It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Inactive

yamamama HB User
pregnant with possible thyroid problem

Hi everyone,
I am about 5 monthes pregnant(and chronically ill). Last week I went into see my PCP because of a severe chest cold I have had for a couple weeks. At that time I explain I have been feeling so extremely fatigued that I could barely function. Because of my illness and having another small child I am always pretty tired...but things have slowly been going down hill. He wanted to do blood work to check my iron levels and 'other things'. They called me today to explain that my iron levels are just fine,but my thyroid (T4 I think) was very low. The nurse said it was 0.35- I'm not really sure what that means. They want me to come back in today to double check those levels and I guess we go from there. I have been searching the web and the info is so confusing to me that I am more confused after I read it then when I began. I understand because my levels are low that is hypo,right? My questions are what causes this to happen? Is my baby or myself in any grave danger? What course of treatment will be provided and does it help? Anything else anyone can add so this makes better sense...thatnks My best to you all,Nichole

Old 01-25-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Re: pregnant with possible thyroid problem

your t4 is low? Yes, I think that would be hypo. If your TSH is low, that would be hyper. (sweaty, shakey, etc.)

Try not to worry. It happens often in pregnancy. They will give you some meds probably and you and your baby should be ok!

Someone will be around to give you more info! Try not to worry!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Definitely don't worry, I had a thyroid problem before and while pregnant with my twins. I just had to take my levoxyl like always and everything was fine. They will have to monitor your thyroid levels throughout as well. I know we all go into panics when we here these things while pregnant. Don't worry this will be easily resolved.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Inactive

yamamama HB User

Thank you both so much. I just got back from my doctor's,he also told me not to worry and he thought it was low because of my pregnancy. I just never heard of this problem while pregnant. Guess the saying is true,learn something new everyday. He did want the bloodwork redone and I should hear something about that within the next few days. Your so right though...anything the smallest bit wrong during pregnancy and it can cause you to freak out a bit.I will post back here when I hear the news. Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Glad it all worked out. My daughter's name is Emily too

Closed Thread