me is very exciting, but it almost seems too good to be true. ah well i dont know anything yet, i may as well just get it checked out. ok i have to go to bed now. good night.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You can try your regular doctor if you feel more comfortable with him/her. The important thing right now is that you get tested. You should be sure to ask for TSH, ft3 and ft4. And it wouldn't hurt to ask to be tested for thyroid antibodies either.
Please try not to worry. All the doctor will need to do is a simple blood test.
Oh and no, I don't think it's weird at all that you're wanting to put a name to your symptoms. I was actually relieved when they found out what was wrong with me.
Barb

Old 01-26-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry I forgot to address your question about the lumps. I don't think those would have anything to do with your thyroid. I'm basing my opinion on where you said the lumps are located. Of course, I'm no doctor.
Please call your doctor and get it checked out.
Barb

Old 01-27-2005, 08:46 AM   #11
(female)

KnuckleDown HB User

i was looking on the internet and found out there's an endocrinologist right up the street from me. should i just go ahead and call her? if so, what should i say to her? just ask if she can do some thyroid tests for me b/c of my symptoms? also, do you have any idea how expensive it would be? i dont have health insurance right now, and i also dont have a bulging bank account. so...any insight? i really want to get this checked out. thanks everyone

Old 01-27-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
(female)

KnuckleDown HB User

hey i just wanted to let stacia and anyone else intersted know that i just got off the phone with the doctor, made an appt. for the 7th to get my tests done. i feel really good about doing this. they even said on the phone that they'll do not only the TSH but the T3 and T4 as well, which i understand are also very important. so....just wanted to share this. thanks very much for the encouragement/advice i've gotten here. i'll be sure to let you know how the tests go.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #13
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
Thumbs up Re: i really need some help.does anyone know if this sounds like a thyroid problem?please

YAY!!! You made my day. I'm so happy you made the appointment. Make sure that the T3 and T4 tests are the free T3 and free T4. I can't wait to hear the results. And whatever you do, don't get discouraged if this isn't it. Please. There is something out there to make you feel better. I KNOW IT!!! I'm thinking about you!

Oh and yes, just tell her your symptoms and I can't imagine that she wouldn't agree to you being tested. You saw how many are on that list. The first time I went they took blood. It took a couple of days to get the results back. And he made me swallow water while he felt my neck. He also checked my reflexes. Pretty painless. And you don't even have to take your clothes off.

Good luck. I'm here whenever.

Last edited by Stacia; 01-27-2005 at 07:22 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am SOOOO HAPPY for you! HAPPY DANCE!
Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.
Barb

Old 01-28-2005, 11:56 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

The small bump or lump on the base of your skull may be what is referred to as the occipital protuberance, in some people its about the size of a dime and seems to stick out on others it is hardly noticiable. I know if I get a neck ache or bad head ache mine hurts. I think the Dr. should still look at it though just in case your lump is in soft tissue of your neck and not over the bone. If it is over the bone (base of skull) don't worry. The other lump could be a swollen gland. If it is really movable thats what I would suspect. You are having symptoms though and don't know why so do tell your Dr. about all of your worries with the lumps. Congratulations on your decision to be proactive in your healthcare. PS: get hard copies of all labs ect... Keep records.

Closed Thread