It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 05:08 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User
Finally losing weight

A few of you may remember me from some time back, but let me introduce myself anyway. My name is Michele, I'm 34 years young, and I was diagnosed Hashis/Hypo in the middle of 2003. I won't go into details with meds, but will tell you that when I was taken off of all meds to have a scan done in October of 2003, in those 6 weeks, I gained 30 lbs. and haven't been able to lose a single one until now. I exercise 6 days a week (elliptical at home and curves 3 days a week) and watch what I eat. I work my butt off. I am not one of those that tell people they don't eat anything, but really do. I watched everything that went into my mouth. I had just about given up.

I watched a few people I know(hair dresser I see every 2 months) lose significant amounts of weight and asked how they did it. I was told it was a combination on prozac and phentermine. I was skeptical, but decided to go see this Doc. anyway. I figured it was my last hope. I already do everything I can and my Free numbers look good so......

In the 4 days that I have been on this combo., I have lost 6 lbs. I am absolutely the happiest woman alive right now. Look up Dr. Michael Anchors and see what he has to say.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:24 AM   #2

Lydiia HB User
Re: Finally losing weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by miper
I watched a few people I know(hair dresser I see every 2 months) lose significant amounts of weight and asked how they did it. I was told it was a combination on prozac and phentermine. I was skeptical, but decided to go see this Doc. anyway. I figured it was my last hope. I already do everything I can and my Free numbers look good so......

In the 4 days that I have been on this combo., I have lost 6 lbs. I am absolutely the happiest woman alive right now. Look up Dr. Michael Anchors and see what he has to say.

How bizzare. I was just reading up on this just last night. It is pretty much for very obese people as it does require 2 serious prescription medications and medical supervision, but apparently it is very affective for most people.

There is something about the combination that makes it happen much more effectively than when either drug is used alone.

I am sure your DR already told you this, but for anyone looking on and thinking about it, phentermine is very addictive and should not be used for more than 3 consecutive months, and even at that , expect possible discomfort when coming off it.

The Prozac is usually covered by insurance but the Phentermine often is not. Also, the use of these two together for the purpose of weight loss is not FDA approved ( altho the DRs know how affective it is) so your DR cannot just say the two are for that, he has to say that you are depressed because you are obese ( it's not uncommon of course).
The Phentermine will run you about $45 a month with a prescription and $65 without. Of course, nobody should ever be doing this without a DR's prescription. CoughMexicoCough.

Phentermine can also cause high blood pressure and is contraindicated for people with hyperthyroid

I'm glad you found a solution. It's so hard to be doing everything the "right" way and not be rewarded with a single pound of weight loss. Modern medicine is just amazing isn't it?

I am still really grateful to have Levoxyl in my life. I cant imagine living with this disease before it existed. Must have been a truly horrible life.

Last edited by Lydiia; 01-30-2005 at 06:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

There have been no ill effects reported from people using this combo. except for one and she had problems beforehand. It is such a small dose, it is definitely ok if you're hypo. I would say absolutely read up on it as much as you can before you decide anything. I did my homework and knew all about it. I used to be in the medical field, so I watch everything that goes in my mouth.
I'm just sooooooooo happy! I wanted to tell everyone so that maybe it would help someone else.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Hi Miper! Great to hear from you again! And I'm so happy to hear you've found an answer to the weight problem!
Before I was dx'd hypo, I had SEVERE menstrual cramps. Went to the doc and he rx'd Prozac (said I had PMS). Let me tell you it TOTALLY took away my cramps! I don't have to be on it anymore since I started thyroid meds. But boy, was it a Godsend then.
Barb

Old 01-31-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Miper,
Good to see you back. Glad you are losing weight, it does wonders for one's self esteem. I take a generic prozac, but that is for depression. I thought that most antid's could cause weight gain. Maybe it is the two combos put together. I would be afraid of the other one. Did your doctor say how long you should be on it? Good luck with it.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:34 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

Well, I just had my first weigh in at the Doc's office yesterday and I have lost 11 pounds(1 week). I am so happy right now. Not only that, my insurance ended up covering the meds. Wow, how wonderful is that? Because it is a compounded medicine, somehow the pharmacy got the insurance co. to pay. saving me over 100.00 a month.

As far as how long I will have to be on it....he says most people can come off of it when they lose down to the BMI that is the healthiest, but some people can remain on a very small dose. Understand that this is a very small dosage to begin with. He says that something about the combination makes it not as addictive as Phentermine alone. I couldn't take Phentermine, it gave me the shakes. I seem to be doing great on this. Food is not on my brain 24/7 like it used to be.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know because I am a health nut and exercise junky....but I'm fat. I COULD NOT lose weight no matter what I did and now I have, so I wanted to share. I thought more people would be interested.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I'm very happy to hear that you have found something to aid you in losing weight. I, too, struggled with losing weight. Once I FINALLY started feeling better (and actually got some labs to back me up), I joined Weight Watchers & I've lost 38 pounds. I think whatever we can do to find success is the best approach!! Keep it up girl!

Old 02-03-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Hey Miper:

I do remember you!!! Thanks for the Update.

I remember you saying you are on 2 grains Armour/ 25mcg Synthoid. Is that still true and how are your numbers looking? I'm much smaller than you...and I'm taking 2 grains Armour and 37.5 mcg Synthroid. I'm still slogging around hypo at 106 pounds.

I'm just wondering if there wasn't some more room for adjustment with your T meds before getting involved with the pschotropic department. Just thinking of ya...I know the challenges, and the confusion can just be mindboggling!

~S

Old 02-04-2005, 03:50 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

I am on that same dosage. My TSH is very depressed and my free numbers are close to the top third of the range. My PCP is freaking out because all he sees is is my TSH and thinks I'm hyper, so he wants to lower my meds, but my Endo. is willing (God bless his wonderful soul) to keep me here even though it is so low. We're talking something like .004 or close to that. I just had my blood drawn Tuesday, so I'll know more about my numbers soon. They change so drasticly from one set to the next that I never can tell.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:58 AM   #10
(female)

BonBe HB User

Hello Michelle

Good to hear from you. We all oldies are lurking here as I know for me the support here is great.

Gee I am thrilled to hear you are losing weight. I have lost 12 pounds too, but not from a 'good way' oh well, But I had to give up my pilates....darn!! (giggle giggle) DD brought home a machine from her work (TSC) and I do my stuff on it, I believe it burns calories and gives me something to moan on about.

My last blood tests showed a marked improvment on my levels and since the increase (now almost a year later) I am feeling fine for the hypo stuff. Not crashing near as often as before, just other problems entered into my life....but hey we deal right?

Good to hear from you and I am GLAD and THRILLED you are excperiencing good weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Bonnie

Old 02-05-2005, 04:41 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

It is soooo good to hear from from you and know you are doing okay Bonnie. The last time I talked to you was right before you went on vacation last summer. How was it?
Great deal on your weight loss. It is sooo hard to do. I weighed this morning and have lost another 2-3 lbs. I love this combination and so far have had no ill side affects. I just wish I had known about it sooner.

Closed Thread