It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #1

Colomolo HB User
Saw Endo today

Hi,

I saw the endo today and showed him the results of the Ultrasound, multiple nodules cystic.

He said he wasnt that worried and if it were a single nodule he would have me see a surgeon next week. Instead I will have a biopsy in a few weeks and then see him again on the 18th March.

He seemed to think it was nothing to worry about and said it would be extremely rare to be malignant, not out of the question but rare.

He then said that I was a 'well man' and not to be concerned.

I had another bloodtest for TSH and TSH4 (I could see the number 4) ?

He said he doesnt wish to do the antibody tests because they are too complicated.

Anyway so now Im back on the waiting game

Old 01-28-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Saw Endo today

Too complicated? What's too complicated? Him writing the order for antibodies tests or his being able to interpret what the test results mean? Did they measure the nodules?
I'm sorry but that just ticks me off to no end when a doctor refuses to do a blood test because it's "too complicated"!
Can you get a copy of those test results and post them here?
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
(male)

theman2000 HB User

Hey, that's great news!

Strange him not wanting to do the test though. I always thought docs wanted to test anything and everything for more(for the lack of a better word) cashflow.

I went for a pre-op visit today and 2 of the nurses there had their thyroids removed. Another friend of my mother-in-laws just had hers removed to. One of the nurses had turned out cancerous but is fine. If you can beleive it, the nurse that had the cancerous nodule let the thing get the size of a golfball before she did anything about it. Even doctors she worked with were telling her for quite some time that she needed to do something about it, but did nothing.

I am glad your endo told you that if it was a single nodule you would be at the surgeon. It makes me feel that I did the right thing by going to my surgeon insted of going the GP route.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:44 AM   #4

Colomolo HB User

Yeah I was thinking of your situation when the endo said that. But I still dont feel happy about this at all. I feel Im no better off and will have to continue to wait again.

Bosmom I think the reason he didnt want to do them is because they cost too much here in the uk, basically I have had a bad stomach etc and skin problems, I have read on here about antibody tests so thought it would be a good idea as the one set of blood tsh tests I have had done came back within the normal range. He said the thing that causes stomach problems is a very rare type of illness and the tests take 2 days.

Well I know thats not really the case and I know its a very expensive bllod test so assume thats the reason.

I had blood tests again, TSH and t4 I believe.

The other annoying thing was he didnt even have my ultrasound results, he only had my uptake scan and an initial consultation with another doctor who said it was a single nodule. Luckily I had printed out the results from my GP and taken them with me.

I dont know what to think really. I feel quite depressed about the whole thing and cant believe that I have to wait until March 18th.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
(male)

theman2000 HB User

Once I get this thing behind me and I look back on it I bet the worst part of it will be the waiting for the unknown.

It is frustrating because it is not one of those problems that can be diagnosed by a simple blood test or in some cases a biopsy. Our friend had 3 biopsys come back inconclusive only to have her nodule come out and it be benign thankfully.

Although I would rather not have cancer, if I do, the cure rate is nearly 100%. I keep thinking about the worst case scenero and its not really that bad.

Just know that you are going to be OK whatever way it turns out.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Yes, theman is right. Tis best to keep your chin up and try to think positively. I know the wait is nerve wrenching.
I will keep you in my prayers.
Barb

Old 01-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
(male)

theman2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomolo
Bosmom I think the reason he didnt want to do them is because they cost too much here in the uk

This is sorta off topic but is medicine free in the UK like it is in Canada?

I can tell you first hand that in the US its not free at all. Just getting scheduled is the hard part here as long as you have insurance.

Reason I ask, is I wonder if there is different protocol(tests) that is followed for the same ailment in different countries based on their different health systems?

Old 01-30-2005, 03:01 AM   #8

Colomolo HB User

Well depends.....the diagnosis is free, if you are still alive by the time you get seen,
My situation has been very slow but for example my aunt found a lump in her breast and within two weeks had the biopsy and it removed.

So all the diagnosis is free but actual medication you pay for unless over 60 or on benefits. But you get it on prescription so its cheaper £6 for anything but that isnt always good. Like I needed some tablets which were prescribed, cost me £6 and then I found out you can buy them over the counter for £2.50

Closed Thread