It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

lnocera HB User
New here - I hope someone can help

I was diagnosed with multinodular goiter in March, 2004

Put on 50 mcg of Synthroid which alleviated some symptoms (fatigue, night sweats, swelling eye lids, hives, muscle pain).

Went to see Endo in Sept. TSH was 0.33 - (range .35-5.5). She said that she wanted to increase my dose to 75 mcg because my TSH wasn't suppressed - she said this has to be done so that goiter doesn't grow anymore.

I tried the 75 mcg, but I felt like I was on heavy dose of drugs - felt like I was racing. I did this for one day only and then went back on my 50 mcg.

The past couple of months I've been having shortness of breath, cold hands, indigestion-alot, pressure on throat when I lie down, thickened mucus. I called the Endo to tell her about the shortness of breath, cold hands, etc. My lab results on 1/3/05 were:

TSH - 0.37 (.35-5.5)
FT3 - 3.22 (2.3-4.2)
FT4 - 1.2 (0.9-1.9)

She said that my symptoms are not a thyroid problem and my levels are fine. To me she is contradicting herself because my TSH is STILL NOT suppressed - it has gone up!! What's the matter with these doctors????

Am I going crazy? It looks to me like I should increase my Synthroid. I thought I would try taking my regular dose - 50 mcg and then take a 1/4 of another pill - total dose about 65 mcgs. Anyones opinion would be great - I can't stand this feeling that I can't take a deep breath.

PS - is Meep a doctor? She seems very knowledgeable.

Thank you. Lea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: New here - I hope someone can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnocera
I was diagnosed with multinodular goiter in March, 2004

Put on 50 mcg of Synthroid which alleviated some symptoms (fatigue, night sweats, swelling eye lids, hives, muscle pain).

Went to see Endo in Sept. TSH was 0.33 - (range .35-5.5). She said that she wanted to increase my dose to 75 mcg because my TSH wasn't suppressed - she said this has to be done so that goiter doesn't grow anymore.

I tried the 75 mcg, but I felt like I was on heavy dose of drugs - felt like I was racing. I did this for one day only and then went back on my 50 mcg.

The past couple of months I've been having shortness of breath, cold hands, indigestion-alot, pressure on throat when I lie down, thickened mucus. I called the Endo to tell her about the shortness of breath, cold hands, etc. My lab results on 1/3/05 were:

TSH - 0.37 (.35-5.5)
FT3 - 3.22 (2.3-4.2)
FT4 - 1.2 (0.9-1.9)

She said that my symptoms are not a thyroid problem and my levels are fine. To me she is contradicting herself because my TSH is STILL NOT suppressed - it has gone up!! What's the matter with these doctors????

Am I going crazy? It looks to me like I should increase my Synthroid. I thought I would try taking my regular dose - 50 mcg and then take a 1/4 of another pill - total dose about 65 mcgs. Anyones opinion would be great - I can't stand this feeling that I can't take a deep breath.

PS - is Meep a doctor? She seems very knowledgeable.

Thank you. Lea
Meep is not a dr just well informed and he is a he not a she.

I doubt the increase of 50 to 75 only one day made you feel the way you did. T4 meds take weeks to build in your system so just one day would not have made enough difference to actually feel it.

Your FT4 is still below where it needs to be, it should be closer to 1.6 and your FT3 should be closer to 3.63
Perhaps its not the increase that bothers you but the med itself? A lot of people have trouble with reactions to Synthroid, it made Midwest go hyper very quickly and I know of many others who have not been able to tolerate it.

I would try the suggestion you mentioned of taking the 50 and then the 1/4 of the pill, if this works well then try taking 1/2, if you start to feel like your racing again I think I would request a different brand of meds, there are many to choose from.
But you are right, you do need to increase and get your levels up a bit. I have the same problem when I have low Free levels I have shortness of breath, indigestion problems etc etc. I think you'd feel better if you got your levels up a bit.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by dea4; 01-27-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
(female)

lnocera HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. At least I don't feel like I'm losing my mind. And thanks for the info on Meep - I apologize for calling him a her.

I wonder if the 1/4 more of the tablet will make a difference. Is it dangerous to jump from 50 to 75 mcg?

Lea

Old 01-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

Just a thought for you. I was started on 200mcg of synthroid. WAY TOO MUCH!! I when to an endo two weeks into that dose. At that time I felt no signs of being hyper. He lowered me to 125 immediately. Shortly after my lowered does I became very hyper feeling. Jittery, shaky etc. etc. I called and asked to have it lowered more and they told me no. That it takes some time to come down from the high dose and to just wait it out. He was right.

My point being, try the higher dose. It takes awhile to notice the difference. Give it at least 2-3 weeks.

And maybe your doc is right about having something else going on. ?? Good luck.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. At least I don't feel like I'm losing my mind. And thanks for the info on Meep - I apologize for calling him a her.
No need to apologize, many have gotten it confused and referred to him as a her, I guess because most people with thyroid problems are generally women not men. Meep is a wealth of info, we are lucky to have him on the boards.

Quote:
I wonder if the 1/4 more of the tablet will make a difference. Is it dangerous to jump from 50 to 75 mcg?

Lea
25mcg is about the standard dose increase, so no, its not dangerous to jump that amount, you wouldn't want to go any higher at anytime in a dose increase because med increases can be like trauma to your body, slow increases are the key.

Closed Thread