It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

nevadachic HB User
Unhappy Please Help ..... I am so scared

I really need to get something off my chest. I am 24 years young with two little children and also 2 step children. I went to the doctor today for depression. He prescribed me zoloft and blah blah blah. then he was checking my breathing and asked me how long I have had the lump on my neck. I said WHAT LUMP? So anyways he said I need to go for an ultrasound. So he got me in today and they said they would call me back in an hour. They didnt so I called them and the doc said he wouldnt get the results back until fri. I told him that the doctor that did the ultrasound said he would call me in a hour so he said let me call her and Ill call you back. Well two hours passed and he called me back. He said sorry about the wait she forgot to call me. He said well, you have a solid mass in your neck so either your thyroid is not working or it could be cancerous. However he said if it is cancer it is the best kind to have because it is easy to remove. He said I am not telling you that you have cancer I just dont want you to write it out. So now he wants me to go in tomorrow for a biopsy. I am soo scared. Is cancer supposed to be painfull? I have NO pain. I didnt even know I had a lump!!

I have to go to Salt lake city to see an ENT. I am soo scared. What are my chances this is cancer?? Omg!! Cancer. THis couldnt really happen to me........could it??

Old 02-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Please Help ..... I am so scared

Very likely not. Over 95% of thyroid nodules are NOT cancer. The ones that are cancer are somewhere in the neighborhood of 98% curable... so the doctor is sort of right about it being the "best kind" of cancer. (Easy for him to say... It's not his neck, right?)

I'd be willing to lay money on the cause of your depression being a thyroid imbalance. It's a classic thyroid symptom, and can improve dramatically once the thyroid problem is addressed.
Hope I set your mind a little more at ease. Please let us know what happens next.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Yes...its wise not to worry until you get to the bottom of it. Midwest is right, the odds are that you don't have cancer. I had cancer in my thyroid gland, and it was painless.

Its good that you persued your symptoms, and you have to give yourself credit for that much. Hang in there!

~S

Old 02-04-2005, 05:24 AM   #4
(female)

nevadachic HB User

does it make a difference if it is solid or not? the doctor said it is a solid mass

Old 02-04-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I think all nodules are pretty solid. A lot of people have thyroid nodules (I had two!) I did not have to get mine removed, but a lot of people do. My grandmother was in a similar situation as you. She was talking to a friend and threw her head back to laugh and her friend was like "what's that on your neck". She had NO IDEA. It was a cancerous nodule, but they were able to remove it and she was fine. No problems whatsoever. Chances are, yours is NOT cancerous, so please don't worry too much (I know that is much easier said than done).

I also agree with Midwest that your depression problems stem from a thyroid imbalance. It will be important to get your thyroid hormones checked (Free T3 & Free T4). I am sure the doctor will also order a TSH test. You need to be sure and ask to be tested for antibodies (antibodies are what cause Graves disease/hyperthyroidism and Hashimotos/hypothyroidism). I had Graves with nodules, but my grandmother just had a lump -- no antibodies. It will give you a clearer definition of what is going on in your body to have them tested though. You will be fine. Just keep coming here and soaking up all the knowledge you can. In the meantime I suggest you check out the book "The Thyroid Solution". It is a great read and really can give you a lot of information!

Old 02-04-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
(female)

nevadachic HB User

thank you. I am really scared that the whole biopsy thing is really gonna hurt. I am a needle phobic.

Closed Thread