It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #1

akahoneypotqt HB User
Exclamation Elevated Calcium/ionized Calcium. Parathyroid? Endocrinologist Referral? Hellllpp!!

ELEVATED CALCIUM AND IONIZED CALCIUM? PARATHYROID PROBLEMS? HAD A CALCIUM TEST DONE, DOC SAID IT WAS ELEVATED. SO SHE REPEATED IT WITH A IONIZED CALCIUM. IT WAS ELEVATED TOO. SLIGHTLY, BUT ELEVATED. SHE REFERRED ME TO A ENDOCRINOLOGIST. SHE ALSO WANTS TO HAVE MY PARATHYROID CHECKED. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS STUFF? MY T3,T4, TSH AND ALL THAT IS NORMAL. I'M SCARED TO DEATH NOW!. CAN YOU GET ANYTHING LIFE THREATENING FROM THIS STUFF? I AM A PRETTY HEALTHY 37 YR OLD. KINDA HAIRY. BUT OTHER THAN THAT! LOL. I AM BORDERLINE DIABETIC, WITH SOME HORMONE ISSUES, BUT OTHERWISE FINE. I HAVE NO HYPO-HYPER THYROIDISM SYMPTOMS THAT I CAN SEE. ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THE HECK THIS MEANS? HELP??

Old 02-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #2

akahoneypotqt HB User
just an update.. i was reading up on this stuff and i can't find anything! i hope someone can help here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: Elevated Calcium/ionized Calcium. Parathyroid? Endocrinologist Referral? Hellllpp!!

Yur parathyroid glands control your calcium levels and not to scare you, sometimes a tumor, a nodule or cyst can interfere with that pushing up your calcium levels. Do an internet search on "parathyroid" and "high calcium test" and you'll find loads of info. The parathyroids are close anatomically to your thyroid gland but they are not necessarily connected. you can have a bogus thyroid and good parathyroid glands and vice versa. Do you know what your calcium score was? I know it should never be over 11 if I recall correctly.

For now, just chill. There's a million things that can yield high results. Did you happen to take any Tums or something before the blood work? Do some research and learn about the potential problems but dont kill yourself over it until further testing is done.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:11 PM   #4

akahoneypotqt HB User
Re: Elevated Calcium/ionized Calcium. Parathyroid? Endocrinologist Referral? Hellllpp!!

It was 10.6 so she did a ionized calcium. I don't know those results, but I know it was elevated too. She is ordering a parathyroid blood test, and has already referred me to a endocrinologist.. Anything else?

Old 02-02-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

kiya HB User

Raised calcium levels are associated with what's known as hyperparathyroidism.

Type 'hyperparathyroidism' into a search engine - I've taken a look at this condition too as many of my symptoms seem similar, but I know you can have a raised calcium level and no symptoms. I'm sure you'll find most of the info about this reassuring.

kiya

Old 02-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #6

akahoneypotqt HB User

Thanks Kiya, I will look it up, and let you know If I find anything myself. Of course, the more posts the merrier! I truly enjoy hearing from everybody

Old 02-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #7

akahoneypotqt HB User

Well, thank you very much! I have to have the parathyroid blood test done tomorrow, and visit with the endocrinologist tomorrow as well. I HOPE that this is just a fluke. I don't need this crap! ( LIke anybody does!). I'll keep you updated.. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #8

akahoneypotqt HB User

Ok, I got some results from blood tests today. My ionized calcium is 1.42 the range is (1.00-1.35) so it is a bit elevated. But! I got my test results from a few years ago in 2002 and my calcium was elevated then as well, but nobody said anything about it then. I wondering if my doctor is just being very careful and checking/rechecking everything. She is an internal medicine doctor and everybody at the clinic said she is very thorough. THat is fine by me. I went into today and had a parathyroid test and a biochem profile done. Will get the results tomorrow when I got for my annual and then over to the main hospital to see the endocrinologist. Hope to hear from ya all soon!. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
(male)

jayv HB User
Re: Elevated Calcium/ionized Calcium. Parathyroid? Endocrinologist Referral? Hellllpp

Hi akahoneypotqt,
Any update on your case. I have recently been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and after some research on the disease I decided to go for the minimal invasive surgery procedure. I live in California, but I have scheduled a surgery beginning of June with Dr.Norman in florida. I would really appreciate if I could get any feedback on this or anyone who has experience in the MIRP procedure.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #10
(female)

cayura HB User

I've had hypothyroid for over 30 years. Now it seems that i am hyperparathyroid too! Another test they do is the parathyroid hormone, and then the scan and a 24 hour urine test for calcium and phosphates. They did not see the malfunctioning gland on the scan. I was going to wait for a second opinion, but my bp has goine from 105/65 to 170/100 so I have a call into a doctor who did the op for a friend of mine i am also checking out Dr Norman from the endocrine web site and would like to hear from anyone with inof on him. I'm a bit scared myself!

Old 05-06-2005, 08:07 PM   #11
(female)

cayura HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayura
I've had hypothyroid for over 30 years. Now it seems that i am hyperparathyroid too! Another test they do is the parathyroid hormone, and then the scan and a 24 hour urine test for calcium and phosphates. They did not see the malfunctioning gland on the scan. I was going to wait for a second opinion, but my bp has goine from 105/65 to 170/100 so I have a call into a doctor who did the op for a friend of mine i am also checking out Dr Norman from the endocrine web site and would like to hear from anyone with inof on him. I'm a bit scared myself!

Old 05-07-2005, 08:31 AM   #12
(female)

skewch HB User

As I now have hypOparathyroidism, I am the opposite. But since I am on medication to help the calcium absorption, my endo is watching me closely so I don't end up with hypERcalcemia. You have to be very careful with high calcium levels because of the risk of kidney stones, renal failure, and osteoporosis.

My advice is that you keep on top of your high calcium levels. My endo is really great and she is keeping me well informed and has told me of the risks I might face in the coming weeks while adjusting my medication.

You're in good hands if you are getting a parathyroid hormone test (PTH). I have had 2 done so far, but no results, as they take a month to get back. I am pretty confident that I don't have any parathyroid hormone and that this is now my new life.

Closed Thread