It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Is Armour More Effective Than Synthroid?

Hi everyone. I saw a new doctor today because I wanted to see about possibly adding Cytomel to the .75mg Synthroid I am currently taking. My Free T3 is about mid-range, and I am still having symptoms.

I really believe this doctor was heaven sent. One of the first things he said was that he goes by how patients feel and not by lab results alone! I sat there wide-eyed, staring at him and thinking this cannot be real. He told me that he generally sees better results with Armour than Synthroid. He took blood and when he gets the results he said he will have a plan of action. He said he will help me feel better. I think I am in shock.

It seems he will want me to try Armour. Is this a combo of T3 and T4? How does someone switch from Synthroid to Armour? Does anyone have any pro and/or con advice about Armour or about switching? Is there any chance it may work soon?

As always, I thank you for your responses. I hope I will be able to contribute when I learn more.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: Is Armour More Effective Than Synthroid?

In my opinion Armour would be better because it has both T3 and T4 and its the natural med not synthetic, however....many of us find that we also need to add a synthetic T4 in order to keep the T4 level up since Armour has a lot of T3.

Many people find that Armour relieves more of the symptoms and you tend to feel the effects of the T3 soon.

Glad you found a good dr, stick with him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks dea4 Maybe one day I will understand all of this!

I am excited to finally have hope. I did not think I would ever find a doctor like this. For those who are looking for a knowledgeable doctor, never give up no matter how frustrating it is.

I hope the blood work is back this week. The sooner I can start the better.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:06 AM   #4
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User

FWIW, my doctor prefers Armour to Synthroid too. When I first went to her I was undermedicated and on 88mcg of Synthroid. She switched me straight over to 2 grains of Armour and I felt a major improvement within about 10 days. I was stable on that dose for about 6 months, then started to go hyper so we cut it back. Humoring me, she let me add a small amount of Synthroid a few months back, but it just didnít work. As soon as my latest labs come back, weíll probably take my Armour back up to 2 grains. Wish my thyroid would hurry up and burn itself out. This Hashis rollercoaster is driving me nuts.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
(male)

turt_the_turtle HB User

I like this thread...From what I heard armour seems to work better for some who have lasting symptoms especial those related to the anxiety/depression aspect due to its content of T3. The reason most doctors use synthetic is because the doseage tends to be more acurate then that of the natural kind. Armour is taken from animals, and it can vary a bit. I dont think the variation is too significant to feel and so far Ive heard only good things about it. I hope more experienced people write in on this one. I too am out of work now for about a month. I am an ASE auto tech, so its hard to work when I feel this bad. How long have you been out of work for? I am on levothoroxine now for a week and a half but I heard it takes a bit longer than that to kick in. I never thought Id say this but I cant wait to go back to work!

Last edited by turt_the_turtle; 01-27-2005 at 11:29 AM.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
(female)

Lynn** HB User

My new Dr. added Armour 90mg...TO my taking Synthroid 100mg. So, I take both. Thus far I feel BETTER THEN EVER! I've been on the two of them for a month in a half.

Like your Dr. Mine values how I "feel" along with the labs. And his goal is to keep me at optimal. GOD BLESS these Dr's who get it!

Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turt_the_turtle
<snip> The reason most doctors use synthetic is because the doseage tends to be more acurate then that of the natural kind. Armour is taken from animals, and it can vary a bit. I dont think the variation is too significant to feel and so far Ive heard only good things about it. <snip>
The reason most doctors use synthetics is the drug salesmen push them. There have been far more recalls of synthetics for dose inaccuracies and quality control problems. Where the variations come in is going from one brand to another. Insurances and drug companies push generics but fail to tell you that the FDA allows the amount of active ingredients to vary significantly from one brand to another. Thatís not critical when dealing with some drugs, but with thyroid med dosages that are difficult to regulate as it is, it can really be a problem.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #8
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User

Can I just say, you folks are so-o-o-o lucky to have Drs. who don't just look at labs!

Old 01-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

fatiguegalore, try doing an on-line search of "Top Thyroid Doctors." You may be able to find some information. There are some good doctors--don't give up till you find the right one.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

I switched to Armour---the difference is amazing.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:41 AM   #11
(female)

Crazy4ever HB User

I was taking 50 mcg levothyroxine and it wasn't working. I started having major fatigue, heart flutters, SOB and all kinds of Hypo symptoms. My new doc changed me to Armour and I just started taking it on Sunday. At first I felt light headed but now I am really starting to feel better. The heart flutters and shortness of breath are gone and so is the major brain fog!

Old 01-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crazy4ever, thank you SO much for posting this!!!

The symptoms you describe are my main symptoms also. It is awesome that you are feeling better already. I hope it continues!

Old 01-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Two cents...

Research suggests Armour contains much more than t3 and t4. It actually contains all the stuff a thyroid gland would have....even stuff docs think that are "inert." The only reason they think they are innert, is because they don't know why the thyroid produces them. It doesn't mean they don't play an important role in your body's cells. All cells require certain things. Nobody can change that...even if they wish it....or make 3.9 billion dollars a years trying to convince you otherwise.

Notice how everyone on large amounts of Synthroid has to take a calcium supplement? Ever wonder why? Maybe the lack of something causes decalcification in their bones...and "that something" was produced by the thryoid gland before it bit the dust.

Why are all those people suddenly having weight issues, or mood, or cognition issues, or migranes? Its because straight t4 will leave you only partly healed....and partly dead if you take it long enough?

T4 has its uses...there is no question about that. I even take some Synthroid with my Armour. So, I wouldn't think its about taking one or the other. Its really all about just WHEN and HOW it is applied that's relevant. Not unlike many other things in life.

~S

Closed Thread