It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
(male)

theman2000 HB User
It's comming out!

I visited my surgeon today and he said that he is going to take the right lobe of my thyroid out next Thursday.

I have never been so happy about getting surgury.

He said, given that I am male with a single cold hard nodule, it is better to play it safe and remove it. He said he is not a big fan of FNA's and only really depends on final dissection.

He did say that if the frozen sample comes back ugly then the whole thing goes. He also gave me the disclaimer about the possiability of 2 surgurys if the path comes back ugly days later.

From what he has seen is 4 out of 5 that get removed are benign. The cancerous ones he sees are 99% cured for life. Thats pretty good odds for people that are freaked out about their nodules.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #2

Colomolo HB User
Re: It's comming out!

Good luck, I might go down that route. But I have several and said to be cystic so Im not sure what I should do. Friday I will know more.

But are you getting any blood tests too? You mentioned some of your symptoms in another post so I wondered if you were going to get antibody tests or anything?

Anyway Im pleased that you are finally getting this sorted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #3

kgent HB User

Good News, glad to hear you making progress!

Be sure to tell us how it turns out. Hoping it is not cancerous, but even so the outlook is very promising.

I have no major/large nodules like I said before, but I have had some swings in thyroid hormone levels as the gland was attacked. Enough to make me consider getting them ripped out myself just to avoid any future cycles.

-HashiGent

Old 01-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
(male)

theman2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomolo
But are you getting any blood tests too? You mentioned some of your symptoms in another post so I wondered if you were going to get antibody tests or anything?
I am getting a pre-op blood test probably for blood type. The surgeon did not think it was an antibody thing since all the rest of the thyroid was fine. Right shape, no swelling.

I am sure that I will get plenty of blood tests after the sugury. I have debated telling my GP about the surgury, or showing up at his office afterwards with a nice scar.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #5

Colomolo HB User

Well good luck, we will be thinking about you next Thursday so get back soon.

So how long are you in hospital for? Is is a simple procedure?

Old 01-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
(male)

theman2000 HB User

A friend of ours that used the same doc with the same procedure was out paitent because she did so well. But they schedule you for an over night stay.

You can barly even see her scar.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #7

Its Megan HB User

Best of Wishes to you! Im glad it worked out the way that you wanted it to You crack me up with that "should i tell my GP or should I just show up with a nice scar" lol Thats original.

Closed Thread