It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 06:53 AM   #1

bebettersoon HB User
Smile Cholesterol and Hypothyroid

Jan 17, 2004 Reference range
TSH 5.50 0.30 - 4.70
T4 Free 10.5 9.1 - 23.8
Free T3 4.0 2.5 - 5.7
Cholesterol 5.82 Below 5.20

Apr 29, 2004
TSH 2.32
T4 Free 11.6
Free T3 4.1
Cholesterol 6.28

Jul 28, 2004
TSH 0.44
other tests not done

Oct 27, 2004
TSH 1.22
T4 Free 14.0
Free T3 4.2
Cholesterol 7.28

I have been on 0.1mg of Eltroxin (Levothyroxine) since March 2004.

So, my questions are:
1. Is it normal to have the TSH reading start to go back up during winter months? I notice mine has started creeping back up.
2. Is my TSH affecting my cholesterol? I am now on 20mg of Pravachol to help lower Cholesterol readings. I am due to go and have it checked again in a week or so.
3. My C-Reactive protein levels have been creeping up. Can anyone tell me what C-Reactive protein is?
Thanks a bunch!
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Cholesterol and Hypothyroid

The second-leading cause of elevated cholesterol is hypothyroidism. Your TSH is not affecting it, because TSH becomes a moot point once you're being treated for your hypoT. However, your low free thyroid hormone levels probably have a lot to do with your continuing high cholesterol. If you ever reach an optimal dose of thyroxine, your cholesterol will likely go down to normal levels. (This assumes that the primary factors that influence cholesterol - diet and exercise - are good.)

It is theoretically possible to need a higher dose of thyroid med during the colder months, but I don't think that's your problem. It doesn't appear that you've ever had a high enough dose. I think an dose bump is in order so that your free hormone levels rise into the top third of their lab ranges. Your FT4 should be around 19, and your FT3 about 4.7-4.8. That's when most people feel their best ... and when their cholesterol stabilizes.

Sorry, I don't know much about C-reactive protein as relates to thyroid disease. It indicates inflammation at work somewhere in the body, and is a risk factor in the CVD process. If I were you, though, I would not take the statin, but instead would push for the increase in thyroxine in order to lower the cholesterol.

Last edited by midwest1; 02-02-2005 at 04:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Cholesterol and Hypothyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
The second-leading cause of elevated cholesterol is hypothyroidism. Your TSH is not affecting it, because TSH becomes a moot point once you're being treated for your hypoT. However, your low free thyroid hormone levels probably have a lot to do with your continuing high cholesterol. If you ever reach an optimal dose of thyroxine, your cholesterol will likely go down to normal levels. (This assumes that the primary factors that influence cholesterol - diet and exercise - are good.)

It is theoretically possible to need a higher dose of thyroid med during the colder months, but I don't think that's your problem. It doesn't appear that you've ever had a high enough dose. I think an dose bump is in order so that your free hormone levels rise into the top third of their lab ranges. Your FT4 should be around 19, and your FT3 about 4.7-4.8. That's when most people feel their best ... and when their cholesterol stabilizes.

Sorry, I don't know much about C-reactive protein as relates to thyroid disease. It indicates inflammation at work somewhere in the body, and is a risk factor in the CVD process. If I were you, though, I would not take the statin, but instead would push for the increase in thyroxine in order to lower the cholesterol.
i seem to need a bit of a bump-up when it's really cold -- like ::::now[shiver shiver]::::

jb

Old 02-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #4

bebettersoon HB User

Well I just realized that my pain threshold has gotten worse again. My body is starting to ache and my legs feel like they are made of cement again. My face is looking puffy as well. Even though I have started exercising again I am putting on the pounds (I know muscle weighs more than fat but my jeans are TIGHTER!). My ESR has now jumped to 30 (high side of normal is 12) and when my thyroid dropped to .44 my ESR went from 25 to 9. Time to go get more blood tests I think.;0(

Old 02-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: Cholesterol and Hypothyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebettersoon
Well I just realized that my pain threshold has gotten worse again. My body is starting to ache and my legs feel like they are made of cement again. My face is looking puffy as well. Even though I have started exercising again I am putting on the pounds (I know muscle weighs more than fat but my jeans are TIGHTER!). My ESR has now jumped to 30 (high side of normal is 12) and when my thyroid dropped to .44 my ESR went from 25 to 9. Time to go get more blood tests I think.;0(
ESR?

my eyes are puffy, i sleep all day (or could), i've gained weight, and i'm constipated ... all this began b/f i started taking a new anticonvulsant, but i KNOW the AC has most to do with it, so i'm having to increase my dosage of synthroid ... i'd gone down to 75mcg in the fall, now i'm up to 225 again ...

phooey ... all this upping and downing can't be good for the body (never mind the mind)...

jb

Old 02-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

jb, hi there. Not sure if you recall or not but I'm also in Ottawa. I spent a good part of the fall trying to find someone who'd treat me and my hypoT the way I thought I should be treated. I finally found what I was looking for over at a clinic on Richmond Rd. The one right above Nutrichem near Lincon Fields. They are a private clinic, but I've come to understand one gets what one pays for.

I haven't felt this good - well I've never felt this good. I'm on Time Relase T3, synthroid, bio-identical progesterone cream and I've had to increase my supplements (I was Vit D, B12 and B6 deficient). The stuff I have learned from these people has convinced me that simply treating with thyroid hormones isn't enough. Being hypoT depletes so many things in your body that even when your levels are where they should be you can still feel like crap. In my case my serotonin and dopamine levels were barely detectable, my estradiol and progesterone were that of a menopausal woman (I'm 38) and for all the anti-oxdiants I was taking, well I might have as well been throwing them down the toilet. It's only been 3 weeks, put it this way, it's only been three weeks but I've been able to quit smoking.

They do an initial visit with the director of the clinic for free, if you're interested.

Nat

Old 02-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cool Re: Cholesterol and Hypothyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
jb, hi there. Not sure if you recall or not but I'm also in Ottawa. I spent a good part of the fall trying to find someone who'd treat me and my hypoT the way I thought I should be treated. I finally found what I was looking for over at a clinic on Richmond Rd. The one right above Nutrichem near Lincon Fields. They are a private clinic, but I've come to understand one gets what one pays for.

I haven't felt this good - well I've never felt this good. I'm on Time Relase T3, synthroid, bio-identical progesterone cream and I've had to increase my supplements (I was Vit D, B12 and B6 deficient). The stuff I have learned from these people has convinced me that simply treating with thyroid hormones isn't enough. Being hypoT depletes so many things in your body that even when your levels are where they should be you can still feel like crap. In my case my serotonin and dopamine levels were barely detectable, my estradiol and progesterone were that of a menopausal woman (I'm 38) and for all the anti-oxdiants I was taking, well I might have as well been throwing them down the toilet. It's only been 3 weeks, put it this way, it's only been three weeks but I've been able to quit smoking.

They do an initial visit with the director of the clinic for free, if you're interested.

Nat
i've been seeing an ND on carling ave (she's very good) and she's given me supplements (licorice, a liquid vitamin, omega3, quercetin, B12 shots, also T-100, and acupuncture), but i haven't had the tests you describe ... i know the place -- are they MDs?

thx,
jb

Old 02-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Yes, there are MDs there. I'm seeing one MD (Dr Ragan) and the Director of the Clinic, Kent MacLeod, a biochemist and pharmacist.

Nat

Closed Thread