It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

Sandy373 HB User
update: waiting on surgery

It's been a while since I've updated. I saw my surgeon this week and he said the nodule had grown 3x's it's size and is now 20cm. He wants to remove my thyroid immedietly. In a way I'm releived because I had radiation done to my throat when I was 17 and I'm now 30. That has put me at a higher risk for thyroid cancer. I'm just so nervous because of the radiation damage to my throat. I hope it don't complicate things. I hope this will fix some of my problems. I'm still having the shooting pains in my left arm and leg and nobody seems to know why. My neurologist just want me to stay on neurontin and watch what happens. But he doesn't think it's MS. I have another doctor that's waiting to reschedule a surgery to check for endometiosis. I feel like I"m falling apart. It's just been one thing after another. And to top it off they found out that I've got the epstein barr virus and I've been reinfected with mono. I never even knew I had it before. But that would explain why all I want to do is sleep. They think I"ve had it for 4-6mths now. How long is this suspose last? And I've been so emotional lately. I cry all day long about anything at all. And if I'm not crying then I'm steaming mad. I've fired two doctors and my poor husband has caught the worst of it. The doctors deserved it but my poor husband has been so good, I feel aweful for taking it out on him. I've been so sick and hurting for so long it's just wearing me down. For everyone that reads this: thanks for listening to me vent.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandy373; 01-28-2005 at 05:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: update: waiting on surgery

It's a great place to vent here.
I'm so sorry you're feeling so awful. As far as mono, I've heard it can last 6 or 7 months so hopefully, you're almost through with it.
I'm glad your doctor wantss to remove it and not just half of it like a lot of doctors do. Can I ask why you had to have radiation on your throat? Did you have cancer before? The reason I ask is I think I may have had radiation on my throat when I was very young but I'm not positive and there's no one I can ask now. My mom is dead and dad has alzheimers.
I've read that people with thyroid problems have a higher risk of endometriosis. My sister found out she had that when she had a hysterectomy.
I have trouble with shooting pains down my left thigh from the groin area almost to my knee. Those are EXTREMELY painful, I know. They almost bring me to my knees. I have some neurological problems myself that have for the most part gotten better since I've been on meds for my thyroid. Hopefully, your symptoms will subside once your thyroid is out and you're regulated on meds.
As far as taking it out on your dear husband, I did the same thing to mine. I was a _itch with a capital B! I HATED what I did to him. But I have to remember that that person was not me. I was very sick at the time. Remember, thyroid problems affect our brains too. That means our moods are affected, our personalities are affected, our thoughts are affected, our feelings are affected and our perception is affected. Please don't be hard on yourself. You're going through a hard enough time right now.
Barb

Old 01-30-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
(female)

Sandy373 HB User

Thanks Barb. You had all the right things to say. I really needed to hear that. I need to let my husband read it as well. And yes I did have cancer. It was larnyx cancer and it was extremely rare for my age. My vocal cord was damaged from it and now I always sound like I've been screaming at a football game the night before. Funny thing about it is a boy I went to school with got throat cancer when he was 21 and he never smoked or drank either. We never figured out what caused it. I took radiation treatments 5 days a week for about 7 or 8 weeks. How old was you when you thought you may had the radiation. If you can remember the hospital, you should try and get your records so you'll know.
All the thyroid symptoms being simular for so many should show this really is all connected. I wish I could convince my doctor of that. I can't even convince the nurse. She just looks at me like I'm crazy. But I wont be seeing her anymore now. I am going to really search for a good GP this time. Hopefully, I'll be back to normal soon and wont need one. blessed be

sandy

Last edited by Sandy373; 01-30-2005 at 09:31 PM.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Sandy did anyone say that the EB virus could be causing the shooting pains? Try looking it up seems I read somewhere it could do that also if you are hypo or hyper that will do it too. Or any way it does that to me. How is the neurontin working? Just curious because my PCP keeps threatening me with it. LOL Too bad the Doc's don't read this website if they would they might just discover that all of the strange symptoms are tied together and quit treating thyroid patients like they are crazy or worse. good luck on finding a new one.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I was very young. Maybe 6 or 7. I had a lot of trouble with my tonsils. I was in and out of the hospital at least three times a year with tonsilitis. I think I remember a doctor saying something about radiation to my mother but I don't remember if they did it. Good idea about getting the records. I'll have to do that.
If these doctors could just stop worshipping the almighty TSH and actually look at the whole picture, many of us would be feeling much better. Honestly, do docs not think it's possible that the reason they think we need Prozac is because they're driving us to insanity? I mean, trying to get a diagnosis..... The battle is unreal, isn't it?
Barb

Old 02-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
(female)

Sandy373 HB User

Thanks Benzi. My doctor didn't know enough about EBV to say if it can cause it, so he sent me to an infectious doctor to answer any questions I may have. The neurontin hasn't been too bad. It makes my brain foggy and seems to numb everything. I wouldn't want to stay on it forever, but does help with the pain. I haven't had any problems gaining weight with it either. I really do wish doctors would read these boards. I think it would be a great way for them to take notice without taking it personally. Doctors hate it when you tell them anything that's not in a medical book.
I agree Barb. They tell you stress will make it worse and then they do everything in there power to stress you to the max. It makes no sense. I have read where they did radiation treatment for tonsils years ago. If I'm not mistaken it was back in the 50's. I wish you luck on finding your records and good luck on getting a diagnoses. I have found myself jeolous of the people that walk in and walk out knowing what's wrong. There is nothing worse than knowing your sick and not being able to tell people what's wrong. Sometimes I feel like everyone looks at me as if I'm faking it. I was almost happy when they told me they had to take out my thyroid. Finally I had proof, something was serious. Anyway, I wish everyone the best of luck. Tomorrow is the big day and I wont be posting for a while. I'll update everyone as soon as I"m able. Wish me luck.

Sandy

Closed Thread