It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
(female)

Janice1033 HB User
Worried about Husband.

Hi there:

I usually post on another board but today I am really worried about my husband.

Not to sure what the symptoms of Hyperthyroid are so I thought I would discribe his and see what some of you think.

Loss of weight (35 lbs in the last 3 1/2 months)
Sweats ALOT even when it is -35*
Bad hand tremers(sp)
Anxiety attacks

In August he ended up in emerg. as his ankles had swollen up like baloons they did alot of tests then but not to sure if they tested his thyroid. They did not find any thing wrong at this time.

He does not seem depressed (he has had this before these symptoms are not the same).

If any one could help me with any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Janice

Old 01-31-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Worried about Husband.

HI Janice1033, I am sorry your husband is having these symptoms. I am new to thyroid disorders but it sounds like he may be hyperthyroid. I am sure others will give you more detailed information.

He should have a complete thyroid panel done. Ask that they include the Free T3, Free T4 (not just the T3 and T4), and thyroid antibody tests. From what I understand, these are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view of the thyroid. Post his results here when you get them. The people here are great and give excellent advice.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: Worried about Husband.

Was he or has he been on ANY medsin the last bit? Usually the hand tremors are indicative of a few problems, combined with the weight loss and it appears to be Hyperthyroid, possibly Graves' Disease. As said in above post, a full thyroid panel is necessary. If and when diagnosed with hyper, he will probably be given some beta blockers like Propranolol to help with the shakes and sweats.

How's his heart rate (pulse) and blood pressure? Current stress level?

Usually people with Hyper will have high resting pulses, somewhere at like 105 beats per minute and up, which is not normal. When I've gone hyper in the past, my pulse has gotten as high as 170 beats per minute but is normally aroud 105-112 when I am "calm" but hyper.

Arm yourself with information and don't waste an endo or doctor visit messing around.

INSIST on the following labs so you don't waste time trying to get properly diagnosed:

TSH
Free T3
Free T4
Total T3
Total T4 (Thyroxine)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies
Thyroglobulin Antibodies
...and, if possible TSI to check for Graves'

getting the above tests in one shot should at least rule out thyroid problems in one visit and you can move on to figure out the cause.

If he hasn't been to a good doc in some time, they will probably want to run a full metabolic panel, CBC and others to give him an overall chemical checkup.

Closed Thread