It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

Mellybean HB User
Just got my Free T3 and T4

okay i got the results back from the free T3 and free T4 test. but they are in normal range!

Free T3 1.05 (.75-1.54)
Free T4 2.97 (2.00-4.9)
TSH 8.13 (from a week ago)

I was on the meds for 4 days when i took the Free T3 and T4 test. hmm. Even if they are in normal range is it still indicative of hypothyroidism?

Old 01-26-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
Re: Just got my Free T3 and T4

I believe that your TSH alone is an indication of hypothyroidism. The T3 and T4 and show if other things are going on.

Hey guys ... Am I right on my thinking on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia
I believe that your TSH alone is an indication of hypothyroidism. The T3 and T4 and show if other things are going on.

Hey guys ... Am I right on my thinking on this?
No. TSH only shows what the pituitary gland is doing in response to the thyroid gland. Your TSH can be perfectly normal but if your T's are low, you are hypothyroid. That's why TSH alone should never be used to diagnose hypothyroidism.
Barb

Old 01-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
(female)

Mellybean HB User

So would these free T3 and T4 indicate that i am not hypothyroid then?

Old 01-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Mellybean,

Your TSH is high and you have not been on meds long enough for them to make a difference in your free's.
Your pituitary gland is responding to something going on with your thyroid.
Say your thyroid slowed down today and is no longer putting out as much t4 and t3 as it previously had. It could take several weeks for your free t4 and free t3 to drop. So it's possible that your pituitary gland noticed a decrease in production of t4 and t3 and responded immediately to that decrease even though your frees are still within range.
Barb

Old 01-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're definitely hypothyroid. No doubt about that.
Barb

Old 01-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
(female)

Mellybean HB User

okay good, cause i don't want to get poked anymore! not for another couple of months anyway! My pituitary (cortisone and something else) tests came back normal so it isn't my pituitary just going nuts.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmom
No. TSH only shows what the pituitary gland is doing in response to the thyroid gland. Your TSH can be perfectly normal but if your T's are low, you are hypothyroid. That's why TSH alone should never be used to diagnose hypothyroidism.
Barb
Thanks for the clarification Barb. I have a lot to learn myself on this stuff. I'm still a little confused on what you said about your TSH being off and your T4 and T3 being normal. I have the same question that Mellybean does I guess in that if your TSH is higher than the normal range and you don't treat it wouldn't it continuously get worse even if your T levels are okay??

Old 01-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
(female)

Mellybean HB User

I don't know. They are in the low end of the normal range, so maybe for me my body decided that it wasn't normal? But my TSH is high for having normal T's. Stacia is right, I am on .05 mg of synthroid right now, i should keep on it then so I don't wind up going really hypo? Am I lucky in that i caught it early?

Old 01-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, your TSH could get worse.
Your pituitary gland responds immediately to whatever your thyroid is doing or not doing. But it takes a while for it to affect your free's. I hope that answers your question. Sometimes I know what I want to say but can't put it into the right words.
Barb

Old 01-26-2005, 06:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mellybean,
You do want those to be in the mid to upper part of the range. That's where most people do their best.
Keep in mind that if the thyroid is failing, it takes several weeks for the frees to go down.
Oh yes, you are lucky you caught it early. How long have you been on meds?
Barb

Old 01-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #12
(female)

Mellybean HB User

No that makes a lot of sense, I have been having slight symptoms for almost a year (weight gain, tiredness etc.) But only recently have i started losing hair, brittle nails, missed period for 3 months and counting, and within the week of getting my diagnoses had my first episode of complete brain fog.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow this thread is going so fast it's unreal.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

It took 8-9 months of 1-2 doctor visits a month, 5 trips to the ER and one three day hospital stay before I got a diagnosis so in my book, you are very fortunate.
Barb

Old 01-26-2005, 06:29 PM   #15
(female)

Mellybean HB User

Oh wow! jeez, I didn't realize how long it takes someone to get diagnosed usually. I guess it was really good i had such a concrete symptom that leads to looking into the thyroid function (lack of period). I have been on .05 mg of Synthroid for 5 days. I was diagnosed a week ago today.

Closed Thread