It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User
What Dosage of Synthroid Should I Ask for?

I have previously posted here. I have a heavy family history of hypo thyroid and Hashi's and have been having symptoms for years now, especially profound exhaustion. I routinely have a TSH of over 2.5. I see the endocrinologist next week. I am prepared to push her as much as I can to start me on thyroid meds. I have printed out the articles about sustained levels of over 2.5 being indicative of hypo, when coupled with symptoms.

My question is what dosage should I seek (of synthroid)? I don't want to let her get away with starting me on some miniscule dosage just to mollify me.

I am not on any thyroid meds presently. Thank you.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User
Re: What Dosage of Synthroid Should I Ask for?

You really have to start out on a small dosage, if you are put on a high dosage, it will push your body into a hyper state - and you really really don't want that.

You should ask your doctor to start you on a small dosage, and retest your bloodwork again in 6-8 weeks, THEN re-evaluate yourself to see if you need to up your dosage. That's how it needs to happen..

oh, and you should also be tested for more than just TSH.. You need FT3, FT4, and both antibodies - ideally before you start medication.

Last edited by irys; 01-27-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

I must agree with irys, you never want to start on a high dose of thyroid meds, it can be like trauma to your body, slow and low is the key, start with 25mcg and then retest and slowly move up.
Also I agree you need to have your free levels tested, they are your actual thyroid hormones, the TSH is a pituitary response. If you have only had your TSH tested then you really need the others tested before starting meds. Ideally they should test your FREES and test you for antibodies as well as test your Totals, all those should be evaluated to see if you indeed have a thyroid problem or possibly a pituitary problem.
Most likely you do have a thyroid problem with your family history and the fact you have had symptoms for a long time indicates you may have antibodies which means you could have Hashi's which is also very hereditary.

If you have a thyroid problem then there are many med options, don't get stuck with Synthroid if you can have a choice, although most drs will push Synthroid it doesn't work for everyone.

Keep us posted

Last edited by dea4; 01-27-2005 at 04:18 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User
Cool Re: What Dosage of Synthroid Should I Ask for?

dea4 and irys are so right with starting small with the dose. I made the mistake of going to a GP instead of an Endo. He started me on 200mcg of synthroid. He kinda freaked I think when he saw that my TSH ws 393. I was on that dose for two weeks and went to the Endo. He immediately dropped my dose. Needless to say I went hyper and it was miserable. Start small. Recheck in 2 months and see if you need a bump. Being overmedicated is just as bad as have no treatment at all. Trust me.

Last edited by Stacia; 01-27-2005 at 04:23 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

My doc started me on 12.5 mcg, which I thought was way too tiny to actually have any effect. But I have definitely noticed an improvement even with this small dose. My case is similar to yours, with a TSH that has never gone higher than 4. I go back for more blood in a month and then get to look at my symptoms and the bloodwork and figure out if I need to increase or not.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User

Thank you for your wise advice. They are running free T3, free T4 & TSH. She planned on giving me my results at our Feb. 3 appointment, but I am inclined to ask for a copy in advance of the meeting, so I can know what she might say.

I know she won't prescribe Armour, so I am inclined to start with synthroid and see if it does the trick. She supposedly is not opposed to adding T3 in, so I will leave that open as a future possibility.

Thank you!

Cindy

Closed Thread