It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
(female)

rainswirls HB User
Question Anyone here Hyperthyroid?

Hi guys! I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism about 3 years ago .....I havent met very many ppl that have Hyper......alot of them are hypo.
Same goes with my family history. All of them that have Thyroid Issues are Hypo .....Im wondering If that was in my family history why am I Hyper?

Old 02-03-2005, 03:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Re: Anyone here Hyperthyroid?

I was hyperthyroid, I am now euthyroid and in remission from Graves disease.

If the cause of your hyperthyroidism is autoimmune (like Graves disease), then it makes sense with your family history. Autoimmune diseases tend to cluster in families, but it does not have to be the SAME autoimmune disease.

For example, you could have a mother with Hashimoto's Thyroiditits (autoimmune HYPOthyroidism) and you could get Graves disease (autoimmune HYPERthyroidism).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 03:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi yes l have hyper t graves doing block and replace. My mam has hypo my mams brothers daughter is been dxn now pos hashis theres a few of us on the board with hyper ,hypo is more common than hyper what treatment you taking? Nice to meet you

Old 02-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Hyper here...well sorta...had surgery.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Same deal...I got Hashi's with hyper symptoms sometimes and my mom had Hashi's and thyroid was removed. Its a little less typical for a man to get it than a woman from what I hear, but the maternal ties are pretty closely related to this disease, as is my case. Thanks mom!

Old 02-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
(female)

skools HB User

K9Mom....do you mind if I ask how you became eurothyroid and in remission? In other words...I'm being nosy and asking what treatment worked for you? :-) Thanks!!

Old 02-03-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Sure, I don't mind at all.

I took Tapazole, one of the anti-thyroid medications. I started at 20mg's a day and the dose was lowered as my Free T4 and Free T3 lowered into the normal range. Eventually I was taking only 5mg a day (divided into two doses of 2.5mg twice a day). I stayed on that low dose for close to 2 years, then lowered to a mere 1.25mg a day, then nothing as of July, 1003.

I also took Atenolol, a beta blocker, for over a year in the beginning.

I got yearly TSI tests to see if my antibodies were disappearing (some medical studies suggest that this is a sign of remission).

Total, I was taking Tapazole for 4 years and 3 months. I took my time, lowered my stress level by incorporating yoga and light exercise into my routine. I avoided all sources of high iodine...seafood, iodized salt, contrast dyes in medical procedures, multivitamins with iodine, kelp/seaweed (as in sushi), and red food dyes.

It was a long road, but totally worth it. For the majority of the time I felt good while on the low dose of meds....but while my thyroid levels were changing I felt crappy. It was not until my levels were STABLE in the normal range for a few months, at the specific point where I feel my best that my feeling of well being came back. Then I could say that I was my "old self" again.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:02 AM   #8
(female)

rainswirls HB User

Im on Methimazole......the generic for Tapazole. Ive been on It since I was diagnosed Ive been on 5MG for about a year and a half. How were you all diagnosed? mine Is scary. I also have panic disorder and I was at home and I had an attack called 911 and when they came my heart was going 190! they couldnt slow It down ...took me to the Hospital and I was diagnosed. before then I didnt even know I had a thyroid...lol

Old 02-04-2005, 04:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Yea it is scary l suspected for a few years before, my mother one day said to me 'your ill! get to the doctors youve an over active thyroid!' before that l thought maybe its just 'anxiety' but l wasnt 100%convinced and lm not one for going to the docs unless l feel like lm dying so off l went after much begging and crying on my mams behalf and said l think ive an overactive thyroid he asked me how? so l told him as much as l could and also showed him a check list he took my blood pressure l set the alarm off twice and rang for another doc to be present l had no idea of the concern needless to say alot of people got their appointments to see him late that day lol while l was thoroughly examined seen to blood took the lot there was that much concern he rang me not long after l got home to say 'you have thyrotoxicosis'(typo?) the accepted level is 5 yours is 47!!!' and ive been to hospital on numerous occasions to with heart going beserk, where they hooked me up to ecgs give oxygen fit canulas bloods etc it amazed me how little they know about hyper when you arrive (esp the nurses as you see them first )they know about hypo and mixed the 2 up often l often had to stop them to tell them it was HYPER l have! it is scary and will settle down eventually not everyone goes through it as bad as some but when it is bad you know your not alone thanks to these boards good luck

Old 02-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #10
(female)

skools HB User

K9Mom...Yes..I want to know more about antithyroid drugs...That darn endo barely mentioned that and went right to discussing RAI. I am on a search now for another endo. The one I saw said that taking antithyroid drugs-if they don't work and I have to end up having RAI said those drugs would make the RAI less effective (even after going off them for the 2 wks. or whatever) I was surprised to see you took them for 4 years. My doc. said after 12-18 mo. we know if they're working/gonna work or not (??). Also...I know it's different for everyone...but did it take a long time on those meds. to start feeling ok? Did you have hair loss with your Graves? That was my first symptom...and call me vain...but it REALLY bothers me (I'm only 36-very self-conscious about that). Also...I just spent a year last year losing the 30 pounds (the HARD way-diet and exercise...this was all before I was sick) I've kept since before kids. Before I got sick...I was in the best shape I think I've ever been in....gaining weight that's out of my control scares the HECK out of me!!! So any treatment scares me. Part of me wants to go into denial and do nothing. Thanks everyone for your posts the support is invaluable!!

Old 02-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

The Thyroid for Dummies book is the easiest read to understand what hyperthyroidism/Graves is and the available treatment options. You can also read Elaine's articles on Suite101.com here: [url]http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/graves_disease[/url]

While it's true that most doctors will tell you that you can only take antithyroid meds for 12-18 months, Dr. Rubin in his Thyroid for Dummies book explains that there is NO REASON why someone who tolerates antithyroid meds cannot take them for as long as needed....he even uses the example of someone who has high blood pressure and is on meds for life as an example...taking an antithyroid med is virtually no different as long as you have no adverse reactions to it.

It has been my experience that there are not a lot of doctors out there who truly understand Graves/hyperthyroidism. They are MUCH more familiar with HYPOthyroidism....maybe that is why they all want to nuke our thyroids and make us hypo so badly? *grin* All the more reason for YOU to do some research and educate yourself on your disease....this is the only way to tell if you are being treated properly or not....otherwise you will be blindly following whatever your doctor tells you.

It is a flat out lie that RAI will not work if you take antithyroid meds. That's just pure BS and it sounds, to me, like you are being railroaded into RAI.

You have 3 treatment options: Anti-thyroid meds, surgery or RAI. All of them have their pro's and con's. You have to decide which one of these YOU feel most comfortable with.

The meds are the only option that preserves your thyroid gland AND gives you the option to change your mind down the road and try another treatment if you become dissatisfied with the meds.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #12
(female)

skools HB User

K9 mom...you have been/are a great help to me...I appreciate it!! I am leaning more in the direction of antithyroid meds. --least invasive and not permanent!! Can always change my mind later..like you said. :-) Just looking forward to getting the book you recommended and checking those websites (thanks!!).

On these meds...how often is it recommended to get labs done? I have a pretty severe anxiety of needles/taking blood (pretty much all medical procedures) that I'm gonna HAVE to get over--or Ativan or something like that will have to become my friend (smile).

Old 02-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

It is very important to get these specific tests done every 4 weeks if you choose antithyroid meds:

Free T4
Free T3
TSH

You also will want to have a liver function panel and a white blood cell count done BEFORE you start the antithyroid medication and then again about 4 weeks after you start the meds. There is a very small risk (less than 1%) of a reaction to the antithryoid meds that can cause a problem with your white blood cell count and/or your liver. So get these things checked BEFORE you start meds as when we are hyper our liver function tests can be elevated from the hyperthyroidism also our white blood cell count can be LOW from the hyperthyroidism. If you do not get these checked BEFORE you start meds, when they later run these tests on you, they will assume that it is the antithyroid meds causing the high liver results and low WBC...not so...so have them checked before you start the ATD's.

The thing about ATD's is that you start at a relatively high dose, then as your blood work shows your thyroid levels coming down, the medication dose is reduced. The goal is to get yourself on the lowest dose possible that will control the hyperthyroidism. So this means regular thyroid blood tests, every 4 weeks until you are on a low "maintenance dose" (usually 5-10mg's of Tapazole/Methimazole or 50-100mg's PTU). Once you are stable at your "maintenance dose" you can then go longer without new labs done.

If you do not get regular thyroid labs done then you will become HYPOthyroid because eventually the dosage you start at will become too much and you will become overmedicated which sends you HYPOthyroid.

The starting dose of ATD's is higher at first because the medication not only has to interfere with your body making new thyroid hormone...it also has to block the thyroid hormone that your body has already made and is storing. Once the stores of hormone are used up, then the ATD dosage has to be reduced.

I know I'm hitting you with a lot of information all at once....that's why I recommend the Dummies book....you can refer back to it at times when you need it to clarify things.

Take care and good luck!

P.S. You will probably find that once your thyroid levels are normal that your anxiety will be GREATLY reduced. In the meantime...don't look when they draw your blood. I STILL can't look!

Last edited by K9Mom; 02-04-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #14
(female)

smileyk HB User

Wow...I was just diagnosed Graves and reading this thread has been very beneficial to me! Thanks so much!!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #15
(female)

rainswirls HB User

you know I was SCARED to death of needles before I was diagnosed! Then after having my blood taken soooo much for the labs and such I got over It. You can get over It too. I promise you!! I dont look when they do It and that seems to help alot too. Its always better when the count to 3 or something so you KNOW when to expect the stick.
I was wondering ....being Hyperthryoid/graves...does that have anything relation to anxiety and panic disorder? I was diagnosed with both within weeks of each other.

Closed Thread