It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #1

KayKay1173 HB User
TSH levels

Hi all,

I have a question about my TSH levels. I had TSH T3 & T4 blood work yesterday and my TSH level was 0.28. Last Sept. it was 0.16. The nurse that gave me the results from the blood work in Sept. said that the levels were normal and it was 0.16. How can that be normal? Anyway, I have an appointment with my endo in March so I've got to wait that long to have something done. From Sept. until today, I've gained an enormous amount of weight!! Had the nurse read the results right the first time maybe I could have had something done by now and not gained all this weight.

I'm curious about treatments because I was told by my endo last year that I have Graves disease. What are some of the treatments and how well did they work for some of you? Also,how am I going to make it another month or so before I can see the endo? I've gained all this weight, I'm irritable most of the time, mood swings out the ying yang... The list goes on. What are some ways to cope?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!!

KayKay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: TSH levels

I don't know, but I thought that low of a TSH would make a person lose weight or at least maintain a normal one. I would go and get copies of those labs and see them for yourself. Maybe Meep or someone else could help with this because I do not know much about Graves disease and TSH suppression. Are you hot all the time? Do you have heart palapations?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Please post copies of your bloodwork along with the ranges.
I assume you are not on any treatment?

Old 01-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #4

KayKay1173 HB User

Thank you for your response!

Well, I talked with the nurse again and she didn't have my chart in front of her but she said my t3 & t4 were in normal range. It's just my tsh that's out of range. 0.16 in sept and now 0.28. I didn't ask the nurse this question, but just how low is that? Low, somewhat low, or really low? The only thing the nurse said about it was that my thyroid's out of whack.

Also, I'd heard that with low tsh you can gain or lose weight, I don't know, I'm still new to all this.

I have hot flashes off and on. I'm really heat intolerable, that's for sure! And I also have heart palpatations most of the time. They really bother me. I do have some chest pain but not too often.

I don't know the measurements but my endo told me last year that I have an enlarged thyroid. I'm like okay.... What exactly can an enlarged thyroid mean?

Todays been a bad day. I've really been feeling like crap, really sluggish, irritable, fatigued, brain fog, heart palpatations and I can't get my breathing pattern right. I know that sounds weird, but it's like I'm breathing differently. Not like I'm short of breath, just breathing weird. Can't really explain it. I feel like I'm not really in my body, almost like it's a dream or something. Hmmmm
Okay enough of my rambling.

Thank you again for your responses! It was greatly appreciated! I just want to feel good again.

Kay

Old 01-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Within normal range for the T3 and T4 does not mean they are o.k. A lot depends on where in the range they are. Try to get the results and ranges, chances are your numbers are NOT where they need to be and its reflected in the TSH.
The TSH is a pituitary response, the AACE guidelines for TSH is .3-2.5, the FREE T3 and FREE T4 are your actual thyroid hormones, those are the ones you want to know where in the range they are along with the TSH for proper diagnosis.
Do you know if the T's they tested are totals or frees?

Old 01-26-2005, 04:03 PM   #6

KayKay1173 HB User

Hi dea,

I'm not real sure if it was free t3 & 4 but I'll find out tomorrow. There's so much of this I don't know because I'm still new to it all. Like I said earlier, I just want to feel better. I'm so tired of the way I feel!

I'll keep you posted and thank you for your response!

KayKay

Old 01-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Have you been tested for antibodies?? The heat intolerance almost sounds like hyperthyroidism (possibly graves). You might request that they run antibodies tests on you and be sure to get a copy of your labs. Please let us know what you find out!

Old 01-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hashi's can also cause heat intolerance. I have Hashi's and I'm always hot and can't stand it when its real warm out.
I agree, if you have not had antibody testing you should get that done, TPO, Tg and TSI

Closed Thread