It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 05:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User
Unhappy If it's not a thyroid problem, then what is wrong with me??

Maybe I'm just having an overall crappy day today, but I'm feeling quite down on myself..

For those of you that don't remember my story: Strong family history of thyroid problems (cancer, large goider, thyroidectomy..) I have quite a few of the symptoms of hypoT, and yes, all my labs (I have yet to have a FT3 test - which hopefully I can get soon) come back normal - and I've even had my doctors tell me I'm depressed, it's all in my head, and my mom did not pass thyroid disease on to me. I have an appointment on March 2 with a natural practitioner that specializes in treating symptoms AND lab results, so I have my fingers crossed she'll at least be able to talk to me about what's going on..

But I'm starting to feel like, what's the point? I realize the endo I saw the other week was a complete jerk to me, but what if he was right? What if my thyroid ISN'T the problem? What if this really IS all in my head, and I just don't realize it.. what the heck is going on in my body??

Seeing this natural doctor isn't going to be cheap for me at all, as my insurance will only cover about 20% of her cost.. It's funny.. I wouldn't think twice about dropping $120 bucks (that I really don't have) for my horse to be seen in an emergency vet visit, but when it comes to me? I really fight with myself.

*sigh* I'm sorry, I'm just in a terrible mood today. I think I need the sun to come out and melt some of our snow..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
(female)

kiya HB User
Re: If it's not a thyroid problem, then what is wrong with me??

Hmm, it sounds like you're going through similar stuff to me. I was only saying today to my mum - maybe I do have CFS, maybe everything's in my head and a psychiatrist can sort me out and make my symptoms go away. It's a horrible way to be feeling, so I get where you're coming from.

The thing is with depression is you can get that after you become ill - the stress of trying to find out what's wrong and not having the support of a doctor. Trying to do everything by yourself etc.

My boss at work is a doctor. He took a look at my labs and my TSH was similar to how yours was in December - 2.17. He admitted - after disagreeing that I have a thyroid problem - that theoretically my TSH could have naturally been around 1-1.5 and now it's started to rise, it's making me feel unwell. This could be the same for you, I don't know. But without knowing what your thyroid was doing before you felt ill, there's no way of knowing that 2.12 is the right level for you.

I'm working on the basis that I have CFS (which I don't really believe, but hey, both illnesses cause similar symptoms, so I figured no harm in thinking this at the moment) and have bought loads of meds that are supposed to help: vitamin B12, CoQ10 (this is great for muscle pains/aches), iron tablets, ginkgo biloba etc. I'm finding both the vitamin B12 and CoQ10 are helping quite a bit in just over a week since I started taking them.

I think what I'm saying is this: tackle the fatigue and other symptoms for which there are over the counter medications for - some of them really do help a little. See the natural doctor (I'm seeing an endo next week - eek!) and see what's said. Go from there. If you are developing hypothyroidism, your TSH will continue to rise and rise and in the end will go outside the normal range. That's what I figured anyway.

kiya

Old 01-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #3

diatron HB User

From my perspective, I'd get your thyroid meds in the correct place for you with your FreeTs in the upper third of the range and then begin thinking about other causes of your symptoms. Until you do that (getting your thyroid disease properly treated), you won't know what else is going on with your body.

I hope you find success with your new doctor.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

diatron - no doctor has seen it necessary to treat me yet. I'm unmedicated.

but yes, hopefully my new doctor will help..

Old 01-27-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I just want to offer my best wishes to you. I know how frustrating it is to feel so bad and be told you're making it up or it's all in your head. I spent 8-9 months of being sent to counselors and seeing my doc and going to the ER for what my doctor called "stress and depression". My doctor thought my bad family situation was causing my depression. As it turned out, it was the other way around.
And when an ER doctor tested my TSH, she found it to be 8.6. My doctor said there was NO WAY I could be feeling THAT BAD with a TSH of just 8.6. I was ready to cash it all in because I didn't want to live like that anymore.
Good luck with your new doc!
Barb

Old 01-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

barchin HB User

Irys, I just want to give you a word of incouragment as so many people on these boards have done for me over this last year. I had "normal" thyroid test results up to 1 month ago when I had a hyper result. My dr now say's I'm very low and dx me with Hashimoto's. She thinks that I may have some nero problems as well so she is sending me to nerologist. I had a working dx of Lupus with anouther dr. untill I tested normal for all the auto antibodies. I mention this as I have found that there are so many things that can look like others. I have found a wonderful dr that has promised to get to the bottom of my illness at a university hospital. I have had some horribul experiance with drs. making me feel like it was "all in my head" I thought that I would have to wait till I got so sick that someone would have to help me. I don't understand why drs. do this. All I can figure is they feel they should know the answers and when they don't thair ego's get in the way! I don't think they realize what it all means to us and how icky it make us feel. Keep looking for a good dr and I hope you find some answers. WE KNOW WHEN WE ARE NOT WELL! Take care, Marlow

Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
(female)

Lynn** HB User

Hang in there Irys! Stick with your plan to see the natural Dr. Don't fight with yourself about spending the money on yourself dear! Your health and well being is worth every cent! Hopefully the new Dr won't just give you the brush off..and get to what's going on.

Just know we all understand what your feeling like. Take Care, and hang in there!

Old 01-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Might not be a bad idea to see a psychiatrist---if they are good, they will order tests or look at the existing results and help you find the answer you need.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

shellshocked - you're not the first person that's suggested that to me.. though when I did go to one once before during college - I didn't find it helpful at all. Granted she wasn't looking at why I wasn't feeling good.. *sigh* Maybe if the natural doctor I'm scheduled to see doesn't pan out, I'll try that route..

Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Did you try HealthCheck USA? Its one the web...and you get the blood drawn from a local quest lab. A thyroid panel costs only 75 bucks. That's cheaper than a trip to the doctor or insurance.

If that doesn't float your boat...you can try calling around for an doc who prescribes Armour. Question the receptionist. You can call your local holistic practitioners too!

Good luck!

~S

Old 01-28-2005, 08:52 PM   #11
(female)

Lauriemomto7 HB User

Will try and be brief as I can, But I am at wits end. I am 37 yrs old and on 2/3 it will a year since I had 60% of my thyroid removed. I was placed on medication even though I was told my labs are in normal range , yet I am tired, no energy, depressed, moody, over all just feel like crap to be blunt. And all of this started since the surgery.

My one hope I was holding onto after waiting 6 long weeks to see this , What I was told Very good Endo Dr. who did listened to all my complaints only to tell me my labs are in normal limits and he does not know why I am feeling this way. Offering that maybe it is my home life, well Home life is fine and has not changed but for the fact my kids and hubby can not stand the way I feel as it effects everyone. He did change me to Armour thyroid but I feel no different.
And I am getting very upset that two Dr's are imping this is all in my head as I am not one to look for issues.
I just want to feel like I did prior to the surgery and it seems like I am asking to much from these Dr's.
Why won't they believe what I am feeling is true and only started after the surgery

Old 01-29-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Laurie:

I have encountered all the same stuff, and many others here have too. Thryoid patients are in an uphill battle dealing with the medical establishment, and there is no getting around that. The doc's training has told them...hypothyroidism does not present in the fourty-seven ways that they REALY do. They have a deep-seated bias against patients who have thryoid disease. You are wasting your time ramming your head against that wall.

I hate to say it, but if you really want to get well, I suggest you tell the family, you need time to research this and treat yourself back to health. You have support groups like this one...and you have ways to run those labs. You have symptoms, they are real, you are going to have to forge ahead, and not let anything stand in your way.

I'm just 39 myslef, and my world fell apart after t-t, which was supposed to be no big deal. I expected to go back to work in two weeks. I'm still trying to figure this increadibly intricate riddle out 10 months later.

We can help you, give you tips. You can pay to run labs, and get the medication rolling. There are some other very good sites on the internet too.

You've come to the right place. Glad to hear you have taken some good steps like taking Armour.

Tell us what dose you are on, and what your latest labs indicate. We will lend a hand if we can. You are not nuts...and you deserve some help out of that awful place.

~S

Old 01-30-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

softcrush - I'll have to check that out.. I'm assuming I can get both my free levels checked with a thyroid panel?

Old 01-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Laurie:

There is a thryoid panel by that Healthcheck USA...calls for (the bare bones and it is called "Thyroid Panel") T3FREE, T4FREE and TSH.

Now, if you decide to try and go through a doc, be careful. Sometimes, a thryoid panel includes stuff that won't tell you what is really happening and excludes the important ones! I know...its really quite maddening.

Hope that helps!

~S

Last edited by softcrush; 01-30-2005 at 05:28 PM. Reason: clarify some verbiage

Closed Thread