It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #1

Its Megan HB User
Red face Have to get a biopsy! Im scared...

I know its supposed to be not a big deal but...I dont see how it can be...its a needle in your neck repeatedly
I know im a baby. So seriously...will you guys tell me how it felt...no lying either! I detect these kind of things...
And is there anything else I should know about it or about what to do after or anything...any interesting facts???

Im freakin out here

Old 02-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: Have to get a biopsy! Im scared...

Replying to tell you it will be OK, Sorry to say I had my biopsy it was a frozen section and done while under. So I only know what I hear and thats usually good. I had a breast biopsy done though and that was super easy did not hurt a bit EVER. The worse part of all of this is the WAITING. Good luck let me know how it all comes out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I had a fine needle aspiration (biopsy) on the nodules in my neck. It was nothing - and I'm not saying that just to make you feel better. I have seen some people that didn't have as good of an experience as I did. For me, it did not hurt AT ALL. It was just the thought of it - it's weird to have a needle piercing your neck -- it still gives me the heebie jeebies, but the act itself was nothing. I think he took 4 samples, so I was stuck 4 times. I did not bruise, my neck did not swell up. It did not hurt. You will be fine!!

Old 02-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
(female)

southwest1975 HB User
Wink Re: Have to get a biopsy! Im scared...

Hi Megan...i just had mine done on Tuesday. Its not that bad, I have 4 nodules and my Dr. took 4 samples from each one so 16 pokes. You get a local first and its a little sting I had five ..then the radiolologist finds the nodules and the doc takes the samples. Mine took about 40mins all together I'm alittle bruised and have had a bit of a sore throat and earache the last couple of days but thats about it. Honestly really its not that bad. when do you have yours?

Old 02-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #5

Its Megan HB User

I have mine March 7 ..a month away..lots of waiting!! Yeah the heebeejeebee thing is right because thats all I can think of. Plus I made the mistake of looking it up online to see some info on it and these pictures were there with no warning of a guy with the needle in his neck and i was like OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! and exited out real quick but the images still remain. They should really warn you about that thanks for your replies! I hope mine is as easy as yours

Old 02-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #6

Its Megan HB User

OMG... I just talked to the receptionist and the doctor wants me in next week instead of march 7. So I immediately started asking a million questions about if they numb it and stuff and she said no they dont because u cant numb a throat then i wouldnt be able to swallow i would choke. And then I was like omg so your gonna poke me a lot of times arent you...and she laughed and was like it sounds worse than it is...dont worry maybe I shouldnt answer anymore of your questions. lol Im freaking out here!!! next week!! OFFER ME SYMPATHY PLEASE. k thanks.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
(female)

raleigh86 HB User

I had my biopsy in the hospital's radiology dept. It was nothing, however, I had something to numb it. All I felt was a little pinch, then nothing. It only took a few minutes. Mine was negative.

Take care...

Raleigh86

Old 02-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #8

Its Megan HB User

she informed me that it is not guided. and im thinking not guided? how the hell do you find it then? i dont want them just digging around. maybe ill call my GP tomorrow and ask if that sounds right. I know im a total freak about this but ....yeah i am.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
(female)

raleigh86 HB User

I think my biopsy was done in radiology because some nodules were small and the doctor felt it was too risky to try and hit a small one doing procedure in her office.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #10

Its Megan HB User

mine are small too...he said they have to be 1 cm to biopsy it and mine are 1.3 cm

Old 02-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Honestly its good you ask. You are not a baby. I had a terrible time with mine...and didn't expect it because, EVERYONE said it was a sinch. It depends on the where the nodule is located. Mine was in a place that there are tons of nerved endings next to the trachea. It spent me for the day and the bruising was really quite awful.

Now...I'm really skinny...so that probably made it worse for me too. Being unprepared made everything far more trying...and shocking. Its good that you are asking questions. I should have made arrangements to take the day off...because it wasn't "NOTHING" like I was told.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2005, 05:52 AM   #12

Stessy HB User

I think not guided means there won't be a radiologist there. The Dr. will just feel for the lump and go for it. (Don't know about the numbing in this case.) My Endo was going to do it that way, but my lump was so deep she couldn't get a feel for it and rescheduled me for a different Dr. who would be assisted by a radiologist. They numbed it and gave me a little ice bag for after. The only other thing I would warn you about is the Endo kept telling me it was nothing -- in and out office visit. But when I went to the the Dr. with the radiologist my friend insisted going with me. Which the Dr said was a good thing I wouldn't be driving myself. ANd, they suggested I not go back to work after. Not things my Endo went into.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I think I would insist on an US guided FNB, I had both mine done that way. This way the dr can "see" where he is going with his needle. I would think the dr would prefer it this way too.
Mine wasn't that bad either. I just had my last one on Jan6th, benign and the nurse said to find a spot on the wall and "Go to that happy place" it worked for me.Takes your mind off things.
Good luck

Old 02-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
(female)

southwest1975 HB User

I just had mine done on Tuesday so the experience is very fresh on my memory I couldn't imagine my Dr. doing the biopsy without it being guided. The US had to mark where they were and then continued guiding him throughout the entire procedure...and as far as not numbing you..I don't know what they mean by you won't be able to swallow and could choke my doc gave me about 5 shots of lidocaine and after about every 2-3 samples he would tell me swallow. My nodules though are very deep so maybe thats why he needed to have them guided. I too have a skinny neck and one of nodules is right in the front of my throat so maybe thats the difference between numbing or not. I tried to prepare myself the best I could but you know you can never do it perfect all I can say is that each experience is a bit different It's definetly not a sinch but not that bad either. Today is the three days later and I feel good a little sore and bruised but not that bad. I work from home so I just relaxed for a couple of days I know that if I was still at the office I would have had to have taken at least a day off. Theres also the emotional side to this whole thing I would have never thought 8 weeks ago I would be having a biopsy done 3 weeks before my 30th birthday. I have always been healthy..2 kids a great husband and now this. But I have to say that this website really helps it really sets my mind at ease to know are so many out there just like me. All i can say is hang in ther megan you'll be just fine. Stare at the ceiling and think happy thoughts.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #15

Its Megan HB User

Thank you everyone for your responses It really helps to have people on here who care. I really am nervous... mostly just because Im not exactly sure whats going to go on. I have a really great doctor and I trust his opinion and he says this doctor is a personal friend of his and he is very very good. I trust that. Im still not sure if its guided or not...the nurse said they were under the impression it was guided and that if it isnt not to worry because the doctor is very good and him and my GP have spoken and both know whats going on with me and where the nodule is and everything. So it sounds like they are on top of things. Im also concerned (however not as much as I am about the biopsy itself) about the bruising because I just got a job today and I start the day after I get the biopsy..and I dont want them to be like what the heck is that?! or since Im only 19 I dont want them to think its a hickey or something like that. I know Im reading too far into this. I tend to get like this when Im nervous. Ok well thank you everyone for your responses!! It really does help to have people who have gone through it themselves and that can tell me about their own experiences. Take care and wish me luck!!

Megan

Closed Thread