It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

lnocera HB User
Confused - Goiter and Lyme

Hi,

I was diagnosed with multinodular goiter in March, 2004. Put on Synthroid to suppress the growth. Then about 6 months later got diagnosed with Lyme (blood results were neither positivie nor negative, but showed Lyme antibodies) Doctor said I must've had it for awhile. I went on antibiotics for 3 months and couldn't take it anymore. I am feeling better although I still have some symptoms - cold hands, feet, hair shedding, belching.

My questions are:

Is anyone else being treated for multinodular goiter?? (My blood values were fine in March, 2004 - before meds)
TSH- 1.19 (0.35-5.5)
FT3 - 3.3 (2.3-4.2)
FT4 - 1.41 (0.8-1.9)

Current results as of 1/05:
TSH 0.37 (.35-5.5)
FT3 - 3.22 (2.3-4.2)
FT4 - 1.2 (0.9-1.8)

How do I distinguish between Lyme symptoms and thyroid?

Do I need to stay on Synthroid forever.

I am in the process of find a new Endo. - prior one didn't have much experience and I wasn't satisfied with her answers or lack of.

Thanks,
Lea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
(female)

dallasmommy HB User
Re: Confused - Goiter and Lyme

Hi there, sorry you have had to go through so much.
I have hypothyroidism and lyme disease. It is very hard to distinguish between the two diseases as far as symptoms go and I have read journal articles saying that there is a relationship between the two. My dr. just started me on armor thyroid(she said it was more natural?) and we are still waiting on orders for antibiotics. I would recommend you check the lyme boards. 3 mos of antibiotics are rarely a long enough course of therapy for someone with late lyme disease,esp if you are showing neurological, arthritic or cardiac symptoms. I am far from a med. prof. but I hope you know that there are more out there. Maybe when the lyme disease is resolved, the thyroid problem will go away too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
(female)

lnocera HB User
Re: Confused - Goiter and Lyme

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I was supposed to do about 5 months of antibiotics, but I couldn't stand it anymore. I know my doctor is going to give me heck about it. I'll check out the lyme boards. Thanks again.

How did you find out you had lyme?

Closed Thread