It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
(male)

theman2000 HB User
Its Done

Thanks a lot for all of your encourging posts. They removed the nodule yesterday about noon. The frozen section showed nothing but good cells.

The hospital where I got it done was so nice. They even numbed the iv area befor they put it in.

Sometime during my daze I recall the doc saying it was a large calicifcation or he also could have been ordering lunch for himself and I missunderstod.

I did get sick twice after surgery twice. I got lots of pain meds at the hospital and some for home. I am sorta taking them but I am sure I will not use them all.

I showered this morning with the tape on. They kept telling us that it is no problem to shower. Just pat the area dry.

Again thanks for all of your support,
Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 09:43 AM   #2
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User
Re: Its Done

Welcome back from the hospital. Congratulations on the good news!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

That is great news! Rest up and take care.
Bonnie

Old 02-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #4

Its Megan HB User

Yay! Im glad the surgery was a success!!

Old 02-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Glad it was easy. T
hat stinks you got sick!! ugh, I couldn't imagine that one. When I came out of my "sleep" after surgery I was feeling sick and they gave me meds right away to settle my tummy so I wouldn't vomit.

Happy to hear everything went well.

April

Old 02-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
(male)

theman2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPow
Glad it was easy. T
hat stinks you got sick!! ugh, I couldn't imagine that one. When I came out of my "sleep" after surgery I was feeling sick and they gave me meds right away to settle my tummy so I wouldn't vomit.

Happy to hear everything went well.

April
I was so thirsty when I got out. I kept drinking grape juice after grape juice. Then I got that feeling of getting sick. So they handed me one of those little bannana shaped puke bucket things. I took one look at that and ran to the bathroom.

I am running a low grade fever about 100. They tell me thats normal. I remember having surgery when I shattered my elbow 15 years ago. I also had a low grade fever then as well. I guess its the bodys way of fixing itself.

Dave

Old 02-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

So good to hear it all went well! I didn't see this thread until after I posted on the other one. Sorry. I'm very brain fogged waiting for insurance to kick in full swing so I can get meds again.
Barb

Old 02-05-2005, 05:18 AM   #8

Colomolo HB User

Thats great news Theman. So what happens now? I dont understand a frozen section, is that like the biopsy?

I imagine Im going to have to have surgery.

But Im so pleased it went so well

Old 02-05-2005, 07:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I hate those banana things...seems so small...

Again, glad to hear you are ok.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #10
(male)

theman2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomolo
Thats great news Theman. So what happens now? I dont understand a frozen section, is that like the biopsy?

I imagine Im going to have to have surgery.

But Im so pleased it went so well

If feel much better today, about 48 hours since surgery. I have only taken my pain meds 3 or 4 times. Ibuprofin is working just as good. The sore throat has gone away and it only felt like the kind of sore throat you get from dry air.

I have had a slight fever under 100 degrees. I had the same thing happen when I had surgery years ago for a broken elbow.

The swelling around the incesion is going down to. I plan on going back to work on Monday but I will see how it goes.

Colomolo, the worst part about this whole thing was waiting and wondering.

I had the surgery to remove the nodule that ended up being benign. But the piece of mind was well worth it. I still have not told my GP that I had it removed. He will figure it out next time he sees me.

Dave

Old 02-05-2005, 09:43 AM   #11

Colomolo HB User

Im so pleased that all worked out well for you. I just mine was sorted, sadly Im having all sorts of symptoms alongside mine and they dont know if its connected or not.

Well at least thats over for you, you must feel such a sense of relief.

Old 02-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
(male)

theman2000 HB User

[QUOTE=Colomolo]I dont understand a frozen section, is that like the biopsy?
QUOTE]

I just noticed that I forgot to anwser your question. The frozen section is a slice of the nodule that they take while you are on the operating table. It gets sent to patholigy while you wait. If it would have come back bad or inconclusive then the doc would have removed the other side of the thyroid.

They also sent the nodule to another patholigist after surgery for further dissection. On rare occasion it can look ok at surgery but come back bad later. Depending on how bad it comes back determens if another surgery to remove the rest of the thyroid is nessacary. There are a few people on this board that have had 2 surgerys.

I am not sure what this one was made of, but the doc said it was benign through and through. I will ask for the full report at the follow up visit.

Closed Thread