It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 11:08 PM   #1

mommiof3 HB User
daughter with thyroid probs??

needing suggestions, we recently had blood work performed on our 7 year old daughter, I was not expecting to find anything, however, her total cholesterol was 199, LDL 151, HDL 28, TSH was 2.1. The reason I was so concerned was because she has had a rather big increase in her size of clothes in the past 3 months and prior to that was just going up in size a little too fast, but not until she went from a size child 10 in October to a size 14/16 now did I think something else could be the problem. She is a very good eater, makes very good choices, yogurt, carrots, light popcorn, very little soda, nothing out of the ordinary and definitely not over 30 % fat in a day, in fact she usually eats less than her 4 year old sister, so needless to say I could not understand the sudden weight gain. I have been doing some reading and have found a relation between high cholesterol and hypothyroidism. Has anyone had any experience with this? I was concerned about hypothyroidism to begin with, as she has some symptoms of it, fatigue, dry skin, pains in muscles and joints, weight gain with no change in diet habits and she is very active, plays soccer and takes dance, not to mention recess. Any ideas, I would love to hear about them. Thanks

Old 01-26-2005, 05:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User
Re: daughter with thyroid probs??

She needs to have her free t3 and free t4 checked......also antibodies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

My nephew has cholesterol in 200's and he is 10. Slim, athletic, etc. His mom is the same way. It's hereditary. I told her to get her thyroid checked but she hasn't yet.

April

Old 01-26-2005, 09:02 AM   #4

KBT's mom HB User

My daughter is 9 and is hypoT. I have never had her cholesterol checked but her TSH did start out in the 2 range and continually got higher. The first symptoms I noticed was also the dramatic weight changes. I would definitly have her Free t4 and Free t3 checked and find a good doctor that is up-to-date on treating the thyroid.
Good Luck!

Old 01-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Question to Mommiof3 and KBT:
Do either of you have thyroid issues? I am curious because of my son's symptoms. I was finally medicated correctly starting last summer with hypoT.
My son has the weight issue, dry skin, fatigue, and is being ruled out for JRA because of his joint pains.
THANKS for any advice/info.
hrtofluv

Old 01-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #6

KBT's mom HB User

hrtofluv- NO- neither my husband nor myself have thyroid problems. It's a mystery to me how my daughter is the unlucky one to have an underactive thyroid. The nearest realtive with thyroid problems is her great-grandma and she is hyper. Who knows??

Old 01-27-2005, 02:22 PM   #7

mommiof3 HB User

After thinking about it. I was actually dx with hypot several years ago, but just I guess chose to ignore it, now of course it is all starting to make sense.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #8

mommiof3 HB User

Thank you every one for your words of wisdom. We have an appointment on Monday, with a dr. that seems to be rather forward thinking about treating the patient and not just the "normal" tsh results, so I will let you know what they decide. Thanks again, Cathy

Old 01-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

A note on the cholesterol. When I was diagnosed my cholesterol was 310. I am 5'3 and 117lbs so this shocked me. After being on the thyroid medication it came down naturally. Last time it was checked it was 195.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #10
(female)

hyposandy HB User

I know that my bad cholesterol has gone up since I found out I was hypo. I had asked the doctor to run blood work for hypo and he did it all. I'm hoping now that I am medicated that it will go back down to normal. My blood pressure was also elevated. I'm hoping that regulates also.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi mommieof3,

I'm sorry to be so late posting to you here but I have been having new tests and been on the Lupus boards a lot. We have a son who was diagnosed hypoT when he was 10. Our dentist caught it by the way. Our son is 35 now.

First came a stop in growth, height. While he stopped growing up he was getting chubby, his skin became very dry, his hair stopped growing and became very brittle, it never fell out that I noticed. He became sluggish, sleeping a lot more than usual. He was unable to sustain the energy needed to play ball like he once did. For over a year our Dr. said he was a late bloomer, many boys are he said. Then one day our dentist asked if I had ever had his thyroid checked. The dentisit noticed that he didn't have the normal amount of second teeth for age 10 and there were none developing in his gums. He told me that he noticed it during earlier appts. too but thought, like the Dr., that the boy was just a little late with things.

It seems our dentist had seen one childhood case of hypothyroidism some years earlier and our son brought it back to him. None of us had ever heard of it before. He called our Dr. and we had blood tests done that day. Our son's TSH was very high. Got us in with an endo at the Hershey Med Center the very next week. Our son was symptomatic for over 2 years before it was picked up on. Thank heaven for that dentist. The endo said another 6 months untreated could have resulted in brain damage.

At the time of diagnosis, his heart was slow, but beat much harder than it should have. His cholesterol was up over 200. I'm afraid I don't remember much more, it was 25 years ago. I remember the skin, hair, and how cold he got vividly. The poor boy was always freezing.

I guess I have told you all this so you know it isn't just weight gain, but it can start there. Insist that your daughter be tested for thyroid problems on a reg basis as her entering puberty can have great consequences if her thyroid is not functioning properly.

May God Bless and Keep Us All
Patience 50

Old 01-28-2005, 01:20 PM   #12

KBT's mom HB User

HI Patience. I am just curious about the statement you made about puberty and great consequences if the thyroid isn't functioning properly. My daughter is 9 and I'm afraid puberty isn't too far away. She is on thyroid meds but definitly isn't at her optimal range yet. I know the chances are slim, but I have been hoping that possibly when she went through puberty that her thyroid problems would get better instead of worse. Do you care to fill me in on what you know?
Thanks!

Old 01-28-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi KBT's mom,

Thyroxine is one of those hormones that has it's fingers in everything else in the body, so to speak. If the thyroxine level isn't right, ain't nothing going to work right. I was told at the time that our son could have been sterile if it had not been caught. This controls metabolism, growth, and developement. Our son's lack total lack of thyroxine literally stopped his bones, (ie his teeth) from developing. Consider how early secondary teeth begin to develope in the gums. It is long before they actually emerge and push the baby teeth out, correct? Our son only had 8 secondary teeth, 4 on the top and 4 on the bottom and at ten years of age there were no others forming in his gums. All his growth, brain, major organ, as well as height was affected.

Later I learned my one Aunt also suffered from juvenile hypoT onset. Hers was not caught until she was in her middle teens and she was never able to have children. Her overies and uterus never developed properly. This is why I stressed, especially since you have a girl, that you want to keep on top of this problem. Don't wait till check up time if you think something is out of whack. Call and have the blood test done. With a growing child, sooner safe than sorry.

Patience 50

Old 01-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #14

mommiof3 HB User

Patience,
Thank you so much for your advice, everything you said is starting to come together, my daughter has lost some of her baby teeth however that has come to an abrupt halt, not even another loose one in quite some time and she is cold all the time too. I will let you know what the dr. says on Monday. Thank you for your words of wisdom.

till then,
cathy

Old 01-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Dear Mommiof3,

Just to put your mind at ease, now that the problem has been identified, it is easy to keep track of if your Dr. is good. Our son had blood work done every 6 weeks for the first year after diagnosis to monitor how well his system was building and using the synthroid. The next year blood work was every three months and after that every 6 months unless we noticed symptoms until he went to college. The endo we had here found him one in his college town too. He is 35 now, married 5 years, one daughter,

Patience 50

Closed Thread