It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

effected_orchid HB User
NEW and confused

To make a long story short. I am 35 female mother of 4. I developed thyroid problems after my sons birth in 91. I was so tired I was not able to drive and could hardley stay awake long enough to make supper. The dr put me on 50 mcg of levothyroxine and monitored. As time went on he had to up the doses and I was stable at 150. all was well for 5 years and then I thought I was pregnant, no period felt crazy hard to breath morning sickness etc etc and they retested my thyroid when then ran preg test and my thyroid was was over active so I ended up off the pills for 3-4 months and then slowly build back up again. during this time I was feeling no good all kinds of problems thought I was crazy. BUT I learned to live with it. Time marches on and the next problem sick again. Now they tell me I have graves' lots of blood and checking etc and things settle down again. 2years later I am crazy again. Now I have crying for no reason. heart pounding, vomiting for hours in morning usuaully and then I feel fine...panicking about all kinds....low tollerance for everything on some days and swing over to the way happy other days. Once again learn to live with it.....change doses moved and had to get a new dr. He wants to send me to an endo. long long wait. But I had my first appointment. Oh yes the other problem and why i went in was chest pain. and they all seem to be concerned because my bp is to low and fall when i stand up. New dr doesn't want to play with my meds because he says it is dangerous????? and endo says putting thyroid problem on back burner and checking cortisol and says he needs results cause this is dangerous...........but silly me for gets to ask what or what I don't see him until monday...the tests were done this monday morn how long does it usually take for the results?other syptoms are eyes feel like they have sand in them abd cold all the time and i have been waken at night with checst pain. I also brusi easily at times I will have big black bruises but they don't hurt and i have no idea how i get them and they take weeks to go away....I forgot to tell him that part....do you think it is important?

Thanks all
I hope I don't sound crazy.....but I really don't have time to stop and thing about stuff with the 4 kids i just go until I can't go anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
(female)

effected_orchid HB User
Re: NEW and confused

forgot to mention they did tell me i was Hashimoto and i am hypo and I am compinsated
Sorry for all spelling boo boos

Old 02-03-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Wow, you are dealing with a lot. But, none of it is not something I or anyone else on this board have not experienced at some time, we hear ya, we know what you are going through.
First you need a really good dr, one that will listen AND will do the right tests.
Did they test you for antibodies or how did they come up with a diagnosis of Hashi's and Graves? Do you know what tests they are doing? Did they test your thyroid in the last set of bloodwork that was done or just your cortisol? If so get a copy of the tests and post them with the ranges when they come back, it usually takes a few days to get test results back.
I have a feeling that the drs over the years have not been doing the correct tests to treat the thyroid condition. All of your symptoms are very thyroid related, you just need a dr that knows what he is doing.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I think your Doc is doing the right thing in testing your cortisol, Your blood pressure being that low indicates you might have adrenal fatigue. This can be a dangerous condition. I hope as soon as that is cleared up he will go back to the thyroid issues. look up adrenal fatigue and see for yourself. This can be associated with thyroid disease I would recomend the Addison's board on this site.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
(female)

effected_orchid HB User

He is running all the thyroid tests and cortisol and mag and potass he is running alot i thought. I get the results on monday when i go back to see him. Do I just ask for a copy of the results? He mentioned the adrenal something that sits ontop of the kidney...thats what has him worried. What kind of questions should i ask? I guess I want a diagnosis. Way back when my gyn said he was not surprised and figured i would have problems with my blood sugars too but none as of yet. I am assumming this is all caused by the huge blood loss after delivering my son or was wondering....I always had bad pregnancies and I was in hosp for 8 weeks with him because of pre mature labor and they were giving me steroid shots to help keep the pregnancy until he was viable. I was just wondering if that could have caused some of this?....is this ever going to go away? or straighten out.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:16 AM   #6
(female)

effected_orchid HB User

fdorgot to mention they tested the antibodies and my antibodies I think were at 19

Old 02-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

I think you may have several issues going on, but Benzi is right, they NEED to address the possibility of an adrenal issue before addressing the thyroid issue, many drs fail to do this and then thyroid meds don't really help.

Ask for copies of your bloodwork, they are yours and you have a right to a copy.

This WILL get better but it WILL take time.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #8
(female)

skewch HB User

Referring to an excerpt from your post: "I also brusi easily at times I will have big black bruises but they don't hurt and i have no idea how i get them and they take weeks to go away....I forgot to tell him that part....do you think it is important?"

My sister has lupus (also auto-immune disorder/disease) and she started getting black bruises on her legs and she was freaked out and could not understand what they were because they didn't hurt and she had so many. While you're at your doctor you should make sure to tell him about them, and you could possibly get an ANA (anti-nuclear antibodies) test.

Good luck on Monday!

Old 02-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
(female)

effected_orchid HB User

well I am on the down side again arggggg I have been in bed almost all day hardly up at all. I am cold, it is hard to breath and my chest still hurts. temp runs @ 94-95 and i am tired. Daughter says my lips are blueish purple but i think it's because of my paleness. How do you know when to go in? I have had this chest pain for a while and when I went in last time they told me a had vertigo and the tracing they said I had lots of pvc's ?? and that my heart was small something to do with the fact that I must be athletic.. I lol ( I am not I can hardly swim anymore can't take the heat and really can't take the cold but it still does not help me must....this is starting to scare me....does anyone know why I have now heard the word dangerous 2 times? but nothing to go with it? I have had this for 13 years and never really looked into it...I thought I was going crazy at times and now I find out that my health is at risk. I have been doing alot of reading in the different boards and I do fit a few areas....so maybe i will be able to pull myself back together again.

Thanks
for letting me vent

Old 02-04-2005, 01:47 AM   #10

KBT's mom HB User

Dea4- quick question- Why is it necessary to treat an adrenal issue before treating one's thyroid if they are hypo? I have seen this referenced before but don't understand it. I thought maybe that if one had a mild adrenal issue that by treating the thyroid with t3 it might help the adrenal glands.??
Thanks!

Old 02-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
(female)

effected_orchid HB User

I get the results tomorrow afternoon. I will post what I am able to get. Hopefully then I will feel a little better about things. I never really worried about the strange things until I started getting the chest pressure and dizziness thing.and thats how I have been the last few days...it's probably from stress of the unknown.
This place has been wonderful for information....but I am wondering if info is a good thing cause things that I though were normal...or for me anyways...were my warning signs BTW I am on 112.5mcg synthroid

Old 02-07-2005, 08:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

The boards work well for most of us. I am the type of person who has to know EVERYTHING so these boards work great for me. It is the unknown that scares me. When I had thyroid cancer I was a nervous wreck for the 6 weeks of waiting for a diagnosis (internet was not invented yet) As soon as I finally got the diagnosis I was fine. You see then I knew what I was fighting. The healthboards have also saved me from having a couple of procedures that would have messed up the results of some much needed tests, and help me put my worries in their proper place. You are understandably nervous and I can see from your posts that you have been feeling pretty sick. It sounds to me like you have a good DOC. Let us know if we can be of any help with anything or if you just need to vent..................

Closed Thread