It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
(female)

theresainpa HB User
meds for life??

i was told by my doc that i am hypo and this was about 2 yrs back, my question is when your put on the meds do you have to take them for the rest of your life?? i went in with sympthoms of always being tired and sleeping alot so she tested my blood and came back with the results of being hypo, i was then put on synthroid and tested every few months everything seemed to be better and last blood work i got she said my levels are fine.. so she took me off my meds and now i am having the sympthoms of always sleeping again plus more this time around, i was also wondering what kind of sympthoms others have had with there thyroids, maybe i need a new doc too she dosent seem to have time for listening..thank you all for reading

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #2
(female)

scriv HB User
Smile Re: meds for life??

I was diagnosed hypo and told I would need thyroid hormone replacement meds for life as my thyroid was no longer producing the goods....

My knowledge is that hypo thyroidism cannot be cured....but is treated by replacing the natural hormone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User
Re: meds for life??

My mom had a nodule removed in the 70s and, although she still has half a thyroid gland, she has been on synthroid ever since.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Thyroid meds are for life, there are very rare cases where someone may be able to get off meds and do fine, but for the most part the hormone replacement will be for life.

I don't understand why your dr took you off meds when your levels were o.k. evidentally she does not understand thyroid disorders and does not know how to treat them. It can be very dangerous to be taken off meds.

I would find another dr and be tested. You NEED your FREE T3 and FREE T4 checked as well as your TSH. Treatment should be based on the FREE levels and they must both be in the upper 1/3 of your labs range.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
(female)

theresainpa HB User

thank you for your replies , i went to the doctors today thinking i was going to get blood work to figure out what my levels are at but it didnt happen. with been so drawn down i managed to be a week early for my appt...lol it aint till next wed .. but i will let you all know what happens when i get it all checked out ... would some one be able to help me read my results when i get them because im not going to have a single clue as to what they mean..ty all again

Old 02-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Yes, when you get your results just post them and the ranges here and we would be glad to help you understand them.

Closed Thread