It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #1

Its Megan HB User
My New Doctor Scared Me To Death!!!

So I went to my new endo yesterday and he was on that thyroid top doctors site. Whatever. I waited in his waiting room for an hour and a half when they werent even busy...there was one person ahead of me. Fine, Ill get good service. No.
He scared the heck out of me! I expected him to tell me I would need a biopsy..which is what happened. So that was fine. He told me it might be painful..I was like okay yeah I imagine it would be. But then he goes on telling me that I should consider reading up on thyroid surgery because it is an option then he goes on to tell me all the worst case scenarios: that i could become calcium deficient and my hands can permanently claw up or that they can mess up my voicebox and I wont talk good or (and this is his exact words ok) you always have to have god on your side when someone is using anesthesia on you ya know? OMG! I havent even had a biopsy yet and hes telling me all these horrible things that can happen to me. Without any reassurance by the way. He didnt tell me anything but bad stuff...my boyfriend was so mad. The whole way home (2 hour drive) I couldnt get those horrible images out of my head!! Oh and to top it all off..he was asking what my symptoms were...and I told him one of them was shortness of breath when Im exercising and he got this weird look on his face and was like thats not normal for 19 year old girl..you need to have your GP check your heart. WHAT?!? I was like thats a symptom ive heard from lots of people, including my GP.
Sorry but I had to vent this...Im going to my GP on wednesday and telling him about my visit to that endo.

<3 Megan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
(male)

theman2000 HB User
Re: My New Doctor Scared Me To Death!!!

I am sorry to hear that your DOC told you those things with out and "bright side" to it.

My surgeon told me about the possiability of the problems with sugury. The calcium thing can be treated with calcium supplaments and thats only if the 4 glands that regulate calcium get dammaged. Also the nerve that controls the voice is located there as well. The dammage is usually not permanent if at all.

He has performed lots and lots of these and was not concerned with problems.

I would find another DOC that at least seemed to care a little.

Dave

Old 01-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I agree with Dave. Yes, those are complications...but only if the surgeon is an idiot.

I had my surgery on the 3rd, and I played volleyball last night on a league and I was fine! I had no problems with my voice. Yes, for about 3 days I couldn't yell it felt strained but I am fine now. I could breathe fine. My friend had her parathyroid removed but the doc never told her and her hands did that b/c her calcium levels dropped. But she took the calcium tablets and she is fine. I know of 2 people who had surgery around the same time as me (they don't live by me) they got their vocal chords damaged. One is bruised the other is more serious. It's a risk you take with surgery, but make sure you find a surgeon who has tons of experience and does several in a year or month is even better. My surgeon is professor at the medical college here. When I went in for my blood tests I was the 3rd person there for thyroid surgery that week. If you have an experienced surgeon, those "problems" are minimal.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
(male)

theman2000 HB User

OK, I just got back from the pre-admmission visit before surgery. I talked to an anesthesiologist(you know I spell checked that one) and asked him about complications. He said for someone my age(35) that its no big deal. I will be out for only about 1 1/2 hours total. He said the risks get higher when you get older.

If this makes you feel any better my 70yr old father in law just got a quad bypass that took 8 hours of surgery only to have 2 vertebrae fused together in his neck 2 months later with several more hours of surgery. He was fine both times.

Remember doctors can have bad personalities just as in any other profession. You might have a bad experiance with someone at a video store because of their personality. So you would probably not go back to that store. Of course there is a big differance between videos and your body. You need to find a doctor that can give you a little comfort insted of hellfire and damnation.

You might want to consider another doctor.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Yes I agree. For me, bedside manner is VERY important. If he makes you nervous in conversation, you won't be comforable with him doing surgery no matter how good he might be. And the stress that fear brings on can effect how well you tolerate any surgery. Finding a doctor you're comfortable conversing with and who can put you at ease is almost as important as finding one who has extensive experience.
Barb

Old 01-28-2005, 08:25 PM   #6

Its Megan HB User

wow thank you all for your replies! Makes me feel better to hear people on my side I think Ill be taking that advice, ive made an appointment with my GP on wednesday to tell him how much I disliked the endo. So hopefully that goes well!

Old 01-28-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
(female)

Soldtw HB User

Good grief, new doctor is in order.
I had my surgery 6 years ago, and they bruised my parathyroid glands, so I had to stay a few extra days, but other than that, I did great.
No need to stay with someone like that. I loved the surgeon, but hated the endo I was seeing, so found a woman doctor that is wonderful. Keeps a good check on me.
In fact going for a scan next month, seem to be having a few problems.
Hope you find a new doc, SOON!
Soldtw

Closed Thread