It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

joykr27 HB User
Levothyroxine?

Hi everyone

I saw my endo again today. I have tested positive for TPO antibodies, and some other thyroid antibody. I have many hypo symptoms. The endo agreed to a trial of meds. I know my Tsh was 3.0 and free t4 was 1.1. I don't have lab ranges in front of me.

Well question is he gave me a perscription for Levothyroxine 50 mcg. Does that seem like a good amount? Do you think it will help? How long does it take to start feeling better?

Thank you

Old 02-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Levothyroxine?

That's what most people start out at. Your doctor should do another blood test in 6-8 weeks to see if your levels are where they should be.
aYou said that your doctor gave you an rx for levothyroxine. I'm assuming it is generic. Have you filled it yet? The reason I ask is because many people don't do well on generic and have to switch to name brand. Check this out.

http://www.thyroid.org/professionals/advocacy/04_12_08_thyroxine.html

The fillers and binders between manufacturers can make a huge difference in absorbtion. You should also know that any levothyroxine should be taken on an empty stomach. You should not eat for 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after taking the meds. The meds are absorbed better on an empty stomach. Also, you should not ingest calcium within 6 hours of taking your meds as that can also interfere with absorbtion.
I take generic levothyroxine and I do very well on it. Better than I did on the name brand Synthroid. I take the generic made by Mylan pharmaceuticals. I like it so much that when my dog was dx'd hypo, I insisted on the Mylan brand for her too.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
(female)

joykr27 HB User

Thank You so much for you reply!

I am going back to the endo in eight weeks. I have taken it for two days now and feel fine so far. I was afraid .

How long does it take to do anything if it is goint to?

Thanks

Old 02-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

It takes about 6-8 weeks but some people say they notice a difference before. For me, it took about 7 weeks.
Who is the maker of your levothyroxine?
Barb

Old 02-04-2005, 05:15 AM   #5
(female)

joykr27 HB User

Thank You again

How do I find out who makes the med? I looked on the bottle and there is no indication of who makes it.

I think it is definetly generic its called Levoxyl tab 50mcg.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

Levoxyl is a brand name - which I use. I think mine is manufactured by Jones... but I don't remember. It works for me, though.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Levoxyl is a brand name that is made by Jones Pharmaceuticals. Jones is a subsidiary of King Pharmaceuticals in case you want to look up more information on it.
Barb

Closed Thread